NPC Skald

EiriktheScald

Poll: Which weapon would be your first choice for a Skald?  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

@BigRob: I'm not sure this is what you had in mind, but here's a monologue [Edit: happy Miloch? :) ] I've been working on:

"I will tell you of the fairest woman,"

Said Eirik,

“She is lovely Branwen,

maiden of Norheim.

Who sought so zealously,

to be skilled in battle."

Eirik chanted.

"Preferring sternness to soft words,

offered war rather than kisses.

And would rather taste blood than serve

the honey wine delicious.

She went about the business of arms,

more than that of amours.

And would assail men with her spears,

whom she could melt with her looks.

Devoting her life to the pursuit of war,

she abhorred all dainty living.

That she might not suffer her valor,

to be dulled or unstrung."

Inspired by the viking warrior women described in the 'History of the Danes'. It fits Branwen's persona.

That's kind of thing I was thinking about, yes. Stand alone, or perhaps as a part of an eventual saga, it flatters her (both as a woman and as a warrior) without seeming to try to influence her as a love verse might. A good start for Eirik's long wooing process. :hm:

Keep in mind that a bard cannot carry a shield (even a skald), unless there's a mod that allows him to do this.

It would be also useful to keep in mind that Bards (and Thieves) can use bucklers. Unfortunately in BG1, the lack of magic bucklers makes this choice widely unknown/unpopular but it's the game's fault for not providing such items (more faults in magical items representation: belts, amulets, boots which are underrepresented)...

I prefer bards as bowmen :) But bards are versatile, so any kind of fighting suits them.

It would be really cool if some class could you the shield to knock the opponent to the floor, like you can do with your fists. (Ok, maybe not with a tower shield)

One thing about Poetry and IE is that -in my opinion only!- long verses and IE do not mix. With all my singing-poetry writing NPCs I try to either stick with 8-liners only or "dilute" the song with the interactive options. It is not that easy and interesting to read off even the most beautiful poetry off the screen if its 8 or more lines, even if you use multi-say.

If you're going to do poetry, make sure you've got good music to back it.

Nothing, and I do mean *nothing*, is worse than trying to read poetry while listening to BG1 fighting music in the background, because everyone knows that it just keeps going, and going, and going.

For poetry-challenged people like me, poetry is hard enough to appreciate, without a jarring soundtrack.

Buckler of Amaunator in BG2 with Item Upgrade is completely awesome.
But that's BG2, right?

There is actually a Skald's Battered Buckler in Song & Silence that might be quite fitting for Eirik... gives a bit of cold resistance being from the North or something.

I think we already went over the dual wielding idea and decided his STR wasn't high enough or something. But if we make the bastard sword toggleable, either that or a buckler is an option.

I don't know if Eirik knows how to write (it was a rare skill to Vikings - *maybe* some knew a few runes) but if he has longer poems, he could scribe them as books (or have someone do it for him - perhaps a good opportunity for cross-party banter).

I think we already went over the dual wielding idea and decided his STR wasn't high enough or something. But if we make the bastard sword toggleable, either that or a buckler is an option.

It was a dex thing. But that isn't the point. Eirik's a straight-shootin'-big-sword-wieldin' kinda guy who swings his sword like a baseball bat. Does he seem cut out for any Benihana-steakhouse-two-skewer-wieldin'-swishy-bladed-fancy moves to you?

I don't know if Eirik knows how to write (it was a rare skill to Vikings - *maybe* some knew a few runes) but if he has longer poems, he could scribe them as books (or have someone do it for him - perhaps a good opportunity for cross-party banter).

First cross-mod content idea I've had for Gavin yet: Eirik, the talented-yet-preliterate bard sits down with Gavin to patiently explain to the barely literate cleric what poetry is all about and why Gavin really needs to learn the meaning of the word hyperbole.

Eirik's a straight-shootin'-big-sword-wieldin' kinda guy who swings his sword like a baseball bat. Does he seem cut out for any Benihana-steakhouse-two-skewer-wieldin'-swishy-bladed-fancy moves to you?
Heh. I guess not. He didn't seem too interested in the buckler idea either. Bucklers were mainly used like secondary weapons.
First cross-mod content idea I've had for Gavin yet: Eirik, the talented-yet-preliterate bard sits down with Gavin to patiently explain to the barely literate cleric what poetry is all about and why Gavin really needs to learn the meaning of the word hyperbole.
Or if Gavin doesn't teach Eirik to write, Eirik will show Gavin how to carve a few choice runes... in Gavin's own flesh? :)
If you're going to do poetry, make sure you've got good music to back it.

Nothing, and I do mean *nothing*, is worse than trying to read poetry while listening to BG1 fighting music in the background, because everyone knows that it just keeps going, and going, and going.

For poetry-challenged people like me, poetry is hard enough to appreciate, without a jarring soundtrack.

*shrugs* He's a Skald; he's supposed to recite poems. Music is not a problem; although I haven't decided how much effort its worth, as I know not everyone will bother to install it.

As for displaying it, not sure. Frankly, that's not foremost on my mind right now -- finishing the story is. :)

It was a dex thing. But that isn't the point. Eirik's a straight-shootin'-big-sword-wieldin' kinda guy who swings his sword like a baseball bat. Does he seem cut out for any Benihana-steakhouse-two-skewer-wieldin'-swishy-bladed-fancy moves to you?

Actually bards only gain proficiency with weapons, and the penalties on the second weapon at proficient level don't warrant dual-wielding. Now, according to the poll, the longsword is favored. So, maybe I should rethink his starting weapon. :)

Doubtful; skaldic verse differs from rune poems. Besides, according to published DnD materials, the runethanes practice rune divination.

A prominent verse found is the drápa usually containing a refrain. Lighter skaldic verse was called flokkr. Other incidental skaldic verse includes the lausavísur, which is a single stanza said to have been improvised impromptu for the occasion it marks. Skalds also composed satire and very occasionally, erotic verse.

Why would Eirik carry around books of poems, traveling so great a distance? I would think he is more apt to recite the third type of prose, which will fit in the display area.

Archived