The Planes - A BG2 Mod

BR³

While you may have an adventuring spirit, most of the townspeople, guards and just about anybody else you will meet will definitely freak at the side of your jolyy group of monsters. An Illithid NPC in Amn??? Abishai are obvously famous wit the girls in Sigil, but if Viconia is burned at the stake for being a drow, think about some of your other followers.

If you want some credibility with this you have to introduce a reaction check with every encounter.

It would be easier and more sensible to develop a plot fully replacing ToB than to intertwine your storyline with SoA's storyline. Even if your storyline turns out good (which, judging from your posts I think is the case), it is extremely hard to place that "extra dimension" into SoA, a game centered on the setting of Amn itself (with the few exceptions of the Planar Sphere and the Underdark/Brynnlaw)

By the time your characters reach level 15 or higher, there won't be much to do in the Prime Material Plane, in terms of adventuring. The planes provide a much better challenge to a godling (you are already that by the beginning of ToB) than any place on the Prime.

I always thought of the planes as a magnet for larger than life characters dealing with larger than life plots.

-Galactygon

I agree that setting this in ToB would be a better idea. The PC has realised a lot more of his powers at this point and I think it would be a great opportunity to explore his expanding consciousness (which is really only alluded to in regular ToB and brushed on a little in the Jaheira Romance). It would remove most of your balance concerns and, besides, ToB could use more mods.

I will finalise the quest design once i have the NPC's to a workable, playable but dialogless point :p Will certainly think about the option of a ToB addon, i was originally thinking of creating a portal in the part of the planar prison that says something along the lines of "this portal leads somewhere else... where, you arent sure" that lead you to it, but the ToB idea is certainly interesting.

Now, a question. I want to work on the avatars for the NPC's in my spare time this weekend. Is there a tutorial on, or does someone care to explain, how to export creature avatars from Planescape Torment, and make them into a form you can assign to a playable NPC in BG2? In specific, all 3 forms of Abishai :p

OK, since some of the portraits i've used are in use by other mods, i've come up with the following options. Tell me what you think - unfortanately they arent as 'perfect' as the originals, but again i have no desire to step on other modders toes :p

Replacement for Khaz'rhk

Portrait was :

Gith.jpg

Portrait now - either :

Githyanki1.jpgOR Githyanki2.jpg

Replacement for Asaea

Portrait was :

Aasimar.jpg

Portrait now :

Aasimar2.jpg

Again, these are entirely tentative - thoughts are welcome :p

On the avatars: I'd ask Avenger. When he worked on DLTC (DragonLance Total Conversion) they created a minotaur avatar, so he would probably know.

On the portraits: Remember that Sol Ek Sa over at Spellhold Studios can create portraits on demand, free of charge. They can also baldurize the ones you already have. They'd probably be able to make you an Imp that is far better than the portrait you already has. Or a Quasit, was it?

I've decided to take the number of NPC's in the mod up to 6, so i was thinking of adding a Rilmani, since i've never seen a Rilmani anywhere in an RPG game other than the 3x Ferrumach and 1x Aurumach Rilmanii that guard one of the keys of the door to Demogorgon's chamber in Watchers Keep.

So yeh, any thoughts on the idea? And what type of Rilmani would people like to see? (if you're infamiliar with the Rilmani i can post the relevant portions of the Planescape AD&D suppliment :p)

Either an Avoral (Guardinal), a Marut (An Inevitable that seeks out people who cheat death) or a Slaad would all be really cool to see, but given the kind of paperdolls it'd require, I don't see that happening. Besides, the Slaadi aren't very nice to non-Slaadi.

An Eladrin would be possible, though, I imagine. It would also give your mod another Good-aligned character, which it seems to be lacking (though that's really not such a bad thing, I guess).

But yeah, I kind of agree with Andyr there on the Rilmani thing. Considering all the wild and crazy stuff CHARNAME ends up doing (Saradush, anyone?), the Rilmani wouldn't be too happy...or just not be very Rilmani-like, which wouldn't be cool either.

Archived