IR v3 Feedback

Demivrgvs

I have a small suggestion.

As you know, a character can obtain additional THAC0 bonus when he/she hides in shadows.

But currently this THAC0 bonus is only provided to melee weapons (I didn't check all of melee weapons though... it may be given to weapons that can backstab only).

Since IR adds Ranged Sneak Attack concept I think it is reasonable to give the THAC0 bonus to ranged weapons, too. But it might not be able to implement due to the engine limitation...

I hope this is the right place to suggest some item changes.

1. Long Bow of Marksmanship (BG1) has the same damage as a Composite Long Bow + 1 and gives one extra bonus to THAC0 compared to CLB + 1. I think the strength requirement for it is way too low. (Currently 6). I suggest tweaking it to be a proper Composite Long Bow with the same strength requirement as all other CLBs and upping the damage bonus to + 5 to reflect this change.

2. I read that you are looking for unique ability for the Gauntlets of Dexterity. Since the description says they were brought West by Kara-Tur Marital artists, it could get the 'Stunning-Blow' monk ability once per day.

I want to add some more about some BG1 items.

Necklace of Missiles

This may be unique necklace but I really don't like this wand-like feature. This fireball ability should be replaced to x per day ability. And some equipped abilities need to be added.

Revenant's Dagger

This is +2 dagger for the quest. This is not essential but we may consider to replace it to more unique thing. What do you think about it?

In addition, I think some unique weapons need to be imported to BG1 from BG2. Because any unique magical versions of Mace, Katana. etc. don't exist in BG1 part players hardly select that weapons as their first weapon. At least one magical version should be added in BG1 part imo.

I hope this is the right place to suggest some item changes.
Yes it is. Sorry if I took so long to reply.

Long Bow of Marksmanship

Long Bow of Marksmanship (BG1) has the same damage as a Composite Long Bow + 1 and gives one extra bonus to THAC0 compared to CLB + 1. I think the strength requirement for it is way too low. (Currently 6). I suggest tweaking it to be a proper Composite Long Bow with the same strength requirement as all other CLBs and upping the damage bonus to + 5 to reflect this change.
So, if I understood correctly the problem is that this unique bow outshines the "common" CLB +1, right? I'm somewhat sympathetic but that's going to happen with each and every magical bow with a higher enchantment lvl. Even a short bow can match or surpass a Composite Long Bow (both in terms of thac0 and damage) if the former is heavily more enchanted. Furthermore, LBoM is the only unique long bow within BG1, I don't think it's a problem if it outshine all other bows in the game. Am I wrong?

Gauntlets of Dexterity

I read that you are looking for unique ability for the Gauntlets of Dexterity. Since the description says they were brought West by Kara-Tur Marital artists, it could get the 'Stunning-Blow' monk ability once per day.
I stopped looking for it because it seemed players considered the item fine as it is (back then I suggested a sort of free Ambidexterity). The problem with your suggestion is that it suggests the item should be monk-only, unless you mean the wielder can use monk's stunning fist ability with any type of weapon. That being said, I'm not sure "high dexterity" suggests something like a stunning effect, I'd say stunning is more a matter of raw strength, don't you think?

Necklace of Missiles

This may be unique necklace but I really don't like this wand-like feature. This fireball ability should be replaced to x per day ability. And some equipped abilities need to be added.
I share your dislike, but other than the absurdly common fire resistance I couldn't find anything fitting either its vanilla's concpet or the current new lore. Any suggestion?

Revenant's Dagger

This is +2 dagger for the quest. This is not essential but we may consider to replace it to more unique thing. What do you think about it?
Forgive my ignorance, but right now I don't remember which dagger is this one. I'll look into it.

BG1 underepresented items

In addition, I think some unique weapons need to be imported to BG1 from BG2. Because any unique magical versions of Mace, Katana. etc. don't exist in BG1 part players hardly select that weapons as their first weapon. At least one magical version should be added in BG1 part imo.
We obviously second this. Ardanis is playing BG1 again recently, after that he'll have a better perspective to handle this matter. ;)

Can I request a normal club to be added in either one of the shops in Waukeens or in Copper Coronet?
Sure you can, I don't have a detailed list of what Ardanis did for all stores thus I'll let him judge this request. ;)

I'm still thinking about Necklace of Misslies. I'll post when I have good idea.

BTW, BG1 NPC project mod added several items, and especially Lord Foreshadow's ring (I don't remember the correct name) fixes charisma to 18 even though IR is installed after BG1 NPC. Does not IR detect this item?

About revenant's dagger:

The dagger's full name is "Heart of the Golem +2" (DAGG03), and it is plain +2 dagger.

