Red Alert

CoM_Solaufein

Can't say I'm surprised. Norton is abominable about false positives.

Had a fun time downloading mods onto fiance's computer Sunday night. He swears by Norton, and wouldn't let me disable it while downloading. Norton blocked every third download from any site, and then kept deleting the executable as soon as I extracted the archive, all with the 'helpful' message 'Harmful program removed.' We're talking weidu, here, not Worm-of-the-Month. Ironically, the computer had just come back from the shop after removal of an actual virus that Norton let right through.

I hate Norton so much. You can't even uninstall it, it sends tendrils all through your computer that will never, ever come out.

Oh yes!

I recently tinkered around with a friends laptop who wondered why it was running slow. I saw he had Norton on it and just sighed, a lot.

That blasted software will error message itself if you don't do every stupid thing it wants, when it wants it. Grrr..

The point of using AVS? To slow the proc down? When I was reinstalling OS two and a half years ago I didn't install AV and have been living happily ever since. Been only 2-3 times I caught a shit, which made me to run AV then turn it off.

Have common sense folks, and you won't need to worry about malware.

Had a fun time downloading mods onto fiance's computer Sunday night. He swears by Norton, and wouldn't let me disable it while downloading.
Bash him with something heavy, they says it helps :suspect:
It just agreeds that you would need to have Norton, which gives false positive on it's own.

Now, has anyone reported these to be false alerts of legit program that can sometimes be interpreted as a Trojan cause the re-compilation process makes them to have a code simular to the actual tread? I am asking this from CamDawg :D , Grim Squeaker, theacefes, and perhaps berelinde. As there is this link.

Looking at the mods in question, I believe I also received a Trojan warning from one of Norton's undead tendrils upon one of my installations of Kivan.

Someone was distressed about it here: http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=18717 , and I seem to recall a far more panicked thread somewhere else about a perceived Trojan. Does anyone know if the viruses Norton is warning about are a result of an automatic computer-driven scan, or due to user reports being investigated?

Does anyone know if the viruses Norton is warning about are a result of an automatic computer-driven scan, or due to user reports being investigated?
They're most probably the antivir's heuristics firing off :laugh: Not based on the definitions that check for viruses, but they check for virus-like code

And apparently, only the Kivan and Tashia mods have this problem across many antivirs :suspect:

Does anyone know if the viruses Norton is warning about are a result of an automatic computer-driven scan, or due to user reports being investigated?
All the Anti-virus programs work the same way, it takes a portion of the code and compares it to an existing and conformed virus code in the set file extension, and if the result is true, the program does what it was set to be do... in this case delete the file.

Yeah, Avast doesn't pick them up as viruses either (but an old update did ... so I sent them over for testing. And the next update, they were safe to remove from quarantine :suspect: Not the best success story of the world, but it's a start ???)

Basically, if you get a warning, always try to keep the file and don't let the antivir delete them. Once they're in quarantine (or whatever your antivir calls it), send them for verification by the company and they'll fix it in the next definitions update :D

EDIT: Anyone else getting problems visiting SHS?? :laugh:

Maybe this is behind some of the bugs I initially experienced with Kivan; I always assumed it was other mods encroaching on the coding's territory, but maybe it was just in the days before I declared war on Norton.

Yeah, SHS has also been down for me all day.

Archived