NPC Skald

EiriktheScald

Poll: Which weapon would be your first choice for a Skald?  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ok, I'll redo the desc to suggest more of a connection with Tempus. It could almost be a holy symbol... looks more like Tempus's sword (the point anyway) than Thor's hammer. Or perhaps a brooch specific to the Battleguard. Or neither, or both...

Hmm... definitely connected with Tempus. How might Eirik gain possession of something belonging to the Battleguard? Father perhaps?

Do you have a preference for a prefix for your items? I think ES, ER, EI, E- are all open currently.

That works for me; does it have to be registered?

Hey, Eirik:

Thinking you remembered to sign in does not mean you signed in :p

He could have sought out a Battleguard relic as a special, thoughtful thing he did especially for Branwen :p

If you don't register your prefix, someone else might take it, which means there is the remote possibility of someone else overwriting your stuff.

Sounds nice in our day and age, but researching viking courtship; to marry for the sake of the heart was almost unheard of in their culture. Poems of love were also interpreted as a disreputable slur toward a woman. They believed such sweet prose wove a spell capturing their intended. I'll have to choose my words carefully. :p

[load of rot]

I appreciate the attempt at authenticity, but your audience might not. You are writing for 21st century, sophisticated adults. Avoiding modern language is one thing, but adapting cold courtship rituals is something else.

[/load of rot]

That sounded a lot harsher than I intended. Suffice it to say that people will think well of Eirik if he is sweet and considerate toward Branwen, and does adorable little things to please her. And what says "I love you" better than a dubiously acquired Battleguard artifact?

OK, that's really tongue-in-cheek, but it would work for Branwen.

Why am I even trying to make sense when I've been awake this long?

I was thinking Branwen had it originally and Eirik found it somewhere during his pursuit of her - perhaps she dropped it in the actions leading up to her "stoning" or maybe she "left home without it" - willingly or unwillingly. But feel free to make up whatever story for it you want. :p

And remember that Faerun isn't exactly Earth, so you have some leeway to work with there. Although, since a skald can cast spells, there would be even more basis to the idea that words can influence a person.

Since Eirik is a skald though, he might be forgiven for using his skill with words as a means of courting, particularly if he comes up with some poetic praises about Branwen's skills as a warrior as well. Of course the gift of a valuable and Tempus themed object won in battle, or the return of one of her own posessions is probably a good shift towards a more traditional courting gift (plus works in a more modern context too).

@BigRob: I'm not sure this is what you had in mind, but here's a monologue [Edit: happy Miloch? :p ] I've been working on:

"I will tell you of the fairest woman,"

Said Eirik,

“She is lovely Branwen,

maiden of Norheim.

Who sought so zealously,

to be skilled in battle."

Eirik chanted.

"Preferring sternness to soft words,

offered war rather than kisses.

And would rather taste blood than serve

the honey wine delicious.

She went about the business of arms,

more than that of amours.

And would assail men with her spears,

whom she could melt with her looks.

Devoting her life to the pursuit of war,

she abhorred all dainty living.

That she might not suffer her valor,

to be dulled or unstrung."

Inspired by the viking warrior women described in the 'History of the Danes'. It fits Branwen's persona.

Forgot I still had this item mini-mod sitting around - sent you a PM so I can get it to you. This is what I went with for the brooch description - it's in a .TRA file so obviously you can change it to whatever works into your story.

~Brooch of Tempus~

~This ornate brooch is worked in the shape of a braided pin with a fearsome head adorning it. Attached to this is a torc ending in two other heads. The whole piece is forged from a bronze alloy and enameled with gold, and is designed to be worn at the neck as a cloak or dress fastener. The point of the brooch vaguely resembles a flaming sword or dagger. As such, it is symbolic of faith in Tempus. Some of his elite Battleguard are said to wear brooches of this nature, and the Lord of Battles grants a boon of inspiration to such worthy followers.

STATISTICS:

Special: Memorize 1 extra 2nd level priest spell

Requires: 14 Wisdom

Usable By:

Cleric (Neutral or Chaotic only)~

(Tempus is described as chaotic neutral and having a flaming sword or dagger holy symbol in the FR stuff I've browsed, though I stopped short of making this an actual holy symbol.)

Archived