SR V3

Demivrgvs

Guys, wouldn't PMs be better for such cross talk? Not a big problem but this topic is already quite huge. :)

Shaitan, my guess is the problem is caused by Tweak Pack's "Add Save Penalties for Spells Cast by High-Level Casters (BETA)", which I highly recommended to not use with SR (for balance purposes though, not for compatibility). :p

I had a new thought today regarding PW: Kill, the weak-ass 9th level spell which "sometimes" does 60 damage to a target.

Simple fix: Save vs. death - Success: 60 magic damage. Failure: Death

That's a bit too deadly for mages, don't you think? I could see it be, like: Save vs. death - Success: 30 +1d30 magic damage. Failure: Death with -3 save.

Only minus 3 cause of the pure power. And that there is no single character that has negative natural saves.

Magnetism: -4 to AC
Fixed for v3.
How exactly?

And Demi, any changes to to first post?

Guys, wouldn't PMs be better for such cross talk?
Well perhaps... my option no, except in special cases...

And I solved the user error. :)

Power Word Kill

I had a new thought today regarding PW: Kill, the weak-ass 9th level spell which "sometimes" does 60 damage to a target.

Simple fix: Save vs. death - Success: 60 magic damage. Failure: Death

That's a bit too deadly for mages, don't you think? I could see it be, like: Save vs. death - Success: 30 +1d30 magic damage. Failure: Death with -3 save.

Only minus 3 cause of the pure power. And that there is no single character that has negative natural saves.

Sorry I haven't noticed this. Well, 60 points of damage on a successful save is outstandingly overpowered imo. As Jarno suggests it would kill most mages even on a successful save!

Furthermore, I don't like having a PW spell deal damage at all. If we need to improve this spell I think the solution should be to use V3's PW Sleep as template. In this case you would have: targets with less than 60hp die (as per vanilla, no save) + those with more hit points are allowed a save vs spell to avoid the effect. This should probably make PW Kill a sort of "improved" Finger of Death (the latter deals damage even on a successful save, the former don't, but kills a wounded enemy with no save, and has almost instant casting time).

Magnetism: -4 to AC
Fixed for v3.
How exactly?
By adding "penalty". :p

And Demi, any changes to to first post?
Yeah, I should add latest changes to Faerie Fire and Glitterdust. Anyhing else I'm missing? :)

Edit: Mantle and Improved Mantle too.

Web

web still have 2 casting time with pell_rev_v3_beta15
:) Fixed again, this time I'll make sure I don't mess up things when we and Mike send each other the files.

Protection from Evil

Isn't there a consensus to remove to ugly animation of protection from evil ?
I don't know, is there? If yes I'd gladly remove it (I mean the glowing character effect, not the casting animation).

Protection from Evil

Isn't there a consensus to remove to ugly animation of protection from evil ?
I don't know, is there? If yes I'd gladly remove it (I mean the glowing character effect, not the casting animation).
You know what, I suddenly ended up working on this:

- I removed the ugly glowing effect

- I've replaced Protecion from Evil 10' radius with Magic Circle Against Evil

Magic Circle Against Evil

It now works as an aura-like effect, always centered on the caster. Last 1 round/level, and each round every ally within 10 feet from the caster is affected by Protection from Evil for 1 round. The spell now uses a much better animation taken from another IE game (I think Refinements uses it for Holy Aura).

It now works as an aura-like effect, always centered on the caster.

This might be stupid idea... but shouldn't Magic Circle Against Evil be a circle like area effect centered on a specific area target. Like it's in movies and TV series...

It's actually very easy to make, just summon an invisible character that casts a specific spell at every turn. Yeah, it's a bad idea... :)

Shaitan, my guess is the problem is caused by Tweak Pack's "Add Save Penalties for Spells Cast by High-Level Casters (BETA)", which I highly recommended to not use with SR (for balance purposes though, not for compatibility). :)

I wasn't able to reproduce this with a ToB-level new druid with any of Tweaks' Save Penalties components (Arcane Only/Divine Only/Both) - FF worked fine with all. Since there's multiple headers for different levels, it's possible one of the other levels didn't work, but that would be a rarer bug.

To clear this up, Shaitan, what level was your character casting the spell when it didn't work? Can you (or Demi) pass your modded Faerie Fire files (sppr114.spl and sppr114f.spl) along for me test out? And can you try running the changelog once more? This time just download this and it will do the changelog for you. Extract the contents to your BG2 directory and run faerie_fire_changelog.bat. It will generate a file faerie_fire_changelog.txt. Either copy/paste the contents of the .txt file here or in a PM, or upload it and link to it.

I have unfortunately allready uninstalled that component, but the changelog as you send results in this:

[weidu.exe] WeiDU version 21100
[./Chitin.key] 183 BIFFs, 41793 resources
[./dialog.tlk] 105394 string entries
[weidu.exe] Using scripting style "BG2"
[spell_rev\languages\english\arcane.tra] has 422 translation strings
[spell_rev\languages\english\divine.tra] has 297 translation strings
[spell_rev\languages\english\setup.tra] has 16 translation strings

Mods affecting SPPR114F.SPL:
00000: /* from game biffs */ ~SPELL_REV/SETUP-SPELL_REV.TP2~ 0 0 // Spell Revisions

Mods affecting SPPR114.SPL:
00000: /* from game biffs */ ~SPELL_REV/SETUP-SPELL_REV.TP2~ 0 0 // Spell Revisions

I was fresh out in Chateux Irenicus (250.000 xp) but perhaps it has something to do with Slightly imp. Illyich mod, which altersmany encounters therein? It has worked splendid afterwards - even before uninstalling that said mod from the tweakpack...

Cheers

I was fresh out in Chateux Irenicus (250.000 xp) but perhaps it has something to do with Slightly imp. Illyich mod, which altersmany encounters therein? It has worked splendid afterwards - even before uninstalling that said mod from the tweakpack...

I think we might consider it a fluke if it doesn't get encountered again. Perhaps when you were using it earlier, no enemies were within 5 feet of the target area by the time it hit, or the enemies made the saving throw and the combat text scrolled by too quickly to notice.

It now works as an aura-like effect, always centered on the caster.
This might be stupid idea... but shouldn't Magic Circle Against Evil be a circle like area effect centered on a specific area target. Like it's in movies and TV series... Yeah, it's a bad idea... :)
PnP version of this spell can be used in both ways (aura-like, and fixed AoE). There would be a third use too, it can be used as a "trap" for summoned evil creatures, but it's quite weak when used this way (it simply prevents the creature from moving out of the AoE), and useless in theory as in BG gated demons should simply use Dimension Door/Teleport to escape (though the AI wouldn't be able to handle it).

With a lot of work we may use the 2da system and make the original .spl file one of the selectable spells, so that the AI always use the reliable one (though I'm almost sure the AI never uses).

Anyway, while the "Trap" form of this spell may be interesting and perhaps doable (affecting gated demons's movement rate if they are within the spell's AoE, and/or making them "attracted" to an invisible creature at the center of the circle via wing buffect opcode), the fixed AoE version of this spell would be a pain imo. It would have almost no use unless the AoE is quite big, and making it work with Dispell Magic would probably be controversial.

It's actually very easy to make, just summon an invisible character that casts a specific spell at every turn.
This is actually how I thought to implement PnP Silence, but I'm not sure how it would work for the AI. :p

Archived