Project Image

Duckfeet

How about just making the Projected Image equivalent in power to a Simulacrum clone? (I.e., it's created with 60% of the caster's levels.) That would remove its ability to cast every spell in your spellbook for free without having to monkey with the mechanics too much, and it would make the Simulacrum spell clearly superior to the lower-level PI.
I'm not sure it can be done...

Anyway I was going to suggest a much heavier revision (which needs to be discussed though) to make it more like PnP PI:

- the projected image can’t cast any spells on itself except for illusion spells

- the projected image won't be dispelled by True Seeing anymore (Dispel should still work imo, but with a lvl check)

P.S I just found out a compatibility issue with SCS and SR. The former overwrites SR's Simulacrum spell, removing all my changes and restoring all the old issues (can be restored to 100% caster lvl, duplicates scrolls and items, ...).

P.S I just found out a compatibility issue with SCS and SR. The former overwrites SR's Simulacrum spell, removing all my changes and restoring all the old issues (can be restored to 100% caster lvl, duplicates scrolls and items, ...).

Better inform DavidW asap since he's due releasing new versions of SCS I and II soon(ish).

Couldn't you lose 2d4 spells from your spellbook on casting of each, to balance it all out?
You mean that casting PI would remove 2-8 spells (starting from the highest lvl ones, because the opcode works like that) from the original caster spellbook? Doesn't sound much appealing...

It would be better to simply remove (or prevent the clone from using) 9th lvl spells, but even then I wouldn't know how to do it.

Another option is, instead of making a clone, apply an effect that teleports the mage back to the casting location on hit/dispell.
I don't understand what you're trying to say sorry. :suspect:

IF
 SpellCast(Myself,SPELL_IDS_ENTRY)
THEN
 RESPONSE #100
ActionOverride(LastSummonerOf(Myself),ApplySpellRES("immunity",Myself))
ActionOverride(LastSummonerOf(Myself),ReallyForceSpell(Myself,SPELL_IDS_ENTRY))
END

Well, not ideal, but the closest thing I can think of.

Do you mean SIMULACR.SPL ?

If so, I don't think that's fixable. I use that spell for making hostile duplicates of party members in about three places in SCS and SCSII. In fact, I deliberately need to revert Fixpack's prohibition on using Restoration on simulacra for exactly that reason. IIRC, this is one place where I overwrite deliberately.

If so, I don't think that's fixable. I use that spell for making hostile duplicates of party members in about three places in SCS and SCSII. In fact, I deliberately need to revert Fixpack's prohibition on using Restoration on simulacra for exactly that reason. IIRC, this is one place where I overwrite deliberately.

IIRC, it's possible to create an exact duplicate of a creature (i.e. with all equipment, spells, special abilities etc.) by setting both parameters of opcode #236 to 0.

You can use a custom spell for that and it won't reference SIMULACR.SPL nor lower the clone's level. The only problem is that the clone is initially uncontrollable, has no AI script assigned and is considered an ally of the targeted creature, but that can be remedied via ActionOverride(), ChangeEnemyAlly() and ChangeAIScript().

Another option is, instead of making a clone, apply an effect that teleports the mage back to the casting location on hit/dispell.
I don't understand what you're trying to say sorry. :suspect:

I'm not sure, but doesn't PI makes a clone of you, puts you in control of the clone, and applies a hold effect on you. Then we have consistency problems when the clone casts spells at no cost to the original.

I was thinking, why use a clone when there's only one of you active anyway? So instead of controlling the clone, you just control your real caster the whole time, except it "looks" like a clone. Now you have to code the part where the clone gets dispelled and the caster gets restored.

So, on casting:

1. teleport the caster 5' to the left; create clone in user's original spot, inactive/held etc

2. Caster goes and does stuff

3. Spell ends if: clone is damaged, caster is damaged, or successful dispel illusion on caster or clone

4. When spell ends: clone is removed and caster is teleported back to clone position.

Probably not a workable idea but just tossing ideas around.

IIRC, it's possible to create an exact duplicate of a creature (i.e. with all equipment, spells, special abilities etc.) by setting both parameters of opcode #236 to 0.

You can use a custom spell for that and it won't reference SIMULACR.SPL nor lower the clone's level. The only problem is that the clone is initially uncontrollable, has no AI script assigned and is considered an ally of the targeted creature, but that can be remedied via ActionOverride(), ChangeEnemyAlly() and ChangeAIScript().

I had thought I'd experimented fairly extensively with #236 to find a way to do something like this, and hit a blank... but it's entirely possible I missed something, and it was two or three years ago in any case.

I had thought I'd experimented fairly extensively with #236 to find a way to do something like this, and hit a blank... but it's entirely possible I missed something, and it was two or three years ago in any case.

I do hope aVENGER knows how to make it work... :suspect: I really cannot bear vanilla's broke Simulacrum...

What's the issue if I locally restore SR changes? Your clones will have 60% xp, and...?

It seems to work. I've ctrl-Q'ed the clone and it had all levels, items, spells, etc.

Your clones will have 60% xp, and...?
They'll lose spells, thaco, hp, etc.

David, I hope you can implement aVENGER's suggestion but in the meanwhile I may have a sub-optimal solution to assure compatibility, if you simply need to be able to "restore" the clone to 100% xp.

The non-vanilla features I added are:

1. cannot be affected by restoration (* this is incompatibile with SCS)

2. the illusionary clone cannot use quick item slots (e.g. cloned potions and scrolls)

3. the illusionary clone cannot use items' special abilities (e.g. cast Sunray via cloned Daystar)

4. no more visual effects to point out which is the illusionary clone (no issue with SCS)

I also prevent multiple clones, but that's done via spwi804.spl, not simulacr.spl.

If your only issue is 1. then I can do two things:

a) make it affect the clone after 1-2 seconds (if that allows you to "restore" it via script before I block player's exploit)

b) remove the block, and let players decide themselves if they want to cheat or not

Let me now.

I need the clone to be able to everything the original can do, including use potions etc. (It needs to be an exact copy of the creature - or as near as I can manage.)

As I've said elsewhere, if someone else does the detailed work to get Avenger's solution up and running on SCS then I'll consider using it, but I don't think I'll be doing it myself.

Quickfix suggestion: Change the install options

With SCS option: allow spellcasters to cast clone spells: OFF, then use SR's version

With SCS option: allow spellcasters to cast clone spells: ON, then use SCS version or Vanilla's version

Bit of a compromise, allows players to have SCS installed but still use SR's spell version.

Archived