Not attacking, but invisible

Seems like a small AI glitch, so I think I'd post it.

I got to the Bard in the Xvart Encampment map who tries to sell you cursed equipment, figuered "How tough could a lone bard be?" (I mentally blocked out Nimbul, since he was so hard :(), and attacked him. After a bit of a hard battle, during which Imoen and Alora almost died, he drank an Invisibility Potion, then a healing potion, then waited... For the hour it takes for Invisibility to wear off.

He followed my party when I tried to move away, so I couldn't rest to wait out the duration, so I kept the game unpaused, turned auto-pause: enemy sighted on, and read a book. Wasn't he supposed to attack again, after drinking a healing potion or two?

This happened a long while ago, but I forgot to post it, but I'm pretty sure I have the details right, but I forgot how the battle went, exactly. If I was sure where he was, I'd've tried to use Agannazar's Scorcher on another party member to catch him, but I figured it was more prudent to wait out the duration. :(

If I was sure where he was, I'd've tried to use Agannazar's Scorcher on another party member to catch him, but I figured it was more prudent to wait out the duration. :D
Fat chance... he has a 100% magical resistance, you ain't going to kill him with magic... I do have a way of killing him though. But it ain't exactly honest, but as he isn't exactly as honest either having 3 Spell Sequencer/Contingency'es that pop up 3 Shields Spells :D etc. totaling into 9 spells... I just run away while my archers picked him off, while still neutral.

By the way, this gives quite good location info on him, same as everything else in their games.

It's more "emergent" than "intended". If an enemy mage is invisible and has attack spells, he'll attack; if not, he hasn't got much incentive to stop being invisible.

On the other hand, however realistic it is for enemies to remain invisible in that situation, it's probably annoying enough that I ought to get them to make a suicidal melee attack or something.

On the other hand, however realistic it is for enemies to remain invisible in that situation, it's probably annoying enough that I ought to get them to make a suicidal melee attack or something.

Personally, I think it is fine as it is because, as you said, it's the sensible thing for a cornered mage without offensive spells would do.

So ... True Sight rules in SCS ... :-)))

mm75

Um, what true sight? You have clerics in the party who can cast level 6 spells in BG1? Nice.

I vote for the suicidal thing, same reason as DavidW said, and it's not as though many other things that happen are realistic if you want to argue with that as a basis.

Anyways, IF they did use an invis potion and wanted to stay hidden (for 'realism' as some here say) then why oh why stay there? Why not run away?

"Oh, i am out of spells, I shall stay here invisible, I shall not move, they may kill me when this runs out, but until then I shall stay. I am clever."

Which of course takes away our loot/quest progression if this is the generic route taken with enemy AI in future. We can't have that.

Anyways, IF they did use an invis potion and wanted to stay hidden (for 'realism' as some here say) then why oh why stay there? Why not run away?

First: there is no need for True Sight. Detect Invisibility would work as well.

Second: the cornered mage would stay invisible hoping that the enemy might leave the battle scene. For gameplay reasons, the mage can't just be made to leave.

No suicidal attack is still the preferable solution.

First: there is no need for True Sight. Detect Invisibility would work as well.

Already used the only two scrolls of that I had. :D

Second: the cornered mage would stay invisible hoping that the enemy might leave the battle scene. For gameplay reasons, the mage can't just be made to leave.
He wasn't just sitting still, he was following me so I couldn't rest.
He wasn't just sitting still, he was following me so I couldn't rest.

This is annoying then, yes.

It doesn't even make sense because the mage knows that he won't likely have a chance once he is back to being visible.

If there is no way to change his script in a more convenient way (I stay invisible in my place, hoping for them to leave so that I will regain my spells and energy), then the suicide attack is the only solution, I guess. :D

As a point of interest, the reason this kind of behaviour occurs is that it's very difficult for the script to tell if the mage has any offensive spells left. So he just hangs around waiting until some attack-spell block fires, but because he doesn't have any attack spells, he's out of luck.

There are workarounds, though, and I use them in SCSII. I should probably bring them into SCSI.

Archived