Siluria

MrEnnigma

I'd volunteer to help write, but I think someone would probably break my fingers first if I do.  lol.gif

Well once you're available Bev I'd love to have you aboard. Wouldn't dream of distracting you modders protection program from anything else we can protectect you that you might be working 555help on. wink.gif

To give everybody a better idea of what I have in mind for Sil's personality here's the original joining dialogue. It's a bit graphic towards the end (violence wise) and I've made some background changes that will probably negate that aspect. The master/slave bit is most likely out as well. Does everything up to that point give you a good idea who/what you are dealing with or should I try and keep the gory details in?

SIL: *A striking woman appears from the back room carrying a tankard in one hand and using the back of the other to wipe a red sticky substance from her lips* You called? Then <PRO_HESHE> has agreed to take me off your hands?

PC:

A) I have indeed. I'm sure you will make an excellent addition to the group. By the way, what spirit do you drink that clings so to the lips? SEE SPIRIT

B) I have at that. Your skills could prove most useful in my search for a man called Irenicus. SEE IRENICUS

// will need to make sure this isn't an option after chp 3

C) Indeed I have. I need aid if I am to acquire the funds necessary to locate my sister Imoen. SEE IMOEN

// will need to make sure this isn't an option after chp 3

SPIRIT

SIL: *smiles before slowly licking her lips* This? It's blood.

PC:

1) BLOOD!? SEE SAYWHAT

2) I'm sorry, did you say blood? SEE BLOOD

3) Thavian Blood? From a tankard? Your constitution is strong indeed! SEE STRONG

IRENICUS

SIL: *stares at you pointedly over the rim of the tankard* Irenicus? Then it is good I shall travel with you for he and I have unfinished business.

PC:

1) Then you know of him? SEE HIM

2) How do you know Irenicus? SEE HOW

3) I care not for your desires. Let us simply be off. There is much to do. (END, Joins)

IMOEN

SIL: You *lost* your sister? *waggles a finger at you before taking another drink* Tch, tch, how terribly careless of you.

PC:

1) I did not *lose* her! She was taken from me and I do not care for your tone! SEE TONE

2) She was spirited away by the Cowled Wizards. I intend to find where they have taken her and effect a rescue. SEE RESCUE

3) Perhaps once you've learned more of the situation you'll save you're barbs for the enemy. Let us go. (END, Joins)

SAYWHAT

SIL: *smile turning into a predatory grin* Yes blood. The same ichor I assume flows thru your veins? Well not the same, this came from whatever is being served for the next meal...not what I prefer but it still slakes the thirst.

PC:

1) What manner of creature are you woman? SEE MANNER

2) I see...we will have to speak of this later. For now, let us go. (END, Joins)

3) Fiend! I could never travel with such as you! SEE NODICE

BLOOD

SIL: You heard true. *dips a finger into the tankard stirring slowly* Not what I prefer, this came from whatever is being served for the next meal. *she raises the finger to her lips before sucking it between them* I prefer it from a fresher source.

PC:

1) *eyes narrowed* What manner of creature are you? SEE MANNER

2) You may join for now but I will want explanations later. (END, Joins)

3) I've changed my mind. I cannot travel the road ahead constantly worried about what lies behind. SEE NODICE

STRONG

SIL: *shakes head slowly* I've never had the pleasure. This is from whatever is being served for the next meal. I would prefer the former but as none is available one drinks what one can.

PC:

1) That's blood!? SEE SAYWHAT

2) You mean that's actually blood? SEE BLOOD

3) I did not bargain for this. I'm sorry but I cannot travel with you. SEE NODICE

HIM

SIL: Scarred face, emotionless, penchant for leather? Oh yes I know him. I was his "guest" for a time. *there seems to be a soft emerald glow to her eyes now, though it may be a trick of the tavern lighting* I owe him a debt of pain.

