Version 28 of Sword Coast Stratagems released

DavidW

Hm... the 'Bugs not fixed' list includes some doozies... Adamantite golem spawning out of thin air in front of you?!!? Still might consider an earlier version of SCS2 after seeing that!

He won't spawn if you kill him before.

And earlier versions don't work with BG2:EE, so you are going to have problems regardless. These fixes are pretty considerable. The mind flayer, Sendai and mage/priest issues in and of themselves are huge improvements that you notice fairly quickly.

I don't have EE (nor do I plan on ever buying it) so that's irrelevant.

While it's great that someone has been working on a considerable number of fixes, what I'd prefer is a more reliable version that doesn't introduce new and rather signficant bugs on the scale of some of the ones I've read about (besides the golem spawning out of thin air) in the first place.

Is SCS2 21 generally considered the most recent and problem free version? What about SCS (for bgt/bgtutu)?

Hm... it looks like the older versions are no longer available. Ah well, that's that I guess. :(

Hm... it looks like the older versions are no longer available. Ah well, that's that I guess. :(

They are here at least, search for the "Previous Versions" text if you are blind... and es, you need to push the red arrow that shows up when you hover around the .exe text. :D

I would still recommend the use of the latest with the fixes that are here in the forum.

While it's great that someone has been working on a considerable number of fixes, what I'd prefer is a more reliable version that doesn't introduce new and rather signficant bugs on the scale of some of the ones I've read about (besides the golem spawning out of thin air) in the first place

There are a number of bugs in the previous versions too and significant improvements with the new version. But to each their own, disagreeing with people about their suggestions after you ask them for them is typical of the new wave of people who want to mod.

Is SCS2 21 generally considered the most recent and problem free version? What about SCS (for bgt/bgtutu)?

for non EE BG2. Yes.

There are still Bugs and Issues about v28. Some Improvements are completly cut out (e.g. Faldorn and the Demonlord) and other Improvements are strangely changed (e.g. HP boost for Demons. Demogorgon gets 160 HP instead of 400 in v21) but that may be intended.

unfortunately i have no time to support Mad Mate with new Bugs for now. :)
@Mad Mate
Did u include that Dw#licim.spl Bugfix? (Liches are immune to Breach because dw#licim.spl is cloned from lich.itm before the scs changes to lich.itm are applied.)

While it's great that someone has been working on a considerable number of fixes, what I'd prefer is a more reliable version that doesn't introduce new and rather signficant bugs on the scale of some of the ones I've read about (besides the golem spawning out of thin air) in the first place

There are a number of bugs in the previous versions too and significant improvements with the new version. But to each their own, disagreeing with people about their suggestions after you ask them for them is typical of the new wave of people who want to mod.

Er... what?

Anyhoo, appreciate the suggestions regardless; I'm still up in the air about this.

So not being used to how much tougher SCS mages are, I got it in my head to pick on poor Firebead Elvenhair; Kivan pegged him with an acid arrow, whereupon he promptly vanished--see, he'd cast Improved Invisibility along with his Stoneskin and the like this morning. (He then proceeded to kill my whole party, which I suppose is what I get for meddling in the affairs of wizards. Next time, Potions of Fire Resistance.)

Which seems a little silly, since five minutes ago I'd been talking to him, which would have been a very different conversation if he'd been invisible.

I understand that there's probably no way to produce the appropriate visual effects for long-term spells on neutral NPC mages (so no gray NPCs to indicate Stoneskin, etc.), but is it possible to take spells like Invisibility/Improved Invisibility off the pre-buff list entirely, since if every NPC mage was always running around invisible it seriously impair their ability to go about their daily lives? Or, even better, to treat them as short-term buffs despite their long durations, so that it can be restricted to mages created in the party's sight?

IIRC there is a console option to show neutral mages' prebuffs; check the readme. (I stopped showing them by default early in SCS's history because people complained that all neutral mages were grey.

Also IIRC, initially-neutral mages aren't supposed to use Invisibility (and Improved Invisibility is short duration so should only be used via prebuff options 1-2. So I'm not sure what's going on there. Are you sure he didn't fire off a Minor Sequencer?

This seems to be part of a larger issue I'm having with restriction of short-duration spells not actually restricting short-duration spells; I just hit the Cloakwood mines and everyone there kept having pre-cast Minor Globe of Invulnerability, which in addition to making the fights *much* tougher seems to indicate some snag in my SCS install. I've got a fairly long list of other mods running, so I suspect this is a compatibility issue as opposed to a bug in SCS itself. (Setting SCS so that casters never pre-cast short duration buffs works fine.)

Other installed mods:

• Baldur's Gate Trilogy
  • TobEX
  • Ascension
  • BG2 Fix Pack
  • BGT Tweak Pack
  • BG2 Tweak Pack
  • BG1 Unfinished Business
  • BG2 Unfinished Business
  • Wes Weimer's Item Upgrade Mod
  • This multiclass kit mod

No idea what order I installed those in, since it was ages ago.

DavidW,

I have two questions.

1) I am not sure I understood how the Improved Deployment of Party Assassins component changed since v24 on a BGT game. I have BGT Tweaks' Altered Spawning component installed (Option 3: Deactivate BGT-WeiDU spawns: spawns appear once). How does that affect SCS's take on the deployment of the assassins?

2) I find the thac0_tolerance to be a very nice addition to stratagems,ini but I think it's pretty unintuitive (if I even have understood how it works). The word tolerance associated with a zero makes me think that SCS won't tolerate any illegal thac0 values and will correct them all. The readme reports instead that to accomplish that, the value must be set to 99 (which makes me think instead that SCS would not care at all about illegal thac0s). How does it work?

Thanks!

I just hit the Cloakwood mines and everyone there kept having pre-cast Minor Globe of Invulnerability, which in addition to making the fights *much* tougher seems to indicate some snag in my SCS install.

You do know that that's how SCS mages work with pre-buff? If you see something like

Rezdan - Minor Globe of Invulnerability (cast previously)

Rezdan - Improved Invisibility (cast previously)

Rezdan- etc.etc. a bunch of spells

than it's actually working fine.

DavidW,

I have two questions.

1) I am not sure I understood how the Improved Deployment of Party Assassins component changed since v24 on a BGT game. I have BGT Tweaks' Altered Spawning component installed (Option 3: Deactivate BGT-WeiDU spawns: spawns appear once). How does that affect SCS's take on the deployment of the assassins?

No idea, sorry.

2) I find the thac0_tolerance to be a very nice addition to stratagems,ini but I think it's pretty unintuitive (if I even have understood how it works). The word tolerance associated with a zero makes me think that SCS won't tolerate any illegal thac0 values and will correct them all. The readme reports instead that to accomplish that, the value must be set to 99 (which makes me think instead that SCS would not care at all about illegal thac0s). How does it work?

If the creature's THAC0 is within THAC0_tolerance of its correct value, it's corrected. If not, it's left alone. Some creatures (e.g., ToB end-boss) have THAC0s that are wildly lower than their class would suggest and this is clearly intentional. So if you set it to 0, nothing is changed. Set it to 99 and everything will be in the tolerance range, and so corrected. (Don't do this.)

Archived