Patching a CRE's CON

JediMindTrix

Will changing a creatures CON result to it's new bonus being calculated in game?

If I were to say, give additional levels and a higher CON to a creature, would I have to factor in bonus HP along with the HP gained from levels when recalculating their HP?

EDIT: Additionally, is it possible to include dice rolls into WRITE_SHORT somehow for patching HP?

Will changing a creatures CON result to it's new bonus being calculated in game?

Usually not, cause it depends on the creature, and as it so happens, most of them don't have a class that has a defined Constitution HP bonus. But not to worry, nearly every one of the creatures has their CON set to 9, so having or not having it doesn't matter to them.

What about Natural AC and Dex?

They should stack with each others, but the armor and the creatures AC do no, so having an Dragon(AC in the bold part of -10) wear a plate mail won't affect it's AC with or without it, well the modifiers do still stack on top.

Only the player classes (the first entries in CLASS.IDS) are affected by HPCONBON.IDS.

And what about Draconis (BAZDRA02) : Mage.

Thaxll'ssillyia (SHADRA01) : Cleric

I mean, if I create a monster from scratch and give it a class (mage, cleric, or whatever), and if its stats allow it to gain bonuses, will it benefit from them ingame or not ?

Or must I add them by hand in its cre file ?

This is getting confused.

The .cre file has fields for max HP and current HP in addition to CON. Patching CON to 25 is nice and all, but if the file still has its max HP set at 6 then you're not going to override that.

On the other hand, if you can patch one then you can patch them all. If this is being done at install-time, rather than in-game, then just design the creature however you want it to be. What's the difference?

As Lynx says, an alternative to patching the .cre file itself is to add a spell effect to it. Hit it with an ADD_CRE_EFFECT and use opcode #10 to set CON to 25. If it's Draconis and set as a mage, then you'll see a bump of 2 HP per level.

The .cre file has fields for max HP and current HP in addition to CON. Patching CON to 25 is nice and all, but if the file still has its max HP set at 6 then you're not going to override that.

Ahmn, It has those, but the max HP doesn't actually have the Constitution bonus added to it, just the class HP that you get from the dice aka 1d4 - 1d10 (+any other additional HP bonuses, like from being a barbarian you get +2).

You can easily see this in shadowkeeper, where your character can drop bellow negative current HPs and still be alive.

What about Natural AC and Dex?

They should stack with each others, but the armor and the creatures AC do no, so having an Dragon(AC in the bold part of -10) wear a plate mail won't affect it's AC with or without it, well the modifiers do still stack on top.

You mean that a Plate Mail +3 on a Dragon with -10 Natural AC will have -13 AC rather than -19?

And also DEX does not relate to the Natural AC, and that it is independent?

Archived