Care to see Atlantis?

Bri

A book I read recently suggested Plato's tales of Atlantis may have been inspired by the descruction of the Minoan civilisation after a possible massive volcanic eruption around 1360BC. The same one could have been responsible for the biblical Plagues of Egypt and parting of the Red Sea.

A book I read recently suggested Plato's tales of Atlantis may have been inspired by the descruction of the Minoan civilisation after a possible massive volcanic eruption around 1360BC. The same one could have been responsible for the biblical Plagues of Egypt and parting of the Red Sea.

saw a tv special that said that. also one that claimed it to be Cuba, but that didn't seem as believable.

The sad thing?  There will always be someone stupid enough to fall for such a thing...

I suppose someone having eight million USD to piss away must be doing something right. :rolleyes:

Yeah, like have rich parents.

There's no reason Plato's story had to be based on anything real. His story about the cave wasn't based on a real cave. He liked to make up stories for the purposes of analogy, and he never claimed to be a historian. :D

The sad thing?  There will always be someone stupid enough to fall for such a thing...

I suppose someone having eight million USD to piss away must be doing something right. :D

Yeah, like have rich parents.

"Mother, Father, I ask you give me eight million dollars. Jerry Querrard and I are going to drop by Atlantis en route to Disneyworld. Should you need me simply page the moon." :rolleyes:

I think Plato said he based his account of Atlantis on that of a Roman historian, whose name escapes me, something like Montheus? I'll see if I can find it out later. :D

Rome didn't exist yet as such :rolleyes:. Plato has his character call it "a story derived from ancient tradition". It further goes, "Now Solon--as indeed he often says himself in his poems--was a relative and very dear friend of our great-grandfather Dropides; and Dropides told our grandfather Critias as the old man himself, in turn, related to us." The whole thing is here:

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext...;loc=Tim.%2020e

It's not exactly the most exciting reading material. The story of the island that Athens saved Egypt from really starts here:

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext...;loc=Tim.%2024e

Plato and other Greek philosophers wrote parables in their "dialogues" to illustrate moral points. They didn't mean for people to take them as the real, factual truth; rather, they were looking for a "deeper" truth. In this case, the "deeper" truth is that Athens rocks hard. Heck, Plato didn't believe the real world mattered anyway, so facts were basically unimportant to him.

Archived