Help for Mac-users

Loriel

At the moment a version of BGT for the Mac versions of BG1/2 isn't available but some progress in this regard has been made so maybe in the not to far off future. The PC versions of BG1/2 can be used of course for users with Intel Macs and Wine/CrossOver/VirtualBox/Parallels/VMware Fusion et al.

It appears that BGT is what I want, so I'll see if I can get it to install and function on my system. I have no access to an Intel Mac, and won't for the near future, at least, nor do I have any software that will allow me to run Windows on my machine (basically, anything that costs money is out of the question). Heh, once I tried installing VirtualPC, or something similar, and it nearly destroyed my internal HD (same story with Ubuntu Linux for Mac).

It appears that BGT is what I want, so I'll see if I can get it to install and function on my system.

I forgot to mention, but BGT relies on a program called mosunpack. In order to install BGT on a PPC Mac you would need to compile mosunpack from source. There could be other hurdles as well. E.g., BGT has, or used to have, an external program for converting .tis files to be better compatible with the BG2 engine.

I never got around to even investigating mosunpack, in response to your message last year. Sorry. :-(

I did mean to, at one point, but it kept dropping off the radar. Hopefully somebody else will be able to look at it for you.

Assuming it's all installed (you needed to a manual full install IIRC), BG/TotSC with whatever that last patch was didn't actually have a disc check.

When I launch the Tales of the Sword Coast application (either from OS 9.2.2 native or from Classic under Mac OS X), a screen appears that tells me to place CD1 in the CD drive. That and MapConvert are the only program files in the directory.

I'm trying to install the v3.05 widescreen mod, but when I extract the file that's packed with the folder is unrecognized. When I try to open it terminal opens up, but does nothing. I'm running 10.6.8 on an intel MBP. Any advice?

The readme states: It is not currently possible to install the mod on Mac OSX. If you want to either figure out the offsets or give me a Mac and a copy of all IE games for that platform, I'd be happy to oblige.

If you want to try and install it anyway just open Terminal and navigate to your BGII folder. Run ./setup-widescreen and make the choices.

i noticed that, but assumed the readme was just outdated as the release i downloaded is labeled as 'OSX-widescreen-v3.05.rar'

Version 3.05 officially distribute a Mac build (x86 Mac with Darwine and Windows binary of needed), ...Available for Windows, OSX, and Linux, you can get it from the downloads page

^taken from the main page of this site.

Assuming it's all installed (you needed to a manual full install IIRC), BG/TotSC with whatever that last patch was didn't actually have a disc check.

When I launch the Tales of the Sword Coast application (either from OS 9.2.2 native or from Classic under Mac OS X), a screen appears that tells me to place CD1 in the CD drive. That and MapConvert are the only program files in the directory.

Given this situation, what would I need to have/do in order to attempt the BGT installation on my system? Both games were full installs with the most current game patch.

i noticed that, but assumed the readme was just outdated as the release i downloaded is labeled as 'OSX-widescreen-v3.05.rar'

Version 3.05 officially distribute a Mac build (x86 Mac with Darwine and Windows binary of needed), ...Available for Windows, OSX, and Linux, you can get it from the downloads page

^taken from the main page of this site.

That explains it. It's meant to be installed on the PC version of the games running in Wine on the Mac.

that's what i'm doing- my games are installed through wine. for some reason though the file isn't recognized. i tried running it via the method you mentioned and that wouldn't work either. what's the bit about windows binary? has anyone on a Mac gotten this mod to work? i'm an idiot when it comes to this stuff.

Archived