Help a brotha who put in modding time for da people!

DevArrah

I dunno if anyone remembers me but I wrote a small DLTCP-type editor for the Macintosh platform called IRE. I also was instrumental in converting a couple of mods (including The Darkest Day) to the mac and provided a small strong hold of mac IE modding called Balduran's Spa and Grille.

Anyhoo, I purchased one of those sweet, sweet new mac laptops that can also boot windows (a necessary evil for work). Naturally, i'm all googlyeyed because i've always, always, always wanted to play HoW and TotL but they were never ported to the mac.

Can these things run on my machine or will they just crash incessantly? Can I run BG1 + ToSC? PS:T? Anyone with any experience running the older IE games on state o' the art rig? Any suggestions where I could buy 'em legit and modestly cheap? Any problems running any of modding progs on my machine

My relevant stats are:

WinXP running on Intel Core 2 Duo running 2.66 GHz

Dev

who would just love to play the entire suite of IE games

Also, any interest in me surrendering my code for IRE? Website wise, I'm a man without a country and it maybe of some interest to future generations. I wrote IRE in a very oop way and I wrote it with easy extensibility and GemRB in mind so it might pique some interest.

I dunno if anyone remembers me but I wrote a small DLTCP-type editor for the Macintosh platform called IRE. I also was instrumental in converting a couple of mods (including The Darkest Day) to the mac and provided a small strong hold of mac IE modding called Balduran's Spa and Grille.
Really? This is the first I've heard of these.
Really? This is the first I've heard of these.

Got to say it's a bit disappointing but yes. You can google either Balduran's Spa and Grill aka TeamMacBG, DevArrah, The Darkest Day for Macintosh,ire infinity engine editing, or even look in the archives of IEDSP (i discovered the odd thing here or their about a file format) you should find my names or my contributions to the community. I worked on the mac side since the BG1 was ported and worked several years developing tools and helping mac people understand modding. Tried to plug the mac community in the larger modding community with modest success pre-weidu. I'm also the guy who made an assistant to BGTutu so the mac user, unfamiliar with do stuff via the command line, could do the conversion.

Not that my "street cred" really means much other than I'm unfamiliar with windows outside of a work context so I'd appreciate any advice one could give me on getting these games to work with my machine. The odd thing about my involvement with the modding communities is i purchased BG1 when it was ported and then immediately started developing tools for it since there was only smack talk of making tools for the mac. Though I purchased all the games that were ported to the mac, the only one I ever played through all the way was IWD.

Everything *should* work great for BG1, Tutu, BGT, BG2 SoA, BG2 ToB. I don't have any info on the other IE games, but these are all designed around Windows environment, so you should be good to go - if it doesn't work, you may want to check if the dual-boot allows configuring disabling dual-core processors (making it single core -TomsHardware might have info, too). My troubles on the reverse of your story (using a windows emulator on a G5) are useless in this situation, because I think the Mac actually runs a proper WinXP SP2 rather than launching an emulation.

Worst comes to worst, use wine/linux and contact The Bigg at any forum!

WeiDU v197 is the latest and greatest, just remember to and the full heavy-duty list of available mods is at www.pocketplane.net.

I always assumed you two were affiliated in some way, because of the "dev" beginning to your names and the fact you both use Macs.
I don't know where my username came from (nor what it means), but it wasn't influenced by Dev.

I was, of course, making fun at his expense, but I guess he didn't see who was posting or (gasp!) has no idea who I am (I didn't post at BASPAG *that* much, but still!). :)

He's asking how well the games work under Windows XP SP2 with modern hardware (CPUs and graphics cards). I don't know, but I assume they'd work just fine (at least, any problems wouldn't be insurmountable).

He's asking how well the games work under Windows XP SP2 with modern hardware (CPUs and graphics cards). I don't know, but I assume they'd work just fine (at least, any problems wouldn't be insurmountable).

In my experience the BG series are far more stable in XP than they were in older versions of Windows (95/98). Playing BG games used to be quite a crashfest back then. (Or a multiplayer game used to be, that is.)

I always assumed you two were affiliated in some way, because of the "dev" beginning to your names and the fact you both use Macs.
I don't know where my username came from (nor what it means), but it wasn't influenced by Dev.

I was, of course, making fun at his expense, but I guess he didn't see who was posting or (gasp!) has no idea who I am (I didn't post at BASPAG *that* much, but still!). ;)

Heh, I just was assuming you were a different devSin :D I use various nome de guers depending on the topic. Chances are if you see someone on a forum named xxxArrah, it's me. In this case, the dev prefix was to indicate developer.

I'm just hesitant to drop 40 bucks on the original saga when it's listed for 98, ME, and SE. I don't know what kinda backward compatible those wacky folks @ MS maintain. I figured some of the folks around here would have some experience.

You should be able to run them all on the Bootcamp'ing XP2. The only likely source of difficulty I can think of is certain video modes--I've noticed over the years that the Infinity games sometimes have wonky behavior on various onboard chipsets--the vendor doesn't seem to matter particularly as I've seen weird behavior with Intel, VIA, and Nvidia, and of course you've probably got the Intel 950 or whatever.

So if you load up one of the games and it looks like soup (usually the pointer doesn't update correctly, so you see the problem immediately), switch to windowed mode or (for IWD/BG2/IWD2) notch the resolution down to 1024x768 max.

And that was me... what happened to the website anyway?

We were a pretty lowrent instituition ... basically our server was a beat ole powerPC (that's right, pre-G3) machine running linux in Chris' closest (chris being the guy who ported BG2 and IWD to the mac)... time finally caught up to the machine and the hard drive started to go (hence the frequent crashes).

Chris has a new machine running but honestly, I just don't have the time to get everything rigged up and my part in the later stages was pretty minimal. Mainly, i just made sure people remained civil and piped in on various arcane bits of wisdom.

It wasn't at Becky's house?

It was and prior to that, my understanding it was @ burger bill's. I just didn't want to muddle the clarity of the story with that tidbit.

Oh I almost forgot to mention the best part of the server. It wasn't even an apple powerpc box. It was one of those apple clones they had for a hot minute. an apple clone!

It was and prior to that, my understanding it was @ burger bill's.
== Becky

Oh I almost forgot to mention the best part of the server. It wasn't even an apple powerpc box. It was one of those apple clones they had for a hot minute. an apple clone!
Running defunct LinuxPPC, no less! Good times...

Anyway, if you do decide to pick up any of the PC-only IE titles, let us know how it runs. I'd probably take that route eventually (assuming I don't just completely give up with IE), so it'd be nice to know that they actually work well.

Archived