Near Infinity updated

Smoketest

It's been a long time so I'm announcing this here in the event people stopped checking for updates.

Near Infinity v1.33 beta 1 is now available for download. (Click the download link for the Current Beta version.) The website isn't updated but the file is. It's just over 1mb in size now.

Furthermore, this version has been built on the new version of Java that was recently released, so you'll need to update. Go here and click to download J2SE 5.0 JRE. There are two versions for Windows, an online version and an offline version. The offline version you download as a self-extracting EXE for install whenever you feel like it. The online version functions like Windows Update in that it downloads and installs the files while you're online. The download is about 15mb in size.

There are a few bug fixes, and updates from information found in the IESDP and the IESDP forum. More updates are on the way. Jon Olav hasn't posted a list of changes yet, so if there was something you wanted updated, you'll have to look for it. If it's not there, e-mail him. He's back in action again.

Same with me. I use both, most of the tasks are done with DLTCEP but I use NI for a few ones (mainly for those which may be buggy in DLTCEP).

NI hasn't had an update for quite a long time, glad to see it has been updated -- thus I suppose it contains severe changes (not tried it yet though).

Although I use DLTCEP for modding, I keep my NI up-to-date; it has it's own features and usefullness.

Agreed. NI has helped me make more IE-related discoveries than any other tool (except perhaps my default hex editor). DLTCEP has a few nice features, but there's no way I'll use it for research of unknown data.

...thus I suppose it contains severe changes...

Not really. Jon Olav was busy with another programming project, and his ongoing PhD work, so NI hasn't been worked on until just recently. Here's a list of what I know got changed:

- Compiled with the new version of Java. Won't run on older versions.

- Minor bugfixes. (Jon Olav didn't specify which bugs.)

- Updates to ARE, EFF, SPL, GAM and WMP files.

- Updates to a few BG1 Effect Opcodes, with the rest coming later.

There could be more, but he hasn't started fishing through all the e-mail he's received since the last update. Since it's been so long, he suggests that if you think a particular fix/feature should be a priority, e-mail him again. He's not going to waste time on things people might no longer care about.

The new version gives this output when running on Linux:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: infinity/NearInfinity (Unsupported major.minor version 49.0)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass0(Native Method)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:502)

at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:123)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:250)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:54)

at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:193)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:186)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:299)

at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:265)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:255)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:315)

The one from Jan 14 runs well. The size difference between the old and new version is significant. Was it made with a different environment?

Furthermore, this version has been built on the new version of Java that was recently released, so you'll need to update. Go here and click to download J2SE 5.0 JRE. There are two versions for Windows, an online version and an offline version. The offline version you download as a self-extracting EXE for install whenever you feel like it. The online version functions like Windows Update in that it downloads and installs the files while you're online. The download is about 15mb in size.

-Echon

-Echon

Oh, hell, i see. Luckily i use the java runtime only for ni and i'm on broadband :blush: So, an upgrade is relatively easy. I hope there is a Linux version too.

The link is here.

It's a bug. The best recourse is to open the Debug window in NI, save the contents, then attach them to an e-mail to Jon Olav telling him what you did to generate the error.

No need to do that for this error, as I've already sent him the debug log for trying to open a STO file. We'll have to wait for the next beta. (Beta 3 also has this error.) According to what I could read in the log, NI crashed while reading the Items Purchased structures.

NI Beta 4 is out.

- Fixed the bug that prevented opening of .STO files.

- Added a dropdown selection list of compass values for orientation variables in ARE Actor and Entrance structures.

Those are the things I'm aware of. If you requested something recently it might also be there.

Archived