There is already +2 dagger so I think it would be better to revise something else.

And, about Necklace of Missiles:

The description of item is as below.

When Szass Tam was a living mage, he faced a competitor who was famous for his skill at evocation. Not wanting to be outdone by someone from another school of magic, Szass Tam came prepared to the duel. He threw twelve fireballs in a row, much to the consternation of his opponent, who came ready to face the powers of a necromancer. When the Necklace of Fireballs was used up, Tam began to actually cast his own spells, while his opponent had already used most of his up.

Honestly, if the descrption means that this Necklace is originated from Szass Tam who is the one of the most famous powerful mage, this item should not be able to be found in BG1 part. :p (Such powerful item in BG1?)

So... the background of this item also be changed with the ability imo. But keeping the fireball ability is not so bad. If this item is for mage then we may consider it to be usable mage only and add +1 intelligence bonus.

About revenant's dagger:

The dagger's full name is "Heart of the Golem +2" (DAGG03), and it is plain +2 dagger.

There is already +2 dagger so I think it would be better to revise something else.

And, about Necklace of Missiles:

The description of item is as below.

When Szass Tam was a living mage, he faced a competitor who was famous for his skill at evocation. Not wanting to be outdone by someone from another school of magic, Szass Tam came prepared to the duel. He threw twelve fireballs in a row, much to the consternation of his opponent, who came ready to face the powers of a necromancer. When the Necklace of Fireballs was used up, Tam began to actually cast his own spells, while his opponent had already used most of his up.

Honestly, if the descrption means that this Necklace is originated from Szass Tam who is the one of the most famous powerful mage, this item should not be able to be found in BG1 part. :p (Such powerful item in BG1?)

So... the background of this item also be changed with the ability imo. But keeping the fireball ability is not so bad. If this item is for mage then we may consider it to be usable mage only and add +1 intelligence bonus.

With Potion revision and the lack of other way of raising int I find leania's idea good.

I'll add the item lists that weren't revised by IR currently.

The Horn of Kazgaroth (BG1 only, MISC73), The Claw of Kazgaroth (BG1 only, MISC72)

Though these items give unique features (many advantages of saving throws/a little but high rate disadvantages of a saving throws), but I think these would be better to revise according to the background of Kazgaroth (http://creaturecatal...CreatureID=1302). What do you think about these?

Durlag's Goblet (BG1 only, MISC98)

Several items in BG have strange/wrong description intentionally, and this is the one of those. The description may need to be revised correctly. In addition, I think it would be better to change to "x per day" item like figurines from potion (non-chargable).

Heart of Golem +2 (BG1 only, DAGG03)

The description of this item is as below:

There are no records of this weapon's creator: nevertheless, its existence can be traced back among thieves and mrderers to the time before Dalereckoning. Its blackened blade was apprently forged from the arcane metals of an iron golem, giving the weapon an appearance as dark as its history.

I don't have any idea for this yet... Sorry.

Moon Dog Figurine (MISC7T), Golem Manuals (Stone Golem Manual (TOME03), Juggernaut Golem Manual (TOME04), Golem Manual (TOME01), Clay Golem Manual (TOME02)), Shakti Figurine (FIGURE01)

These are something like "creature-summoning items". The summoned creatures' stats may be adjusted as you did at several figurines. And since you adds the stats descriptions to each figurines the Efreeti Bottle also may need to be added that.

Necklace of Missiles (BG1 only, AMUL01)

I already mentioned about it.

Dart +5 (STARDART)

There are only 4 darts (even 3 enchantment darts) and the highest enchantment is +3. So 1 more dart would be welcome. :D

Aegis-Fang +3 (AEGIS2)

Drizzt's two swords were revised. Why not Wulfgar's?

Full Plate Mail +1 (BG1 only, PLAT05)

As far as I know there are two Full Plate Mail +1, the one is general one, and the second one is Tamoko's black plate mail. This is the latter one I guess. Could we revise it to more unique thing?

Moonblade (BG1 only, SW1H13)

This is the BG1 item for NPC (Xan). Since the weapon proficiency system was different between BG1 and BG2 this item has 1D8 now even though this is categorized as Dagger. Mages can only use dagger in swords so this may need to be revised a little (at least the dice should be reduced to 1D6 imo like Longtooth +2).

Poisoned Throwing Dagger (DAGG16)

This envenomed ability is too powerful imo (2 points of damage each second for 2rounds) comparing with Dagger of Venom +2. And even though this throwing dagger is not magical one, it has +1 THAC0 bonus. Mmm...

Malla's Soul Stone (AMSOUL01)

I think this alignment restriction (not usable by good-aligned characters) and the equipped abilities (Immunity to posion & Maximum HP +10) are unmatched. The equipped abilities may need to change to more 'evil' things.

