'Mequel' project previews and...

Ascension64

I have a few questions:

I thought BGT already had some sort of transition?

What sort of stuff are you planning? The post says it is humorous dialogue--is that just for one scene, or the tone of the whole mod? Is it intended to explain what happens to characters between the games?

... and are you coding for BGT only, BG1, or Tutu too?

Good questions. No official announcement has been made on the modification, because I need to make sure the modification will definitely go ahead before going to all that effort. But since Andy asks, I may as well tell people what this is about...

The modification that I am working on is a new content modification that attempts to tie a few loose ends together between Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast and Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn. Therefore, it is not simply a transition mod where the end of BG1 skips to the beginning of BG2. As I still intend on a merger with TuTu and BGT, this mod will firstly be developed for TuTu (although, it is quite easy with a TuTu2BGT converter I wrote to port it straight to BGT, which may be important to get more interest in the modification).

In terms of more specific details about the content, it is all up in the air at the moment. The major goals of the modification is to resolve the manner and method of <CHARNAME>'s abduction by the Shadow Thieves, and to bridge the gap between joinable NPCs that appear in both BG1 and BG2. So as Andy suggested, it is intended as one goal to explain what happens to characters between the games. However, to make the modification more exciting (as all modder's do! :O ), there will be new adventures, new NPCs, and even situation-specific continuation of old non-joinable NPCs (I give Farmer Brun and Captain Brage as examples on this matter).

Finally, this modification is definitely only in its birthing stages (i.e. much planning to do, and a very very small test version is working at the moment). If people are interested and would like to help, then by all means give me a bell. The humorous dialogue requested in the link to the 'main' topic (although not-so-main any more) is for select scenes that have been planned, and is no way indicative of a skip-to-my-lou attitude/tone for the modification.

Any questions, post here.

Interesting, thanks for the answers. :O

How large are you envisioning the mod to be? By the mention of quests and so on I take it you are planning something more sizeable than just an extended cutscene. I assume you're going to stick to the existing areas in BG1, since that's where the party was--are you planning any modifications to existing people and places to note the death of Sarevok?

(I would be interested in knowing more about the mod, though am not offering to help at this time, due to having lots on my plate already. Good luck. :D)

How large are you envisioning the mod to be? By the mention of quests and so on I take it you are planning something more sizeable than just an extended cutscene.  I assume you're going to stick to the existing areas in BG1, since that's where the party was--are you planning any modifications to existing people and places to note the death of Sarevok?
Hopefully, not too much bigger than Ben-Hur, just better(!). The size of the mod I hope to achieve is AT LEAST a chapter. However, time and motivation may lend itself to a longer-lasting spate of gameplay. Currently, the mod will be developed (with the great suggestion of SimDing0) in three phases. Phase 1 will definitely involve existing areas of BG1, existing people, and reactions to the events that have transpired during Baldur's Gate (although Tales of the Sword Coast will probably not be involved at the moment), and will serve as a nice introduction for myself into heavy IE modding (not just playing around with WeiDU). However, new items, graphics, etc. is not off the cards in this phase, and I would prefer such things to be introduced.

For Phase 1, a bit like In Candlelight, I am taking the ARE files, renaming it so that it still uses original WED and TIS, and building the rest from scratch, taking into account what the area normally was like, who was there, what happened there, etc., etc. I am not envisioning every single BG1 area to be modified this way at present. Currently, access to areas would be restricted to Trade Way (the road connecting Baldur's Gate - FAI - Beregost - Nashkel), but there is certainly room for extra content in the other areas, although I don't really want to think about how massive that would be yet...

Phase 2 will take place somewhat in existing areas, but will involve new areas as well. This phase really gets into the meat of the story and will likely be more difficult than phase 1.

Phase 3 must conclude and result in the transition. Apart from all the pressures on conclusively concluding (no pun intended) the story, it is projected to involve all new areas and more new content than the previous phases.

When I get some more work done on the planning side of things, I will post up a preview of the synopsis that begins the modification so others can comment, help out, express interest, or whatever.

(I would be interested in knowing more about the mod, though am not offering to help at this time, due to having lots on my plate already. Good luck. :O)
Thanks. :D

Of course, everyone must be quite busy with their mods, real life, and so on at the moment. Also, I don't expect too many people to express interest in helping out at Christmas/New Year time, but as time passes by, should there be interest, I am happy to hear it.

