Specific.ids

Echon

I had not looked at the BG2 specific.ids (it is the only one which explains its use). Still, I see no information about what these two values indicate or how they are set (other than the action):

101 MAGIC

102 NO_MAGIC

-Echon

It would probably be worth noting that effects #72 and #82 can change/set this value, as well as ChangeAIScript("blah",SPECIFICS). As for those two values - the only place I can find a reference to NO_MAGIC in the game is in TESTC.BCS:

IF
See([0.0.0.0.NO_MAGIC])
THEN
RESPONSE #100
 Attack(LastSeenBy(Myself))
END

TESTC1.BCS and TESTC2.BCS are the only scripts I can find a reference to MAGIC as a value. Based on that, I'd say they mean absolutely zilch.

EDIT: Just checked and none of these scripts are linked to any cre files, nor are there any scripts that assign this script to a cre. I'd say you could pretty safely use those values for whatever you want.

EDIT again: Just thought I would clarify the differences between effects #72 and #82. #72 changes the specifics value directly (if param 2 is set to 4), but #82 changes the value to a script (if param 2 is set to 2). I don't know if it's possible to use #82 to set it to a value in specific.ids (not sure why anyone would want to, either), but it will overwrite any value in that slot with a script name. The same goes for the scripting actions ChangeSpecifics() and ChangeAIScript().

Script

At least according to this reference I found in Goran Rimen's scripting tutorial.

SPECIFICS

Specifics holds the identification for special NPC’s

The IDS file used is Specific.ids, which you can find in the ScriptCompiler directory.

The only use I found so far is following:

See(NearestEnemyOfType([0.0.YANTI.0.NO_MAGIC]))

This will identify a Yanti mage.

Note. I wonder way Bioware used NO_MAGIC to identify a mage? :thumbsup:)

Cirerrek, you are correct about the yuan-ti mage. Both ICYUAN03.CRE and ICYUAN05.CRE (Yuan-ti Prince) have NO_MAGIC. However there are no references to those cre files in any area, script, dialog, etc in BG2. My guess would be they are leftover from IWD2 (wasn't that made before BG2?), based on the naming scheme.

Guest Guest

In the SPECIFICS.IDS you will find values, that are assigned to the Creature Files at offset 0x274.

It can be very usefull, as you are able to right your own SPCIFICS.IDS by increasing it. Through this value you can write specific commands for Groups in scripts - much more complex, as it can be done through only SHOUT-Action.

Here is a little example, what I have written in my SPECIFIC.IDS from the existing Specifics to not use them by my own:

97 GROUP AT GRAVE IN AREA 1800

98 HENDAKS GROUP

99 MELISSAN - SLAVES IN PLANAR PRISON

100 DEMOGORGON GUARDS

101 MAGIC

102 NO_MAGIC

105 ACTOR GROUP WITH RAELIS

110 ROENALS GUARDS

111 SAMIA AND FRIENDS

They all will use now with this text in the related .BCS - files, where they may be used.

This is the reason that you should NOT use the characters: ", ( , ) and ,

The Script will read them as normal and fail. (My own experience, but you can believe me :) )

Roana

Archived