Game Text

Macready

Hello -

Please set the following string in the TRA:

@1017984 = ~Close examination reveals this liquid to be very peculiar in nature.  It could be a sorcerer's dream, but that would depend entirely on whom you asked.  After ingesting the mixture, the drinker becomes the weakest, most unwise, yet incredibly intelligent person to have ever lived, with an innate 50% resistance to magic damage as well.  The effects remain for an entire 24 hours, so think carefully before unplugging the cork.

STATISTICS:

Intelligence: set to 25
Wisdom: set to 3
Strength: set to 3
Special: +50% resistance to magic damage
Duration: 24 hours

Not Usable By:
Wizard Slayer~ []

My first edit says magic resistance, which is misleading. This revision explicitly states the resistance is to magic damage.

Hello -

Found a typo in one of my edits. Please overwrite @1017952 with the following corrected text:

@1017952 = ~The potion of firebreath magically transforms the throat of the user so that it is capable of breathing fire.  Hence, the user does not drink this potion so much as he or she uses it on an enemy.  The resulting firebreath does 6d10 damage to the target, with a save vs. breath allowed to reduce the damage by half.

Not Usable By:
Wizard Slayer~ []

(e.g., making sure there are two spaces between the end of one sentence and the start of another).

Does BG2 use a fixed with font or a non-fixed width font? General rule of thumb these days is that you only need to put one space after say a period or before a zip code. The computer handles the rest of that figuring.

Then again, BG2 isn't a word processor, so maybe it is an issue.

My thought was that the double-space-after-full-stop was an old American typewriter convention that "wasn't supposed to be used" anymore? It does look rather strange to these jaded European eyes, but then I'm nitpicking again.

A tiny FYI; an old typo that was never fixed:

StringRef#59352 (Madeen to Korgan; if the StringRef number isn't correct for all installations then this can still easily be located as it is part of Madeen's default dialog.)

"Oh, there is a contact, indeed. But perhaps I should introduce myself to your new friends, Mr. Bloodaxe... I do not wish to give the wrong impression."

Contact should be contract.

(e.g., making sure there are two spaces between the end of one sentence and the start of another).

Does BG2 use a fixed with font or a non-fixed width font? General rule of thumb these days is that you only need to put one space after say a period or before a zip code. The computer handles the rest of that figuring.

Infinity Engines use Normal.BAM for their font; the standard font, and the "new larger font" included with ToSC were both proportional.

In addition, you can put any Typeface name in the [Program Options] Font Name.

However, a sentence space should be longer than a word space, use the proper two space characters after the punctuation mark.

However, a sentence space should be longer than a word space, use the proper two space characters after the punctuation mark.
This is patently false. Punctuation is the sole method used to set off clauses in English writing.

I advocate leaving the double space only because so many strings already have it, not because it's correct.

Hello -

This is patently false. Punctuation is the sole method used to set off clauses in English writing.

That is so true.For a long time now I've been trying to argue that,but no one ever seems to agree;perhaps now that we are confronting this issue head on,the truth will finally be recognized.

I advocate leaving the double space only because so many strings already have it, not because it's correct.

But I think I've mentioned already that it's easy to automate removal of double spaces, whereas adding them must be done manually. (Optionally, I don't really care if we do anything at all here.)

It's not a grammer rule, but a typesetter's rule. Two different disciplines.

As I said above.

Well, actually I don't really care - I can still play, whether there's one or five spaces between sentences. The only time I really object to it is when the dialogue window ends up with one of the double-space-gaps ending one line, and thus begins the next line with a single space. Again, it's nitpicking, but it sort of slightly indents the second line.

It's not a grammer rule, but a typesetter's rule. Two different disciplines.
When typewriters were used, yes, but no longer. Most differences in spacing will be attributed to kerning, but I've never seen any professional recommend larger or multiple spaces to separate sentences (exceptions do exist, but they are the exception, not the rule).

In my current playthrough I noticed a couple of places in the game where loathe is mistakenly used instead of loath.

Checking through all string entries I found four places where this happened. As I am too stupid to figure out how to get DLTCEP to match stringrefs to actual dialog entries, I hope the raw stringref plus rough context (some from memory, some of it guesswork) will be enough for y'all to locate the precise dialogue that needs fixing.

#33059 Solamnic Knight in the Planar Sphere

Traps? No, but in the dark rooms of this place I have witnessed horrors. These terrors I am loathe to discuss but if it helps your cause then I shall.

#35470 Anomen (romance only?)

My lady, I have been pondering your situation for some time... this matter of your peculiar heritage... and I find myself filled with questions that I am almost loathe to ask.

#55747 Viconia, responding to Saemon's advice in Spellhold

I am loathe to listen too closely to the words of the human, but his advice may be wise. Let us at least see if these mad wizards can be released... and harnessed.

64481 I'm guessing this is the priestess in Saradush

I am loathe to re-open the entrance, lest the evil escape into the city. But if you think you can reason with Gromnir or aid the city somehow, perhaps it is worth the risk.

(Installation: BG2 SoA + ToB + Official Patch (ToB) + BG2 Fixpack incl. Game Text Update + misc. other stuff)

Cheers,

Luiz - your friendly neighbourhood grammar nazi.

Archived