And some suggestions here.

Algernon's Cloak (CLCK08)

The original Charm Person ability should be restored as 1 per day ability imo. Now this is a mere copy of the Nymph Cloak as you mentioned.

Embarl's Dagger (MISC4U)

Frankly speaking, this is little issue so you can ignore about this (this is the item for quest only). The problem is that this dagger has 1D6 instead of 1D4 though this is Dagger.

Lastly, I'd like to request that Bards are allowed wearing robes or spell casting wearing light armors, and Druids can use Bows if possible when you have time. :p

I'll keep writing down.

I would not want to see the Horn of Kazgaroth and especially the Ring of Kazgaroth to be any different than they are originally in the game. Those two are special items that are uinque in their concept.

I am not so fond of seeing changes in the Heart of Golem either. The fact that in the whole BG1 there are two daggers+2 does not really motivate changing one of them for overrepresentation.

Long Bow of Marksmanship

So, if I understood correctly the problem is that this unique bow outshines the "common" CLB +1, right? I'm somewhat sympathetic but that's going to happen with each and every magical bow with a higher enchantment lvl. Even a short bow can match or surpass a Composite Long Bow (both in terms of thac0 and damage) if the former is heavily more enchanted. Furthermore, LBoM is the only unique long bow within BG1, I don't think it's a problem if it outshine all other bows in the game. Am I wrong?

The concern isn't that it's outshining the CLB + 1. it's that since it is 'only' a long bow, Bards can use it, Coran with his 15 strength can use it, so can Khalid. It is kinda nuts that basically any old dude with 6 strength can pick this thing up and suddenly turn into Kivan 2.0. (Well, not exactly Kivan 2.0, but I hope you see where I am coming from on this matter :))

Revenant's Dagger

Heart of Golem +2 (BG1 only, DAGG03)

The description of this item is as below:

There are no records of this weapon's creator: nevertheless, its existence can be traced back among thieves and mrderers to the time before Dalereckoning. Its blackened blade was apprently forged from the arcane metals of an iron golem, giving the weapon an appearance as dark as its history.

This dagger could give +1 to strength. (Came from an Iron Golem which usually have 24 strength or summat). But the dagger's fine as it is in my opinion. Though I wouldn't mind seeing it beefed up as the undead dude we need to kill to keep it is not a pushover.

BG1 underepresented items

Can second this wholeheartedly.

Full Plate Mail +1 (BG1 only, PLAT05)

I found two full plate mails + 1 in Durlag's Tower. (Weren't easy to win, had to blow the chess board pieces to smithereens before I got them.) So, the FPM + 1 is uncommon, but not unattainably so on the Sword Coast. (Could be argued, they were sold out due to Iron Crisis and only the versions bought long ago for equipping Durlag's Tower defences are currently found out of Nobles' hands). Tamoko's can stay unmodified as there's really no justification for changing it one way or another.

I would like to see it get a generic description, though. Feels odd to have so many FPM + 1 stolen off the same guy. Dude needs to hire better security. :p

Robe of Battlemage

Currently grants +10 hp. I would change that to +20% physical resistance for the following reasons:

1) Unlike HP bonus, resistance does indirectly improve the concentration check.

2) HP bonus is universal, while it's other bonuses - AC and thaco - suggest a physically oriented character. Against spells there is Robe of Weave.

3) For arcane spellcasters phys res is nowhere as life prolonging as it is for melee tank with a load of hit points.

Alternatively - +10% phys res and crit immunity.

Wands

I would increase INT requirement by one, to match 3E's "10 + spell level" formula. Also, I'd restrict Wand of Magic Missiles from non-wizards. I am now was 7th level, and everyone in party can use a wand - to a very devastating effect, when combined in a volley.

Necklace of Missiles

This is really just a wand worn on one's neck. Perhaps 1/day Fireball, or 3/day if you feel one charge is not enough. For the equipped bonus - +2 saves vs breath, maybe. Or immunity to Fireballs.

Antidote

Add short-timed immunity to poison. You've already declined the idea in the past, but I feel compelled to try convincing you again. This is a very specialized potion, only useful against several select types of opponents, all of whom tend to poison on every attack, stacking the effect. Fighting off a horde of spiders may mean PC will be poisoned several times during the encounter, and I'm not sure it is both convenient and sensible to guzzle on three bottles, when a single one would do the same - we just didn't want to wait for the poison from two earlier bites to develop too strong.

One turn of immunity to poison opcode is more than enough, if you ask me.

Night's Embrace

Reduce the stealth bonus to +20%. This ring is available early on in BG1, and other thieving rings all have +20%.