As promised, the tentatively final (ahem...oxymoron) synopsis of the 'Mequel' project. Writers are still required for the situations listed over at the main SHS request topic, which can found on my first post.

Sarevok has been defeated, slain by the famed heroes of the Sword Coast, but the fallout of his malicious deliberations is immense.  Although the Chill and the Black Talons are in disarray after the fall of Ardenor Crush and Taurgosz Khosann, opportunists have taken to the road, attacking innocent merchants and travellers alike.  The roads are littered with befouled cadavers and the smell of rotting flesh.

As a result of the continuing raids on unfortunate merchants brave enough to travel the roads, the economy is faltering.  Mulahey’s poisoning of the iron ore in the Nashkel mines has been cured, but supplies go to Amn, not Baldur’s Gate.  The destruction of Cloakwood mines greatly exacerbates the problem.  Supplies, both in agricultural and military assets, are running low in all major locations.  With the Iron Throne shattered, the Seven Suns virtually obliterated, and the Merchant League struggling to recover from recent incursions, the city’s progress is spiralling to a halt.

As if these problems were not troubling enough, the impending war between Baldur’s Gate and Amn has not been averted with Sarevok’s downfall.  Rumours slither between the lips of nobles and commoners alike that the Zhentarim are behind the events plaguing the Sword Coast, and that Amn is in league with them.  Also, the murder of Duke Entar Silvershield and Scar is to have its foundation on the sharp blades of Shadow Thief assassins.  On the military front, Flaming Fist battalions have been marched south into Beregost by Angelo Dosan’s direction, ready to receive commands.  However, with Angelo disposed of, little order has remained among their ranks.  The heavy fortification of Nashkel by Amnish soldiers, and the coming of reinforcements, are obvious signs of Amn also amassing troops along its borders.  Baldur’s Gate would not stand a chance.

However, there is hope...

A Grand Duke of Baldur’s Gate, Belt, has asked you, the heroes of the Sword Coast, to deliver the facts of intrigue to the Council of Six based in Athkatla.  The message is simple: transport a sealed letter to the council explaining that Sarevok set up the entire operation.  You are chosen because of recent silence in relations between Baldur’s Gate and Amn.  Messengers have not returned, and rumours have begun to spread that both side’s messengers are being slaughtered by the opposing side.  Belt is certain that this is the work of opportunists, and entrusts you to reliably deliver the message.  However, more is at peril.  The citizens of Baldur’s Gate have heard about your confrontation with Sarevok, a spawn of the evil god of murder: Bhaal.  Nobles and common townsfolk throw suspicious eyes at you as you traverse the main corridors of Baldur’s Gate.  Superstitious whispers permeate the town atmosphere.  In the night, shadows sift along the walls of buildings, and every now and again, a scrape of sharp metal is heard; an invisible weapon.  It is no longer safe.  Without alternatives, you accept the task handed to you by Belt, pack your belongings, and leave the city under a stormy night undetected using the underground sewer network.

The future rests in your hands.

It sounds like a very good idea, but I could not help myself but smile seeing this:

and leave the city under a stormy night undetected using the underground sewer network

Perhaps, either stormy night or via sewers? Because, on a stormy night with plenty of rain in the sewers that empty into the sea there are worst things that could happen to the party than meeting Irenicus :O

If this mod ever gets finished and is done well, it will be the best mod ever. However, I'm afraid I'm going to have to be the killjoy and ask if this is not just a wee bit overly ambitious?
A little too much forlorn? Maybe. That's why one must plan out what he must do and take things one or a few steps at a time.

This is not a TC. This is not even a partial conversion. There doesn't look to be new areas involved in phase 1. There looks to be very few new types of content (I mean graphics, sounds, music, and the like) in phase 1. If you like, it works a bit like Baronius TGCe1: In Candlelight, but slightly bigger. New content will probably only be the hardest part of phases 2 and 3. I don't intend for the other two phases to be any larger than phase 1, and it will probably be smaller! We shall see, since all that is up in the air at the moment.

Finally, I think this problem can be handled. I cannot guarantee for sure, nor can I guarantee that it will all be finished in a hurry. But it is not like I will be leaving the IE modding scene any time soon, unless you know where I live...?!? :D

Ascension64 is as usual a mine of new ideas and I do love this latest one of his! A nice transition is what we really need to glue the two phases of the Baldur's Gate saga! I hope you can find the help you need with the dialogues. I'd volunteer if it was not that english is not my mother tongue and I'd not be up to the task. Good luck! :D

For Phase 1, a bit like In Candlelight, I am taking the ARE files, renaming it so that it still uses original WED and TIS, and building the rest from scratch, taking into account what the area normally was like, who was there, what happened there, etc., etc. I am not envisioning every single BG1 area to be modified this way at present. Currently, access to areas would be restricted to Trade Way (the road connecting Baldur's Gate - FAI - Beregost - Nashkel), but there is certainly room for extra content in the other areas, although I don't really want to think about how massive that would be yet...