PC:

1) So be it. Now what ale do you drink? It looks to be one I'm not familiar with. SEE SPIRIT

2) I seek him because he will know where Imoen is. I must find her. SEE IMOEN

3) As do I. Join with me then and we will settle our debts together. (END, Joins)

HOW

SIL: I was his "guest" for a time. *her eyes glow a soft green and not from the firelight within the tavern* I owe him a debt of pain.

1) Then we're agreed. Let us drink to the road ahead! I'll have what she's having. SEE SPIRIT

2) Your debt can wait. He knows where Imoen is and her rescue comes first. SEE RESCUE

3) Then we have something in common. Join with me and when we find him I'll help you settle your debt. (END, Joins)

TONE

SIL: *her eyes seem to flash green for an instant but it is quickly gone* I am...sorry. I meant no offense. My time here has been unpleasant and I am still on edge.

PC:

1) Apology accepted. I could use something to take the edge off myself. What are you drinking? SEE SPIRIT

2) Bah! I do not need you or your poisoned tongue. I will find others to join me. SEE NODICE

3) Let's forget it then. Gather your equipment and we'll be off. (END, Joins)

RESCUE

SIL: Oh a rescue is it? And from the cowled ones no less. Well this should provide much more interesting opponents than have been my want of late. My skills are yours if for no other reason than a chance to actually exercise them.

PC

1) Then it is agreed. First I need something to wash the dust from my throat. What spirit are you drinking? SEE SPIRIT

2) Very well. Gather your equipment and we'll be off. (END, Joins)

MANNER

SIL: Let me just say I enjoy the sun's touch as much as anyone and I will not go on a killing rampage simply to do so. Trust is a dangerous thing and until there is more between us my secrets are mine to keep.

PC:

1) Very well but I will be keeping an eye on you. (END, Joins)

2) Then you will keep them here. I don't need you. SEE NODICE

NODICE

SIL: If that is your wish. I will remain here till you change your mind. END

EDIT: Reflects revised dialogue

Well, let's just say she's complicated. rolleyes.gif

As I'm getting a positive vibe on her I'll press on with the development. Trying to hammer out her views on the other npcs currently.

Thanks everybody for the input and please continue should you have any thoughts. smile.gif

What bothers me is the overtly graphical portrait posted at FW which places much more emphasis on the bare chest and thighs than on the NPC's face. I am afraid that it makes me to doubt the purpose of the mod off the bat, even if dialogue looks worked on thoroughly. See, when you use a line like: A striking woman appears... you sort of prescribe to the PC how he sees the character. In my case if I saw this portrait, my reaction would have been for example: "A nude appears"... so you might want to leave the initiative to PC and go with "Siluria appears..." leaving to the player to decide if he likes the look of the NPC in question. Otherwise such epitet might irritate a player.

I mostly agree with Domi re: the portrait. Vampire or no, there's not much logic behind the whole nude warrior woman thing, unless you're talking about a game set in historical Thailand or somesuch. Amn does not have the climate for it, and even if i did the amount of negative attention it would draw would fairly quickly become absurdly inconvenient. Sooner or later even the most sociopathic is going to get tired of catcalls and killing drunks, and even the most hardened tavernkeep is going to call the watch.

On the other hand, I strongly support the right of atractive people to be naked. :groucho:

I'd agree on this point too. Portraits can be useful to show players exactly what they're getting, but the face should be the focus of the portrait. A semi-naked full body portrait does send the wrong message, I think.

But, you know, feel free to include it as an alternate for once you've got the right message across. :groucho:

Yeh, I concur - a portrait more focussed on the face would be nice. ???

On the other hand, I strongly support the right of atractive people to be naked. :groucho:

Why, thank you. :(

Andyr, is your stick figure naked? or just wearing a skin-tight catsuit or something?

Siluria seems to not mind being a slave at all, and yet she certainly gave Lehtinan a violent retribution! Is that an intended part of her personality? Did she just hate Lehtinan or does she just love violence? Sorry if this is already answered, I only had time to skim her info...

