Fallout 3

theacefes

They do in the sense that certain outfits can give bonuses to your social stats and skills. Plus several people recognise the Vault jumpsuit you're wearing, though I've never tested what happens if you're wearing Raider or Wastelander clothing.

I'm pretty sure that Morrowind (but not Oblivion, strangely) also had people react more or less favourably to you based upon what you were wearing, and occasionally comment about your scruffy appearance if you were wearing peasant garb.

Anyway, does anyone react to what your character is wearing?

They do in the sense that certain outfits can give bonuses to your social stats and skills. Plus several people recognise the Vault jumpsuit you're wearing, though I've never tested what happens if you're wearing Raider or Wastelander clothing.

I'm pretty sure that Morrowind (but not Oblivion, strangely) also had people react more or less favourably to you based upon what you were wearing, and occasionally comment about your scruffy appearance if you were wearing peasant garb.

In Fallout it is just the bonuses that have an influence on the people. But that's all. It is true that in Morrowind they also reacted to the quality of your clothing (if you wear the cheapest style of clothing, people adressed you differently than when you were wearing the highest quality of clothing). That wouldn't really work well in Fallout, I admit, as most everything is salvaged, and as the art book says about the clothing "There's some very interesting, weird combinations out there" (Paraphrased). I'm looking at you, wastelander who wears a motorcycle helmet all day - that can't be good for your hair or skin on your head, you know, in that heat.

But in Morrowind they also reacted to different specific clothings...and to you being nude/in your underwear. One thing you *didn't* want to do is wear Ordinator Armor, even a piece of it, while running around Vivec - and if you just had to do that anyway, *DON'T* talk to the Ordinators! They don't take kindly to non-Ordinators wearing their armour, immediately assuming that you killed one of their colleagues to get it (which is not necessarily the case), and attempt to return the favour, instantly attacking you. But in Fallout 3 you don't get any reaction to running around in your Underwear (not that that is something I make a habit of. It's just that I've had it happen to me a few times that I had accidentally right clicked the clothes my character was wearing in the item menu, thus dropping them, and only later realising that she had been running around the wasteland and talking to people in her skivvies for who knows how long. If people would just react to her state of undress, I would have noticed a lot faster.), or if you wear the "Naughty Nightwear" to convince people, apart from the additional speech bonus it grants.

Oh, and I understand that the miniatures can be dressed up too. But kids today are pampered by all these 3D games and don't realise what they're missing if they refuse to play less "graphically advanced" games too.

- :D:) :) :p:D:p :p

Oh, and I understand that the miniatures can be dressed up too. But kids today are pampered by all these 3D games and don't realise what they're missing if they refuse to play less "graphically advanced" games too.

FINO3 is M-rated.

Anyway, TB-isometric doesn't have to be less "graphically advanced". Though, as I said before I'm not going to throw away an equivalent of three minimum monthly wages away just to have new graphics that will get old in a year or two anyway, so it warrants extremely low ratings from me :) .

Also, what kids want is irrelevant, since Fallout never was a mainstream game like Doom and Diablo.

FINO3 is M-rated.

Anyway, TB-isometric doesn't have to be less "graphically advanced". Though, as I said before I'm not going to throw away an equivalent of three minimum monthly wages away just to have new graphics that will get old in a year or two anyway, so it warrants extremely low ratings from me :) .

Also, what kids want is irrelevant, since Fallout never was a mainstream game like Doom and Diablo.

I should have added that you should read "Kids" as "People that are technically adults, but are a few years younger nevertheless, due to being born a few years later, and thus not being exposed to the good old games, since they were too young at the time and never bothered to play them later on". So they *are* legally able to play Fallout 3 too.

And yes, I myself am "only" 21. Which is still older than many of those "Kids". And *I* 'bother' (though really, it's more a pleasure than a bother) to play older games. Still playing Zork, for example, and other IF games.

And I agree, Fallout never was a mainstream game. Still, I am not complaining about the graphics either. Graphics type rarely factors at all into my judgement of a game. It's similar to how I don't care what actor a character is played by, I will be fan of the character, not the actor (It would all be the same to me if Jack Sparrow were to be played by Bud Spencer instead of Johnny Depp, just as long as he delivers a convincing performance.), that I will be fan of the game, not it's look. The look is secondary - it could be entirely text based, and I'd still love it, as long as it's well done. :) Though I realise that some people are a bit more insistent that *nothing* be changed about how a sequel of an established series be.

- :p:D:p :p :D:p :p

There are some spoilers here...

Just a brief answer to whether people react to your dress...the only time it really seemed to matter was if you happened to be wearing the suit of the Mechanus, or the Ant Agonizer and meet up with their opponent...(given to you at Canterbury Commons)

Well, now that I have finished the game, I would have to give it a 3.5 out of 5...a C- minus. Which is better than I expected out of Bethesda, but not as high as I hoped.

When it just comes to graphics, I did feel Bethesda certainly got the feel right of visually portraying a post-apocalyptic world. Of course, it isn't like this hasn't been done in either games either.

I did feel the opening sequences to get people used to the controls, as well as introduce your beginnings in the vault were good...but definitely not something everyone wants to do for replay.

And I admit, I was somewhat amused with Stanislaus Braun, and finding one's father...

For that matter, I admit I liked the use of 3 Dog, but they should have had a little more variety in music...or one had an option of plopping in their own music as well.

But this wasn't enough to raise my score.

The first is that all the characters fell flat. It doesn't help when it seemed like they were actually meant to say something more, or do something more...and it was cut short.

For that matter, most of the towns just felt bleah to me. Not that they need a thousand people, but when Canterbury Commons only has five individuals...and was supposed to be the meeting place of several merchants?

Not to mention the quests just didn't seem to matter to much to me. This wasn't immediate, not until I saw what passed for an ending. I think it is fair I actually thought the endings for Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 were better than Fallout 3's. True, Fallout 1/2 only had a simple picture, and piece of exposition, but what you did in the town could alter the future of the town (Not always...like in the mining town in Fallout 2, you could do 'good,' but the mines still failed, etc.) Bethesda couldn't even be bothered to do this, instead giving a variety of images which may or may not reflect what you did.

Of course, some sort of innate logic would have been good. One glaring example was Lamplight Caverns...just how did they keep getting kids to keep up their ranks, especially if they booted everyone out by 16??? And yeah, I expect someone to point out "you don't have to be that age to reproduce..." Given Bethesda, this probably would not be an idea they would want to broach.

Yes, games of this ilk tend to be combat oriented, and such, but Fallout 3 tries to be a shooter...and if I want a shooter, there are certainly better games than this.

And the bugs, and crashes...good grief. I know people with console versions of it, and they have had their headaches that way too.

Dogmeat dies too much and a lot of those kills results from me. He likes to jump in my line of fire. Not the smartest thing to do with someone using a powerful gun like the combat shotgun or a mini laser. I hate reloading so I just left him at my place.

I find he suits my playstyle better than a gun-armed NPC. I move aruond almost contantly in stealth, so Dogmeat runs forward and attracts attention, resulting in me staying stealthed and getting more stelth based criticals than I otherwise would. I do have to leave him somewhere when a lot of enemies show up, or I can't kill 'em fast enough to stop him dying.

Archived