(Minor) Globes of Invulnerability

DavidW

Globe of Invulnerability and its little brother are described as Dispellable, but aren't.

I fix it locally by

COPY_EXISTING

~spwi406.spl~ ~override~

~spwi602.spl~ ~override~

SET ~numeffects~=0

SET ~numabilsofar~=0

READ_LONG 0x64 ~aboffset~

READ_SHORT 0x68 ~numabil~

WHILE (~numabilsofar~<~numabil~) BEGIN

READ_SHORT (~aboffset~+~numabilsofar~*0x28+0x1e) ~effectadd~

SET ~numeffects~=~numeffects~+~effectadd~

SET ~numabilsofar~=~numabilsofar~+1

END

READ_LONG 0x6a ~effoffset~

SET ~numeffsofar~=0

WHILE (~numeffsofar~<~numeffects~) BEGIN

WRITE_LONG ~effoffset~+~numeffsofar~*0x30+0xd 1

SET ~numeffsofar~=~numeffsofar~+1

END

but I don't know if that's sophisticated enough...

After a lot of thought, I eventually made this change locally. I think it needs discussion, though, since I still believe they did it on purpose once the magic attack spells were added.

(For your local patch, you may want to WRITE_LONG where 3 -- this shouldn't have an appreciable effect since it's target self, but friendly effects should use this over 1 to ensure the best behavior with magic resistance.)

This probably has been posted before, but I couldn't find anything when searching.

None of the globes can be dispelled as specified in the spelldescription. I have been casting dispels on Nalia (level 12) from Jaheira (level 12) and Keldorn (level 9), about 30 from each with no luck. Haven't tested with a wizard dispel, so I can't be sure that doesn't work either - if there even is a difference. None of the globes deflect dispel though, so that part works fine.

Both globes deflect Insect Plaque and as far as I can tell they shouldn't.

Edit* Just saw a post was made about the dispelling globes bug a couple of weeks ago, sry for reposting then. There is still the issue of Insect Plaque though.

Merged topics.

My question is that the globes grant you immunity to spell level 3--does dispel magic should always fail regardless of the flag on the effects, or is it fine because it's going via projectile (a la how Skull Trap was getting through)? If it's not, we have to add specific immunities to every third level spell except dispel magic--I recall seeing it done on some other spell like this, but I can't find it at the moment.

Only true area effect projectiles need the specific protections. If you can find a copy of my TP2, the changes to spwi406 & 602 (I think those are the globes) should have all the spells needing specific immunity and changes to make them dispellable. But as I stated:

I think it needs discussion, though, since I still believe they did it on purpose once the magic attack spells were added.

I put in the spells that were cloud or trap. Melf's Acid Arrow was there because some other common immunity granting block from some spells or items always specifically protected against it; it shouldn't make any difference (maybe they added it since the effects are lingering, but I don't know what effect adding the protection afterward really has).

The globes protect against NP spells because enemies can cast them too (you don't want globed enemies affected by the teleport field you cast).

SPWI307.spl (Invisibility 10' Radius) uses INAREASM.pro (totally indiscriminate)
This is a bug; it should be *PA (party only). There's some thread around here where I pointed this out; I suggested the standard projectile (even though it's 30', it's the same used by Protection from Evil 10').

SPPR211.spl (Silence 15' Radius) uses SPKLARBL.pro (party exclusive)
That projectile is global (used to terrible effect by some of the enemies, since they almost always silence themselves and their allies).

It's not legendary; just long. It used to be far more arcane, but I unrolled all the loops and cut out all my ghetto hacks to speed things up.

Merged topics.

My question is that the globes grant you immunity to spell level 3--does dispel magic should always fail regardless of the flag on the effects, or is it fine because it's going via projectile (a la how Skull Trap was getting through)? If it's not, we have to add specific immunities to every third level spell except dispel magic--I recall seeing it done on some other spell like this, but I can't find it at the moment.

Hello,

In my opinion its only a non-updated spell-description, as the Minor Globe also exists in BG1 - and there it _IS_ dispellable.

But in BG2 you have spell against the Globe, that doesn't exist in BG1:

SPWI513 Breach

SPWI608 Piercing Magic

both can dispel the Minor Globe of Invunerability. So in BG2 its no longer nesscary to make it dispellable.

But if you want it to be dispellable - flag it as dispellable in all its headers, because its original flagged as "No dispel/Not bypass resistance" :)

(in BG1 its flagged as "Dispel/Bypass resistance")

Regards

Roana

In my opinion its only a non-updated spell-description, as the Minor Globe also exists in BG1 - and there it _IS_ dispellable.

Ooh, that's a deal-breaker. This implies that the devs went in and changed it during the migration from BG to BG2; I'm now more inclined to believe the description should be altered.

Version: ToB

Mods: Fixpack, Tweak pack, SCSII, Ascension, Redemption, Widescreen

Description:

Greetings. I've been playing about with some BGII mods lately, and noticed what I think may be a bug. In an encounter where I was jumped by slavers, the mage cast minor globe of invulnerability on himself (so the log says).

I attempted to use a spell thrust to remove the globe (as it specifically mentions that it does so), but I got a "spell ineffective" message (much like when one casts breach against a lich in the default game), which I assume means that the globe is nullifying it, as it's a 3rd level spell.

Now, I know that SCSII also modifies spell thrust (to make it bypass improved invisibility), but I found an old post remarking on how the fixpack sets spell thrust's power to 3 for consistency. It is mentioned that it's still able to remove spell turning, but is it possible that this caused it to not be able to remove minor globe of invulnerability?

Thanks for your help.

It bears doublechecking, but we shouldn't be doing this in the Fixpack - the Magic Attack list only gets a consistent free pass over magic resistance and primary type immunity.

There are a few contributors who make changes in their own game versions that are never intended for the Fixpack and have intorted dependencies :)

It bears doublechecking, but we shouldn't be doing this in the Fixpack - the Magic Attack list only gets a consistent free pass over magic resistance and primary type immunity.

And after testing, it doesn't give a free pass to power levels. This is a Fixpack bug and will be addressed in the next version.

It also appears that a successful Dispel/Remove Magic can not remove a Minor Globe of Invulnerability either which is contrary to the spell's description:

The globe can be brought down by a successful dispel magic spell.

For testing purposes I've made a level 14 enemy Mage from STI cast the Minor Globe on himself and had Keldorn at level 40 trying to dispel it about 10 times and it never worked. :help:

Archived