Compatibility

Gorilym

Woohoo! My first G3 post! :rant: Hi all! I was wondering, any chance of making the Cleric Remixes compatible with TUTU installs w/o ToB? This is something of an issue for Mac people like me who haven't yet been able to install TUTU over a SoA-ToB install. I know that some parts (the new HLAs, holy symbols and so forth) would not be available in any case, but I would like to be able to give Viconia the Shadowcloak kit in BGTUTU as well as SoA-ToB in order to maintain "continuity". Btw, great work on the mod so far!

Thanks for the quick reply Cam, but I did try, to no avail, installing CR on my non-ToB TUTU install; If I recall correctly, it choked on not finding BELTXX.ITM (the holy symbols, I believe). Given that it installed fine on my "regular" ToB game, some tweaking might be needed. Replacing COPY with IF_FILE_EXISTS for ToB files might perhaps work?

I tried installing 0.8.2 again, and after //-ing out the holy symbol section, it went fine, spells, kits and everythang! :rant: Started a new game with a silverstar just to check. The only problem now is that the npc kits don't "take"; both Viccy and Branwen are still true-class, whether in a prior savegame or a freshly started one, at level 2 or at level 5. I know it's still in beta, but is this issue something you are aware of? Great work on all that os x porting by the way! :)

Cam: Yes, this is a TUTU game. I'll try installing 0.8.3 on my regular SoA-ToB install to see if things work properly there, but I'll have to do some mod shuffling first. Btw, this was on a clean install of tutu, with only the fixpacks, some things from ease-of-use and tweakpacks, the bg1npc project, and the cleric remix installed last. I suppose there might be incompatibilities with bg1npc, as it's only been out of beta a few days?

Andyr: I did not have any of them in the party, when I de-petrified branwen and found she was still trueclass, I tried CLUAing in the level 2 .cre, as the "first" one was level 5, and I figured you might have only scripted the kit for the initial .cre. When that didn't work, I tried the same thing with Viconia, to see if it might be a Branwen-only problem. No luck there, so I started a new game, and CLUAed in various incarnations, in case of any kitting scripts only running at game startup etc. Still trueclass, both of 'em.

Oh yeah, the "spellbook adjustment" scripts (I assume they are scripts) do kick in on all "joinings".

Things like True Grand Mastery (back to actual BG1 levels), shut-up-you-must-gather-party-before-etc., unnerfed thaco & saving throw tables and magical armor compatibility (ain't nothing in PnP that says you can't wear more than one defensive magical item), and that's pretty much it. The tweak packs do cover a lot of convenient and helpful stuff, so its less than it used to be. :rant:

Oh, and one thing I'd like to see in the Tweakpacks is a happy-party component; no npcs leaving because of high/low rep. The EoU component for this must be installed after the Romance Bugfixes, which are a no-no (obviously) for TUTU. Shouldn't be too difficult to implement, only the happy.2da need be edited (or so I believe :) )

You can wear more than 1 magical defensive item in pnp, but their AC bonuses don't stack; you just get whatever's highest. So wearing a cloak of protection +3, ring of protection +2 and mask of protection +1, your bonus would only be +3 rather than +6. IIRC there's no way of emulating this in BG2, other than simply not allowing more than one such item to be worn.

Nightmare: But saving throw bonuses do stack in PnP, or is my memory completely off on this one? :rant:

I've now tried 0.8.3 on a SoA-ToB Install, and it worked perfectly, npcs being kitted by sricpt immediately upon joining. Given that the only mods on the TUTU install that are not on the ToB one are the tututweaks, -fixpack and bg1npc, the issue would appear to be an incompatibility with one of these or the TUTU framework itself. I had a look at the relevant baf files, and as I understand it, the kit-script should run upon (among other things) Global C!<NPCNAME>Kit being set to 0, being incremented to 1 upon kit application. However, in several instances I've checked, this Global does not have any value set to it.

Well I'll be... It seems I've cracked it. On a hunch, I looked through the CR log, and suddenly noticed that the .bcs files patched by the kit components were identical to those in the SoA-ToB CR install log. This led me to experiment with CLUAing in the SoA .cres of Branwen and Viconia into a TUTU game, which responded by becoming kitted instantly. So it seems the problem is basically that the .tp2 does not check at all whether the install is vanilla SoA(-ToB) or TUTU, and simply patches the .bcs files with the names of the standard SoA .cres (examples: Viconia instead of _Viconia, TTBran instead of _Branwe and so on). I'm reluctant to "fix" this myself, as I'd rather not risk messing up an otherwise perfectly functional installation, so any feedback (an update? *crosses fingers* :rant: ) would be welcome indeed.

Archived