The Original Crossmod Banter Pack thread...

Grim Squeaker

NB: This thread will refer to the mod as Banter Packs: Part Deux.  The name has since changed.  See FAQ for more information.

You may have read about this before, but Banter Packs: Part Deux (BPPD) is a little ongoing project of mine that will basically contain new banters, interjections and whatever miscellaneous dialogue you want between non-Bioware NPC mods. The point of this is to make the install order easier. Basically all you have to do is install your NPC mods and then at the end install BPPD and install the components for the NPCs you want.

The reason I've chosen to announce (and pin this topic) is so that if any modder(s) wants to add dialogue between two NPCs then post here (or PM me) with the dialogue and dialogue filenames and I'll code it up and add it to the current version.

Different types of dialogue:

- Banter e.g. Delainy and Tashia having a chat

- Miscellaneous interjections e.g. Harvey interjecting into Aklon's quest

- Romance conflict (Interjections and full-on conflict banters) e.g. Inara complaining that you are flirting with Delainy

A few final notes: Please don't write dialogue for someone elses NPC unless the two of you have worked together on it or they have given their permission for dialogue to be written for that NPC (e.g. Don't write dialogue for Kelsey unless you and Jason have worked together on it or Jason has given you permission/approved the dialogue). Secondly, could we not have dialogue between NPCs that aren't at least in beta testing yet (otherwise it'll just get ridiculous).

Ok can I have some opinions on the best way to implement the install. Should there be:

a) Seperate components for each type of material e.g. BEGIN ~Delainy-Tashia Material~

b) One big component that only compiles certain files based on which stuff is installed (i.e. if it can install material it will). As you'd install BPDP last then it should be fine.

The second version will make 3-way convs easier, as in the first option you'd either need a component for 'Delainy-Tashia-Harvey Material' or have in the last of the 'Delainy-Tashia', 'Tashia-Harvey' and 'Delainy-Harvey' sections it checks to see if the third is installed. But that could get REALLY messy, REALLY quickly. I'm tempted to go with second component and use ACTION_IF to check whether it can compile certain dialogues or not.

Opinions?

PS: For someone who knows, how do I use ACTION_IF so it has X number of filechecks as its predicate? i.e. Checking to see whether a Harvey dialogue file and a Delainy dialogue file present (or however many checks for multi-NPC banters).

Edit: After looking through the WeiDU readme will this work:

ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS ~override/HARVEY.dlg~ AND FILE_EXISTS ~override/CDDELAI.dlg~ AND FILE_EXISTS ~override/TASHIA.dlg~ THEN BEGIN

COMPILE //Blah blah

END

Please don't write dialogue for someone elses NPC unless the two of you have worked together on it or they have given their permission for dialogue to be written for that NPC (e.g. Don't write dialogue for Kelsey unless you and Jason have worked together on it or Jason has given you permission/approved the dialogue).

Perhaps you could re-word this slightly, because as it stands at the moment it sounds like (for example) neither JCompton nor Andyr would be able to write an Elai/Kelsey banter :D.

Maybe something like "please don't write dialogue that doesn't involve at least one NPC created by yourself..." etc.

Guest Seifer

Got the PM dave, thanks for taking the time to do so. As several peeps might know, there are several playable NPC's uner my dominion, namely:

Karia

Zaiya

SilverStar

Horace (now being incorporated into Nocturnal Supremacy)

K&Z has a somewhat negative aura attached to it for reasons that were beyond my control at the time but I would like to see it integrated a little more with cross-dialogue.

SilverStar I'd like to also expand on as the old version wa somewhat stagnant. There are grand plans in store for this but the addition of cross-mod banter is something I'd explore keenly.

Any questiion, PM me or Grim and I'll dop my best to help

Seif

Maybe something like "please don't write dialogue that doesn't involve at least one NPC created by yourself..." etc.

Well, that kinda goes without saying (and you can also write for an NPC you are the guardian of). The point I was stressing was that you shouldn't write for someone else's character without their permission (or the two (or more) of you have worked on it together).

But dialogues don't involve just one NPC (that'd be a monologue :D), they involve two or more, i.e. your's and someone else's. If someone wanted to write a banters between their NPC and a lot of other people's NPCs, I'd imagine it'd get pretty tedious writing lots and lots of e-mails. Similarly, I wouldn't imagine someone like JCompton will be too pleased when he gets several dozen "can I write a banter between my NPC and Kelsey?" e-mails flooding his mailbox.

Perhaps it would be better simply to ask NPC authors to give permission for banters between their NPC and other peoples' to be included in the mod? It would severely cut down on the number of e-mails/PMs being sent and recieved by everyone.

Guest Seifer

This logic assumes that there is a lot of completed mod-writers out there which isn't really the case, if we brutally assess the scenario. Keep in mind that some peeps here comunicate in different manner such as Irc, MSN and so on. Giving permissions doesn't give freedom of content which I, as a mod author, wouldn't really be willing to give.

Well the permission could be with the disclaimer that the NPC author reservers the right to review all submitted material involving their character, and make any changes they see fit or even reject certain banters entirely.

This logic assumes that there is a lot of completed mod-writers out there which isn't really the case, if we brutally assess the scenario.  Keep in mind that some peeps here comunicate in different manner such as Irc, MSN and so on.  Giving permissions doesn't give freedom  of content which I, as a mod author, wouldn't really be willing to give.

This is basically what I had in mind. Obviously writing a romance or something would require some serious work but your basic linear CHAINed banter can be done easily using your favourite IMing program.

e.g.

Dave, Just Dave says:

Harvey: Why the hell are you even in the party Horace? You're a bloody skeleton!

Final Exodus (Doing Essay) says:

Actually Dave, that's a crap way to start a banter. Something like this would be better.

Horace: [blah blah blah]

Anyway you get the idea.

I apologise to Seifer if I have misrepresented him in any way in this hypothetical MSN conversation.

Archived