Boots of Stealth

Again, reduce the bonus to +20%. Two pairs are accessible early, and even if we remove the second, the other one will, together with Night's Embrace, provide a huge +80% bonus for very little trouble. I have made a multi fighter/assassin - thought he'd starve on skill points, - but with these two items and the initial +40% from the investment made upon generation he needs no more to hide well in shadowed areas!

Cloak of Displacement

May I request the removal of blur state? Annoying as hell, it is.

Ankheg Plate Mail +2

For a DEX fighter it is the best armor in BG1, better than Fullplate +1. Unlike the latter, however, Ankheg is available almost from the start - even if we ignore the hidden cache in Nashkel (I've got a plan how to deal nicely with such places), I still can get it normally from Taerom soon enough.

In BG2 it is also an excellent choice for Jaheira, if party visits Windspear Hills early. All in all, reduce the enchantment by 1.

The 25% acid resistance is pretty useless, I'd make it 50%, so that it will matter at least sometimes. Also for consistency with dragon armor.

Ring of Energy

Maybe change the custom Energy Blast to Magic Missiles?

Shield Amulet

Imo +2 AC is too brutal. Even if it is only +1, that still stacks with Rings of Protection.

Neb's Nasty Cutter

It is very easy to obtain for free, yet it acts as a Dagger of Venom with Keen ability. I would make it +1.

Potion of Restoration

Too cheap, to the point that in a temple I would rather buy it instead of normal Restoration spell/scroll. 500 gp, or so.

Ring of Djinni Summoming

As discussed earlier, +1 WIS would be perfect for it.

Bolts of Lightning +2

Price should be increased to 50 gp or even more. Very expensive, but devastatingly powerful ammunition.

Bullets of Smiting +3

They cost 35 gp per bullet, imo too low for a +3 bullet with unavoidable 2d3 damage. Acid Arrows and Sunstone Bullets cost 40 gp, doing an equal amount of damage but being only +2 ench.

Sunstone Bullets +2

Their ability is called Sunscorch, perhaps it should also deal extra damage to undead? IIRC in vanilla they were +4, maybe +1/+3 vs undead?

Heart of Golem +2

There are two of copies of it in BG1. If we replace Marek's (?) one with a plain Dagger +2, what would be the purpose of having a +2 specimen with unique description, but no unique abilities?

Also, HotG can be obtain early in game, at the point where a +1 item with a special ability would be more consistent than a plain +2. Come to think of it, Dagger of Venom was made +2 (which is fine imo), so it leaves no special +1 dagger.

+1 STR seems fine to me.

Necklace of Missiles

This is really just a wand worn on one's neck. Perhaps 1/day Fireball, or 3/day if you feel one charge is not enough. For the equipped bonus - +2 saves vs breath, maybe. Or immunity to Fireballs.

2/day fireball + immunity to fireball are good for this necklace imo.

Antidote

Add short-timed immunity to poison.

One turn of immunity to poison opcode is more than enough, if you ask me.

That's good idea.

Night's Embrace

Reduce the stealth bonus to +20%. This ring is available early on in BG1, and other thieving rings all have +20%.

Boots of Stealth

Again, reduce the bonus to +20%. Two pairs are accessible early, and even if we remove the second, the other one will, together with Night's Embrace, provide a huge +80% bonus for very little trouble. I have made a multi fighter/assassin - thought he'd starve on skill points, - but with these two items and the initial +40% from the investment made upon generation he needs no more to hide well in shadowed areas!

+20% is too low imo. Since +1 DEX generally provides +25% thieving abilities (+5% except detect illusion) + AC bonus + THAC0 bonus of ranged weapons, at least +30% bonus looks fair for those items.

Shield Amulet

Imo +2 AC is too brutal. Even if it is only +1, that still stacks with Rings of Protection.

If the +2 AC bonus should be reduced to +1, the x/day cast shield spell need be added imo.

Heart of Golem +2

+1 STR seems fine to me.

I agree with this.

Here are weapon lists that don't provide any unique magical type in BG1 as far as I know. At least unique one of each weapon need to be added in BG1 imo.

1. Mace

2. Dart

3. Flail

4. Katana

5. Scimitar (except Drizzt's weapon)

Since Darts have only 1 unique magical weapon that has returning ability, it would be really hard to be added. Mmm... We might just be satisfied with the RR's one. ;)

And I have some opinion about following weapons.

Club

Though BGT (maybe) replaces one club that can be found at to The Root of the Problem +3, it is too powerful in BG1 and even the item's location doesn't make sense according to its BG2 background. So it would be better to be replaced to another weapon (Blackblood +2 or Gnasher +2?) imo.

Archived