Tasty New Snack Treat!

BigRob

While chocolate-coating salo is ridiculous, the product itself is far from disgusting - take it from the person who actually ate and loved it throught all of her childhood. Salo normally is served cold, in *very* thin slices on bread - so it does not the unappetizing consistency of the warm fat. You do not eat more than 2 or 3 of slices in one go. It is thorougfhly seasoned with garlic and salt and cured frozen for a few weeks and is kept frozen. It usually consists of interlayred meat and fat - the pigs are specially fed to achieve that "stripness". It is very filling - in the field school we would have a loaf of bread and a couple of slices of salo as "ration" when we went to 8-10 hour day in the mountains; it was enough to keep 18 yo males from being hungry (if we, girls shared out our rations with them). It is peasent food, of course, but no more "disgusting" than Bratwurst.

Foreign foods are often unappealing - it is rather a learned thing, than anything concious. Believe it or not, but I find the appearence, smell and taste of peanut butter disturbing and cannot eat it.

Foreign foods are often unappealing - it is rather a learned thing, than anything concious. Believe it or not, but I find the appearence, smell and taste of peanut butter disturbing and cannot eat it.

True in that regard Domi.

I mean, look at sushi. There are a lot of people who like it, but the thought of raw fish is...unappetizing to me.

And I would imagine if a lot of people actually saw how sausage was made, or what went into it...they wouldn't eat it either.

Heck, after we butchered our own chickens I was put off from eating any chicken for about a month.

Okay, this vegetarian (ducks to avoid any thrown tomatoes) is officially grossed out!! :cry: I think I might need that Vodka they were serving with it now. :D

Hmm.. If Domi finds Peanut Butter disturbing I wonder what she would think of Vegemite!?

Archived