The Bioware Romances

MrEnnigma

Reading thru some of the threads I've seen a general desire for changes to the romances. Some are too short, some only let you get to know the npc if you romance them, some just don't represent the npc well. So, what would you change about the romances if you could? If you have specific ideas about an npc, post'em.

From a modding perspective (for the more experienced or knowledgeable), how feasible would it be to do so? Would this involve more than just rewrites?

Guest Guest

They're great, the only thing that needs changing is a few more romantic-specific dialogues, like after you turn into the Slayer for the first time... it's not nice to have Anomen or Viconia say they will kill you next time, is it?

Two or three times as much banter, with most of the new stuff being the type of light flirting, storytelling, play and goofing around that real early infatuation involves, and some of the rest being serious discussions. An argument or two, with a real resolution. Most importantly, a friendship track for each romance, permitting CHARNAME to act as a good and supportive friend without becoming a romanic partner.

Also, Aerie and Viconia become less caricatures and more real people, Jaheira becomes a pure friendship with hints of possible future romance instead of replacing her husband within a month of his death, and Anomen gets more of a good side earlier in his story.

Two or three times as much banter, with most of the new stuff being the type of light flirting, storytelling, play and goofing around that real early infatuation involves, and some of the rest being serious discussions. An argument or two, with a real resolution. Most importantly, a friendship track for each romance, permitting CHARNAME to act as a good and supportive friend without becoming a romanic partner.

Agreed.

I'd remove Jaheira's romance or delay it till after Underdark at least

Why?

Because "I just saw my mutilated husband-of-many-years corpse, let us shag, o my friend's young ward!" does not work well for me?

I just think it's the worst match between the personality of the NPC and the romance track. I have less trouble beliving in Viconia's angst, though I have to say that I always thought that she was Veldrin's lover as well as sister and that's the child was theirs. Was very surprised that it is apparently a very rare POV, lol

I just think it's the worst match between the personality of the NPC and the romance track. I have less trouble beliving in Viconia's angst, though I have to say that I always thought that she was Veldrin's lover as well as sister and that's the child was theirs. Was very surprised that it is apparently a very rare POV, lol

I thought that she was his lover as well as his sister. Didn't make the connection with the baby, but looked at that way the story makes a heck of a lot more sense.

Guest Aristothenes

Who is Veldrin, if he is not the PC-turned-into-drow at Underdark?

And why his sister? They never knew each other before Peldvale(or Athkatla if you've only played BG2).

Guest Guest

Valas is Viconia's brother, and she never said they were lovers. She said they were best friends and looked out for each other, though the dialogue in ToB seems to suggest something different... what was it Valas said? "Like no other drow I cared for you," seems a bit MORE than friends there, really.

Jaheira's romance is okay for me. It seems to me that Jaheira's was the main romance and the others were just there for variety. And, anyway, Jaheira DOES take ages to get over Khalid, even though it might not seem like it. Even in ToB (I hate counting the ToB romances because they were written by different people weren't they?) when she sees Khalid's wraith accusing her of jumping into the sack with the PC straight away and never loving him she breaks down.

I'd agree with the Aerie thing. Also, they shoulda added more romance options for women, like Haer'Dalis and Valygar, which got cut, atleast that way there'd be less of those nazi-Anomen haters that I get quite sick of.

Archived