Unearthed Arcana presents Scales of Balance: a post-hac tweak pack

On 8/2/2023 at 5:59 PM, GawainBS said:

wondering if it is possible to edit the files so that unkitted, basic Bards would also be able to get up to three pips in weapons/two in styles.

Should not be a problem. Can just edit WEAPPROF.2da, or before installing edit that file in scales_of_balance/profs/. I think. 

Not sure what other mods you have installed or what kind of sorcerer that is, but that spell should not be applied. You need to find your kit ability file in column 5 of KITLIST.2da, then check for an “XTRA_SPLS” row in that .2da file. It should be D5_ABSP3, not D5_ABSP1. (ABSP1 is what triggers the D5INT effects; sorcerers should be instead affected by D5CHA effects which are triggered by ABSP3.) And even that’s wrong, ABSP1 is designed to not affect sorcerers. So there are one or more things going wrong, but I can’t tell what. 

Edited by subtledoctor

I want to confirm that a few things I'm seeing are intended. Fresh install on BGEE:

-After installing every component up to and including 'weapon proficiency overhaul,' the 13-int Fighter I create has 6 proficiency points during character creation and not innate ability to assign more points via dialogue. This is despite the 'weapon proficiency overhaul' readme text stating:

Warriors, rogues, and priests start with 5 proficiency points; wizards, sorcerers, and shamans start with 3. Warriors receive up the 3 more proficiencies, chosen by dialogue, if their INT score is 11 (+1), 12 (+2), or 13 (+3)

-After adding the 'Stat Bonus Overhaul' component, the new 13-int fighter I create starts with a single innate ability called 'advance weapon proficiency' that can grant him a single proficiency point. (Not the 3 points stated above.)

-After adding the 'Combat Skills System' component, the new 13-int fighter I create has 8 proficiency points during character creation but can no longer specialize at this stage. As before, he starts with a single innate ability called 'advance weapon proficiency' that can grant him a single proficiency point.

It’s possible I made balance changes while working on and testing the mod, which did not (yet?) make it to an updated Readme. Nothing you wrote sounds actually buggy, so I would operate under the assumption that it is working as intended. You get lots of proficiency points with the CSP system because you are expected to spend a couple of them on feats/skills. 

I think the idea of that one “Advance Proficiency” innate is that it should let you specialize at 1st level, but only in one weapon. Maybe?

From what I can tell, Fighters get a single 'Advance Proficiency' innate for starting with 13 Int. It doesn't appear with 12 or lower. But it also doesn't increase in charges at higher Int, unlike what the readme suggests. (Re: your guess about the intention, I don't think it is CSP related, or meant to let you specialize at 1st.)

I assumed CSP was bugged when I couldn't specialize at Fighter 1, because it contradicts the ' Warriors may specialize at 1st level' from the WPO readme, but I should have read further for the WPO specialization table.

Hi @subtledoctor I've noticed a typo in the combat skills component. It seems assassins are given an extra  ac bonus rather than backstab

COPY ~%MOD_FOLDER%/lib/d5_base.spl~ ~override/d5csass1.spl~
  LPF ADD_SPELL_EFFECT INT_VAR opcode = 233 target = 1 parameter1 = 1 parameter2 = (106 + (0x10000 * 1)) timing = 9 END
  LPF ADD_SPELL_EFFECT INT_VAR opcode = 206 target = 1 parameter1 = (0 - 1) timing = 9 duration = 0 STR_VAR resource = ~d5csass1~ END

Should be

COPY ~%MOD_FOLDER%/lib/d5_base.spl~ ~override/d5csass1.spl~
  LPF ADD_SPELL_EFFECT INT_VAR opcode = 233 target = 1 parameter1 = 1 parameter2 = (104 + (0x10000 * 1)) timing = 9 END
  LPF ADD_SPELL_EFFECT INT_VAR opcode = 206 target = 1 parameter1 = (0 - 1) timing = 9 duration = 0 STR_VAR resource = ~d5csass1~ END

@subtledoctor

Additionally, the shadowdancer has the learn spell cast for Shadowstep but does not have the ci206 spell or the ci000 spell for semi innates cast to give the spells and the semi_innate state so doesn't actually have the shadowstep ability until another spell is selected from the magical skills dialogue. In addition, they have spells cast on them that do not actually exist (I suspect these were old versions of adding slots spells or just typos). However they are not needed as they get the additional spell slots applied anyway via d5cs000.

Therefore

COPY ~%MOD_FOLDER%/lib/d5_base.spl~ ~override/d5csshd1.spl~
  LPF ADD_SPELL_EFFECT INT_VAR opcode = 146 target = 1 parameter2 = 1 timing = 1 STR_VAR resource = ~d5csi9l~ END
  LPF ADD_SPELL_EFFECT INT_VAR opcode = 146 target = 1 parameter2 = 1 timing = 1 STR_VAR resource = ~d5csix1z~ END
  LPF ADD_SPELL_EFFECT INT_VAR opcode = 146 target = 1 parameter2 = 1 timing = 1 STR_VAR resource = ~d5csix1z~ END
  LPF ADD_SPELL_EFFECT INT_VAR opcode = 206 target = 1 parameter1 = (0 - 1) timing = 9 duration = 0 STR_VAR resource = ~d5csshd1~ END

Should be

COPY ~%MOD_FOLDER%/lib/d5_base.spl~ ~override/d5csshd1.spl~
  LPF ADD_SPELL_EFFECT INT_VAR opcode = 146 target = 1 parameter2 = 1 timing = 1 STR_VAR resource = ~d5csi9l~ END
  LPF ADD_SPELL_EFFECT INT_VAR opcode = 206 target = 1 parameter1 = (0 - 1) timing = 9 duration = 0 STR_VAR resource = ~d5csshd1~ END
  LPF ADD_SPELL_EFFECT INT_VAR insert_point = 0 opcode = 146 target = 1 parameter2 = 1 timing = 1 STR_VAR resource = ~d5ci206~ END
  LPF ADD_SPELL_EFFECT INT_VAR insert_point = 0 opcode = 146 target = 1 parameter2 = 1 timing = 1 STR_VAR resource = ~d5ci000~ END

In addition I notice that shadowdancers get the free spell of shadowstep, which comes with 2 spell slots, plus two additional spell slots, which mean they have 4 slots at level 1 or 6 if they select another magical skills spell. This seems like a lot, giving them double the spell casting ability of a sorcerer at level 1, although with limited spell choice and it obviously doesn't scale in the same way. Is this intended? To me if feels like the 2 free spell slots that come with the free spell of shadowstep are enough.

I also think shashbucklers are given the wrong effects as they are given an extra point in set snares and backstab, whereas I assume this should be AC and melee thac0 (104 and 105 should be 106 and 107).

The shield bashing component of combat skills has given me so many funny interactions in BG1: bashing a sanctuaried cleric, getting repeatedly bashed by a dead helmed horror, getting bashed by one of Felonious Gist's petrified adventurers. The conditions for its application seem very wide.

On 8/31/2023 at 4:21 PM, pencey said:

The shield bashing component of combat skills has given me so many funny interactions in BG1: bashing a sanctuaried cleric, getting repeatedly bashed by a dead helmed horror, getting bashed by one of Felonious Gist's petrified adventurers. The conditions for its application seem very wide.

Good points. I've made it more selective in version 6.6.2, it should not happen for people holding shields who are sleeping, held, petrified, feebleminded, invisible, or dead. (Haven't tested it yet, though.)