My mods are up for adoption.

the bigg

Hello all,

it has recently been brought to my attention that several of my mods have been waiting for 2+ years for somebody to perform trivial fixes (E.G. downloading and packaging the latest version from git, or changing a couple of lines to account for BG2EE).

As such, I'd like to state the following (and ask forum administrators to act accordingly):

• In addition to any terms that are stated in the readme, all of my mods are also available under the GPL v3 license (you are free to choose between the readme terms and the GPL v3 terms).
    As a consequence of that, anybody is free to modify any of my mods and upload their changes to their own server (either as a diff or as a stand-alone package).
  • Anybody who expresses such an interest and has already made reasonable contributions to the IE modding scene is to be granted the necessary privileges to update the 'official' package for any of my mods. Anybody doing so is free both to perform technical and content changes (the latter within reason).

By "Reasonable contributions to the IE modding scene" I mean:

• Has published at least one "average" mod/tool/knowledge base (not an one-day NPC) AND at least one of:
  • Has published something (mod, tool, knowledge base, ...) that is pivotal to the current modding scene (ex. Fixpack, SCS, TobEx, WeiDU, BWS, BWP, BiG World FAQ).
  • OR Semi-regularly contributes outside of its own personal projects (either by posting informative threads/replies or by contributing code).
  • OR Has published several "average" mods.

By published I mean:

• the work should be available for download and reasonably feature-full and bug-free
  • the person should be author or co-author (not a simple contributor)

When in doubt, assume permission is granted.

I leave the definition of "[content changes] within reason" intentionally vague.

Sincerely,
Valerio

Wouldn't BWS be better off pulling directly from github anyways?

Ofc it would be better. And I want to see download from github support soon to support this wonderful solution for developing and maitaining mods. Just wait a litte bit.

P.S. Official mod archive/download links still should be updated. I don't remember if the IPB.Downloads can redirect "Download" button to link.

You won't be seeing PPG/G3/SHS mods on github without the site administrators' approval, I suspect.

Well, dah, that's the wrong approach, and you know it if you think on it a bit... but the BWS itself can download it's mods from where ever it likes, the good thing about the suggestion is that as the github has the very latest version of the Widescreen mod, it's the correct place to download it from... but for any other mod, there's where the line needs to be drawn ... there's no official github page for many of them, and making one for each is a very bad idea unless it's made by the coder of the mod... as else it's not legal in one form or another, and it removes interest from it.

You won't be seeing PPG/G3/SHS mods on github without the site administrators' approval, I suspect.

My post has nothing to do with copyright! It's about new code/feature that will allows for proper download and extraction of github's "master" branch link, since they always have one additional directory in it. Nothing more. Please stop searching for "copyright infringement" everywhere.

Well, dah, that's the wrong approach, and you know it if you think on it a bit... but the BWS itself can download it's mods from where ever it likes, the good thing about the suggestion is that as the github has the very latest version of the Widescreen mod, it's the correct place to download it from...

Exactly. I want to appreciate aqrit work by using github link - in this way he (and any other contributor) will be able to make adjustments on a regular basis without the need to upgrade the entire mod archive, repack it and reupload it to G3 site. Even it this was "one time commit" it's still worth it for other mods that are already on gihtub.

Anyway, thank you aqrit for this essential update.

Archived