Isn't patching dialogue/scripts a bit more easier idea than reworking all of the areas? Remember that when you rework those areas, you will have to alter the worldmap and the interior areas (there are hundreds of them) as well.

Belt is certain that this is the work of opportunists, and entrusts you to reliably deliver the message.

So Irenicus is one of those opportunists who successfully waylays you? At which point does that happen?

-Galactygon

Isn't patching dialogue/scripts a bit more easier idea than reworking all of the areas? Remember that when you rework those areas, you will have to alter the worldmap and the interior areas (there are hundreds of them) as well.
It is difficult to use the existing areas because of the change in the context of the situation. If I plunder the existing areas then certain undesirable effects result:

1. The ability to visit all previous BG:TotSC areas - I don't want this because currently I am restricting movement to Trade Way only.

2. Static spawn points - I may move these or make new ones (possibly TuTu style) and change the types of CREs that spawn. Editing existing spawn script BCS for TuTu is OK, but with BGT-WeiDU I have to change spawngrp.2da, which will produce overflow into the BG1 portion of the game.

3. Savegame area information overflow - things like dropped items and sometimes dead creatures still litter the place. This could be nice to reflect the actual aftermatch of Sarevok's death, but I don't envision that this new quest happens directly afterwards.

4. Automap information - I plan to tag certain parts of areas for very easy reference, but with existing AREs that will also leak into the BG1 portion of the game.

5. DestroySelf() - To rebuild CREs in the ARE from existing AREs, I will have to destroy every existing copy. However, since often AREs have multiple copies of the same CRE with the same DeathVar, I would have to touch BG1 CREs to eliminate them; something I would hate doing.

Now with using new areas, not only do they avoid the problems above, but I think editing them is quite easy for my purposes:

1. Change the ARE name (but still used same WED and TIS)

2. Change the Exit names

3. Add to worldmap (probably with the use of XNEWAREA.2DA, although I haven't investigated this yet)

4. Remove all CREs from the ARE, and possibly remove all items from containers. Info points updated/removed if required.

5. Script only creation of CREs, items in chest, and such...

So Irenicus is one of those opportunists who successfully waylays you? At which point does that happen?
No, it is actually heaps more complicated than that. For the sake of non-spoilage, I shouldn't disclose what really happens. However, I can say that the opportunists are organised bandits led by someone who has an interest in the events that occurred in the Sword Coast.
1. The ability to visit all previous BG:TotSC areas - I don't want this because currently I am restricting movement to Trade Way only.

I think it's possible to hide areas from the worldmap via scripts. Then you will have to do something about disabling the travel regions.

2. Static spawn points - I may move these or make new ones (possibly TuTu style) and change the types of CREs that spawn. Editing existing spawn script BCS for TuTu is OK, but with BGT-WeiDU I have to change spawngrp.2da, which will produce overflow into the BG1 portion of the game.

I don't know how spawn points are handled in Tutu, but I am quite sure it is possible to change them via patching.

3. Savegame area information overflow - things like dropped items and sometimes dead creatures still litter the place. This could be nice to reflect the actual aftermatch of Sarevok's death, but I don't envision that this new quest happens directly afterwards.

I see no problem with that. Dead creatures disappear after a few hours, and so do dropped items (but at a much slower rate). You could have invisible .cres flying around, picking everything up, and then destroying themselves.

5. DestroySelf() - To rebuild CREs in the ARE from existing AREs, I will have to destroy every existing copy. However, since often AREs have multiple copies of the same CRE with the same DeathVar, I would have to touch BG1 CREs to eliminate them; something I would hate doing.

You could set a variable after Sarevok is defeated (they might have done it for you), and then patch the commoner scripts to destroy themselves if they are in a certain area (beregost, nashkell, etc.) and have that variable set.

So you will also rebuild the inside areas as well?

With the exception of the travel regions, I still think patching is better than overriding (although I could be mistaken, since I don't know the details and sub-plans).

-Galactygon

Archived