What bothers me is the overtly graphical portrait posted at FW which places much more emphasis on the bare chest and thighs than on the NPC's face. I am afraid that it makes me to doubt the purpose of the mod off the bat, even if dialogue looks worked on thoroughly. See, when you use a line like: A striking woman appears... you sort of prescribe to the PC how he sees the character. In my case if I saw this portrait, my reaction would have been for example: "A nude appears"... so you might want to leave the initiative to PC and go with "Siluria appears..." leaving to the player to decide if he likes the look of the NPC in question. Otherwise such epitet might irritate a player.

I've gotten mixed reviews on the portrait but as they tend to swing to one extreme or the other I've decided to seek alternatives. I sometimes forget the power of pictures and will admit I certainly did in this case. Thank you for the dialogue tip, I hadn't thought about that, but can now see your point. I truly want this character to have substance, I have too much respect for the community at large to attempt to create anything less.

I mostly agree with Domi re: the portrait. Vampire or no, there's not much logic behind the whole nude warrior woman thing, unless you're talking about a game set in historical Thailand or somesuch. Amn does not have the climate for it, and even if i did the amount of negative attention it would draw would fairly quickly become absurdly inconvenient. Sooner or later even the most sociopathic is going to get tired of catcalls and killing drunks, and even the most hardened tavernkeep is going to call the watch.

Thank you Bob. I've been considering giving you a PM concerning this very thing. I've come to respect you from your posts and wanted to know if it was simply the portrait or the content that concerned you.

But, you know, feel free to include it as an alternate for once you've got the right message across. tongue.gif

In retrospect this would have been a much better idea I agree. Chalk it up to inexperience on my part. I will strive to make more careful decisions in the future.

Siluria seems to not mind being a slave at all, and yet she certainly gave Lehtinan a violent retribution! Is that an intended part of her personality? Did she just hate Lehtinan or does she just love violence? Sorry if this is already answered, I only had time to skim her info...

Actually, I've dropped that aspect completely. After further thought I decided it wasn't needed. The whole thing with Lehtinan is out as well. I wasn't sure about it to begin with and feedback indicates it casts her in a light that is not what I want. She has a bloodlust yes but she is not a bloodthirsty monster.

Again my thanks to all those who have given constructive criticism. It stops a stumble from putting me flat on my face.

Yeh, I concur - a portrait more focussed on the face would be nice. ???

On the other hand, I strongly support the right of atractive people to be naked. :(

Why, thank you. :D

Andyr, is your stick figure naked? or just wearing a skin-tight catsuit or something?

Um, it's not something I've thought about too much... :groucho:

DISCLAIMER: My opinion only

What if I diasagree that the female in question is striking? I have to come to this conclusion *myself* as a player (ie chose the option which says "Siluria, you are a striking woman!"), not being dictated by the author that she is striking. Otherwise you go into a Mary-Sue syndrom when everybody and the author keeps saying (or thinking) that the character is O! so beautiful or O! so intellegent etc...

OK how about:

SIL: *To a chorus of wolf whistles and loud propositions from the patrons, a nearly nude woman appears* You called? Then <PRO_HESHE> has agreed to take me off your hands?

PC:

A) I have indeed. I'm sure you will make an excellent addition to the group. By the way, why are you naked? SEE NAKED

B) I have at that. Your skills could prove most useful. Um, aren't you cold? SEE COLD

C) Indeed I have. I need aid if I am to acquire funds. However, I'm sure I could spare the cash to get you a robe or something. SEE CASH

C) Indeed I have. I need aid if I am to acquire funds. However, I'm sure I could spare the cash to get you a robe or something. SEE CASH

Sorry, Bob, ME, cannote resists:

D) Indeed I have. I need aid if I am to acquire funds. Looking like that you are sure to collect at least 5 gp per night... So, get started.

Archived