Unearthed Arcana presents Might & Guile: tweaks and kits for warriors and rogues

On 8/22/2020 at 5:17 PM, NdranC said:

found some possible issues.

- The new description for assassin doesn't mention the changes to thief skill per level, or at all for that matter.

Do you mean changes from the unmodded Assassin to this version, or changes from this version's base thief to this version's Assassin?  I'll take a look at the kit description.

- The description for assassin is not correctly updated to your new one when checking in-game instead of the character creation screen.

Are you on EET?  And playing in the BG1 campaign?  I think k4thos added a new bg1-specific version of CLASTEXT.2da ("BG1CLTXT.2da" or something like that).  Why on earth, I have no idea.  I'd be a lot more open to putting in the hours to address this file for all of my kits in all of my mods, if someone can give me a good reason for why it should exist.  Why change things in that campaign?  Why not just point it to CLASTEXT.2da?

- Looking at the feats, the Dodge and Combat Training Feat show up twice in the same list. At first I though it was intentional since both of those can be taken twice but I've noticed other feats that can be taken more than once only show up once in the same list.

- The feats seems to be inconsistently tracked in the Priest Spell Book. Feats like Stealth, Thieving, Detection Skills, Lore Bonus, Poison Weapon (toxin) and many others do not show up at all in the spell book.

This is all for technical reasons.  For feats you can take twice, and only twice, there are two versions of the feat.  Both will go into the spellbook after you choose them.  This feat-choice system is actually adapted from the spell-choice system Kjeron created as an alternate method for sorcerers to learn spells.  (TnB's multiclass sorcerers nd FnP's multiclass shamans both use it.)  It needs to check which spells (here, which feats) are already in your spellbook, and will not offer you to learn any spells which are already there.

I want some feats to be available an unlimited number of times; I achieve that by simply never adding them to the spellbook.  Other feats can only be chosen once, like Slippery Mind; that goes in the spellbook when you choose it.  The simplest way to make Dodge available twice is to make two Dodge feats.  (That one in particular is complicated by Swashbucklers - for a Swashbuckler, Dodge only gets added to the spellbook the third time you choose it; which means they can choose each Dodge feat three times, for six in total.)

- Feats like Combat Training will not update your damage numbers when you check your inventory. I assume this is because of engine limitations since some items even in vanilla have this kind of behavior but I will never not hate this and will point it out just in case.

Combat Training is just a thac0 bonus, not a damage bonus.

I've updated the mod to v4.9.1, with just a few improvements:

• Increased compatibility between MnG "Revised Bards" and Tome & Blood's Arcanist and Multiclass Sorcerer spellcasting systems.  MnG now uses the same systems for item-based bonus slots and ability-score-based bonus slots as those in TnB v0.9.  For reference, MnG Revised Bards use INT as their score for bonus spells, just like wizards. 
  • The "Improved Rangers" component is supposed to give rangers the Tracking feat and a +1 backstab bonus, but due to a tiny typo this was not being applied if the MnG feat system was installed.  This is now fixed, and ranger are now a little more awesome.
  • I added an .ini file for use with Project Infinity.
Edited by subtledoctor

Hey subtledoctor. I'm very happy to have found your mods again after they disappeared from the Beamdog fora.

I got a question, just to see if I'm reading everything correctly.

The Elven Bladesinger revised bard (with T&B, SoB and F&P installed) would be:

1) able to cast in armour, thanks to YARAS. (With a speed penalty.)

2) able to use the Luck Bard improvisation. (Which upgrades all d20 rolls to the next higher, so crits on 19 & 20.)

3) able to reach 4 stars in their focus weapon and the bonus 1/2 APR would stack with the 1/2 from Fencing Style (**) and weapon proficiencies.

4) using INT as stat for bonus spells.

5) able to complete the Siren quest in Easthaven by singing. (In IWD EE, obviously.)

Finally, I seem to recall that one should not be using EEKeeper to edit savegames, but Infinity Explorer. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by GawainBS
55 minutes ago, GawainBS said:

The Elven Bladesinger revised bard (with T&B, SoB and F&P installed) would be:

1) able to cast in armour, thanks to YARAS. (With a speed penalty.)

Revised bards can actually cast in leather armor even without YARAS.  With YARAS installed, I believe they escape the casting speed penalty - but again, only in leather armor.

2) able to use the Luck Bard improvisation. (Which upgrades all d20 rolls to the next higher, so crits on 19 & 20.)

Yes they can take the Lucky feat if you have the feats system installed, but note that luck does not improve your hit chance.  It only increases weapon damage and decreases incoming spell damage, and improves the effectiveness of Mirror Image.  There is a different feat, Precise Strike, that improves your crit chance.

3) able to reach 4 stars in their focus weapon and the bonus 1/2 APR would stack with the 1/2 from Fencing Style (**) and weapon proficiencies.

The exact number of stars depending on which proficiency system you use, but in general yes, with SoB Revised Weapon Styles, Bladesingers can attack as much with one hand as an equivalent F/M can attack with two weapons.  The same amount for mastery, the same for being a warrior, plus 1/2 for SWS, and plus 1/2 for your weapon of focus.  Also +1 thac0/damage if the focus weapon is a long sword or short sword!

4) using INT as stat for bonus spells.

Yes.

5) able to complete the Siren quest in Easthaven by singing. (In IWD EE, obviously.)

Yes.

Just note, there is currently a kind of nasty bug with the way the Revised Bards handles bonus spell slot items like the Ring of Wizardry.  (The items actually work perfectly with Revised Bards; they are a bit screwy with normal mages.)  I've already written up the fix, I just need to playtest it.  The fixed version should hopefully be ready by tonight or tomorrow.

Edited by subtledoctor
8 hours ago, GawainBS said:

I'll hold off on installing the mods then.

Okay, as outlined here, I just updated this mod, as well as TnB, FnP, and SoB.  All four updates involve some of the same systems so I recommend grabbing all of the latest versions.  (In fact I also made small updates to Random Tweaks and Will to Power as well, though those are very minor, and unrelated.)

35 minutes ago, GawainBS said:

M&G has a "Revised Archery" component, yet I couldn't find anything in the documentation. What does it do?

Component 205 is detailed here, in between the feats and bards.  It replaces the single "called shot" ability with several different trick shots (pin someone in place, or stun them, or make them stumble, etc.) which can be chosen like feats.  It also auto-installs the Marksman (fighter), Sniper (thief), Elven Archer (ranger), and Halfling Slinger (fighter/thief) kits.  (If the Elven Archer was already installed with Faiths & Powers, it will of course be skipped.)