SCS Slowsdown game?

Jarin

With my Easytutu installation, I am experiencing a huge slowdown in crowded areas. Nashkel, Beregost, the Gnoll Fortress, and the Ankheg farms. Somehow, I think SCS might just be responsible, with it changing the AI scripting and all.

First of all, can I be right? Second of all: If I am, how can I solve it?

But everytime I kill that gnome running away from the kobolds there my game acts normal.
The only thing I can see in SCS that touches that guy is that it corrects his saving throws and changes one of the kobolds chasing him to two kobolds. It creates them at the same coordinates... maybe that's a problem?

He is supposed to be a fighter/illusionist, so it could be Smarter Mages, but I don't see SCS messing with his scripts.

I'm not much of a scripting expert, but won't a block like this cause an endless loop potentially? It's from the vanilla game Nashkel Mines area script:

IF
 Global("Chapter","GLOBAL",2)
THEN
 RESPONSE #100
TriggerActivation("Door5401",TRUE)
END

I'm rather suspicious of this "Dark Side-based kobold upgrade" though. If you only knew the power of the Dark Side...

Guest Guest
I've run into some fairly intense lag in Beregost, so I was wondering what you'd found to be the cause mentioned in the second post?

It was either the STone of Avaskar, or installing the Restored Minor Diologs component from UB and then the BG1NPC project.

I go for the second option...

Hmm.. Now it seems just to be Nashkel. Might have to do with the fact that I saw 15 (!) Amnish gaurds on screen at once. Could this be moved to general modding? Some mod out there does this, and since it is not sure that it is SCS...

Guest Guest_Rss_*

SCS is undeniably slowing my game down, both load times and actual play with monsters on screen or about to show up. I uninstalled SCS and now it runs smooth, reinstalled and it was bad again. Now i just installed everything from SCS and I am going to uninstall components one by one to see what the culprit is.

Guest Guest

After uninstalling 'Smarter General AI' the problem has disappeared. I also tried uninstalling the whole mod and then installing Smarter General AI alone, and the same problem occurs.

There is definately something wrong with "Smarter General AI".

After uninstalling 'Smarter General AI' the problem has disappeared. I also tried uninstalling the whole mod and then installing Smarter General AI alone, and the same problem occurs.

There is definately something wrong with "Smarter General AI".

I doubt there's something "wrong" with it (though I could be wrong, of course), but it is fairly demanding processor-wise. What's your system like?

Guest Guest_rss_*

I am on an Intel Core 2 6400@2,13, 4k ram and geforce 7900.

To be more specific about what is happening, the game will stutter occasionally as i walk around when npc's are about to enter my screen, as if they are demanding to load. Once they are loaded, its smooth again. Its a minor annoyance, but its an annoyance nonetheless and if theres a simple fix it would make playing a little bit more enjoyable :cool:

I am on an Intel Core 2 6400@2,13, 4k ram and geforce 7900.

To be more specific about what is happening, the game will stutter occasionally as i walk around when npc's are about to enter my screen, as if they are demanding to load. Once they are loaded, its smooth again. Its a minor annoyance, but its an annoyance nonetheless and if theres a simple fix it would make playing a little bit more enjoyable :cool:

Okay, that makes sense. There are two lags that come with SCS (and SCSII).

(i) a systematic lag whenever scripts are running - you only get this on older computers.

(ii) a one-off lag when creatures are created, which you get even on new computers.

There isn't a simple fix, as it's just a matter of how long the engine takes to load a long script (SCS scripts can be up to 10,000 lines, whereas vanilla-game scripts are more like 50). Having said that, given that your computer sounds pretty top-of-the-range, I'm surprised you're having the level of problems that you are having - playing on computers several years older than that, I've found the lag unnoticeable except when spellcasters or huge numbers of creatures are created. It might be that there's something local you can do do improve performance (disable other things running in the background? defragment?) but I don't know enough about that side of IT to be able to say more.

Archived