Safana's Portrait

XVIII

The Branwen edit was just to make her a more atractive romance option, but I sincerely believe that Safana was supposed to be young and hot. Did not think the original matched those qualities.

Almost drew the face from scratch, so migh not be that good (*looks at the Coran portrait* :) ). Again, original on the right, tweaked one on the left. This will be my final BG1 edit, I think the rest are fine.

safana.jpgSafana.jpg

Excellent job! (and I heartily agree with your assessment)

One comment: Could you do a bit more work on the hands? Her right hand in particular still looks a bit old/worn compared to the rest of her skin. You may also want to bring the dagger back into focus.

Guest SirLancelot
sincerely believe that Safana was supposed to be young and hot. Did not think the original matched those qualities

Ahem! this is too disgusting for me and i can´t understand your point of view....

..however, congratulations for your efforts and the great quality of the new portraits.

She is also portrayed as having charm of a savvy womam, enjoying more maturity than a young and hot starlette. Not that BG1 voicework is a marvel, but her voice is also deeper and sexier than that of a clueless debutante. I would not call it a disusting thing, but I guess what Lancelot disliked was a statement that only a specifically 'young' girl can fit into the idea of a temptress, when the opposite is more true.

Guest SirLancelot

Charisma is not only Beauty at all.

Charisma is mainly leadership, influence and friendship.

was portrayed as a temptress

Hell, a Dragon can be fascinating and also a non adorable elven little face.

Safana shouldn't look as an elven since she is human.

Besides, i find Safana quite attractive because of her personality and nature which is already portrayed in her original portrait.

Guest SirLancelot
She is also portrayed as having charm of a savvy womam, enjoying more maturity than a young and hot starlette. Not that BG1 voicework is a marvel, but her voice is also deeper and sexier than that of a clueless debutante. I would not call it a disusting thing, but I guess what Lancelot disliked was a statement that only a specifically 'young' girl can fit into the idea of a temptress, when the opposite is more true

Reading my mind, uh :)

Ah, I see. Oh well, was not sure how charisma worked in AD&D. On one hand it is linked to the qualities you mentioned. On the other, it is also linked to beauty. So while you might not neccessarily need to look good to have a charisma of 17 (if you have a very charming personality), looking good does not really hurt either.

That said, I don't really see how a plain looking middle aged woman (which is how I see the original portrait anyway, you might disagree) could make *any* kind of temptress whatsoever. Sure, age and looks does not matter *that* much when two people get to know each other well and fall in love, but for a temptress? Oh, common... savy and maturity can only take a person so far, a temptress must at least look above average or, failing that, then under 35. I can't be the only one who thinks that can I?

Btw, *how* can you like Safana for her personality and nature playing BG1 :)

I mean, you have her biography, then you have her deep throaty voice, then you have the "I'm looking for big strong men..." crack, so you draw the conclusion that she's supposed to be a temptress. But that's an awfully objective and impersonal thing is it not? Or are you the one responsible for writing her dialogues in the BG1 NPC project?

Guest SirLancelot
That said, I don't really see how a plain looking middle aged woman (which is how I see the original portrait anyway, you might disagree) could make *any* kind of temptress whatsoever.

Heh. First of all, in Safana original portrait she looks like a 25-30 woman for me. Secondly, i don´t find beauty in "your" Safana, and she is not an elf.

Sure, age and looks does not matter *that* much when two people get to know each other well and fall in love, but for a temptress? Oh, common... savy and maturity can only take a person so far, a temptress must at least look above average or, failing that, then under 35. I can't be the only one who thinks that can I?

See above.

Anyway, i don´t agree with you.

Well, let's hope Sir Lancelot likes Kiki's and Mr. Kiki's interpretation :)

One slightly drunk 18 yo taught me this lesson: (about his former girlfriend) "She was not pretty, no. But she was... was *charming* . I remebered it well.

Another one, more prominent example was from a book about a group of student making an archeological reasearch in the countryside. They made base camp in a village and were pointed to a couple who might want to let them a room in their house, but they warn them to keep their comments unsaid because the hostess is well, ugly. SO the city-dweller walks in and is confronted by the jaw-dropping beauty and he reacts to that by kissing her and praising her outloud. The lady's husband flares: "Do not you be teasing my wife! Yes, she is not pretty, but it is for her heart tat I love her... etc". After a while they come to understand, why the girl (who as the story goes never lacked for spare male hands to peel veggies or bring water from the well) was considered ugly in the village - she simply had a very different facial type than the rest of them.

Beauty is not a unversal category. You might not be accustomed to round faces with strong, wide cheekbones and associate it woth ugly, while for me, for whom such cast is not unusual, it accounts for her wildness and strength of will, and I do find her attractive and realistically so attractive. I can imagine a man falling for her.

Your edit is also lovely and reminds me exotic southern paintings.

"Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder." Couldn't agree with you more Domi :) Glad you find it exotic looking. I was trying to aim for that look considering her background.

And Lancelot, if that is how you see the original portrait, then I must agree that the original is perfectly fine for you.

Keep in mind that I made these portraits for my personal use above all and for others somewhere down the line. Sure I'd be happy I guess if you share my opinion; but in the end, it's not really my place to tell you what is beautiful and what is not :)

Archived