Unearthed Arcana presents Might & Guile: tweaks and kits for warriors and rogues

Guest Obtuse User

Another question, if you don't mind: I can successfully edit the feat lists for existing kits (per your instructions above), but can you offer some tips if i wanted to add feats to new kits added by mods? I tried copying the feat abilities from the Burglar 2DA to the Adventurer 2DA, and in turn adding a column for the Adventurer to d5flstf.2da. While the Feat innate shows up in game, when using it no spellbook appears for feat selection.

Only need to try and explain if its relatively simple to do and I'm missing something obvious. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Guest Obtuse User said:

I tried copying the feat abilities from the Burglar 2DA to the Adventurer 2DA, and in turn adding a column for the Adventurer to d5flstf.2da. While the Feat innate shows up in game, when using it no spellbook appears for feat selection

Did you do that before installing the mod, or after?

That .2da file controls how the mod is installed - it doesn’t do anything in the game once you are playing. Your method will probably work (I think), but you have to add the column to d5flstf.2da in the mod folder before installing, then add the feat abilities to the new kit’s ability table after installing.

Edited by subtledoctor
14 minutes ago, Guest Obtuse User said:

There's my issue - made both edits after installing. Is there another process I can follow post-install? Thanks again.

You’d have to do surgery on the feat innate abilities themselves (all of them). I think they use opcode 326 effects to differentiate by kit... you would have to copy one of them and change the copy to the new kit. I’m not totally sure off the top of my head, and I’m not certain it would work even you did it right. But, it might! No harm in trying. Just back up the feat files before doing surgery, and restore the backups if something goes wrong. 

Guest Obtuse User

Yeah thats probably beyond what I'm willing/able to do lol. I'll make my preferred edits to your 2da's for my next install :)

Great job on the feat system by the way - very interesting stuff.

Guest The Wire

I've got a problem importing my mage/thief bard from SoD to SoA. Specifically the spell preparation and inspiration icons vanish.

I'm using MnG 4.4.3.

16 hours ago, Guest The Wire said:

I've got a problem importing my mage/thief bard from SoD to SoA. Specifically the spell preparation and inspiration icons vanish.

I'm using MnG 4.4.3.

That's not great.  I have no idea why that would be... did you export the character, or the savegame?  Maybe there's a difference?  (Fingers crossed.)  I really have no idea how the game imports characters, or why it would remove some innate abilities.  But #1, try different methods of exporting/importing your character.

#2, you could try use the console to add them back to your character... something like "C:Eval" and then invoke the AddSpecialAbility action.  Honestly the console is really clunky to me and I cannot remember exactly how to do it.  Maybe something like

C:Eval('ActionOverride(Player1,AddSpecialAbility("d5prepb"))')
C:Eval('ActionOverride(Player1,AddSpecialAbility("d5bdxxx"))')

That syntax may not be exactly right... like I say, it's really hard for me to remember exactly how to use the console, where the quotes and parens have to be, etc.

Your character should remember which bard songs it knows and doesn't know, so giving yourself the "Cancel Song" ability 'd5bdxxx' should renew the ones you know.  Your character should have recorded how many casting slots it has at each spell level - it is recorded in various unused proficiencies, and I'm pretty sure proficiencies are preserved when importing characters - so giving yourself the "Prepare Spells" ability 'd5prepb' should enable you to memorize spells and then sleep and then cast them.

But honestly, no promises.  The fact that there is a problem in the first place means that something is going on that I don't understand.  Worst-case scenario, #3, you're going to have to recreate your character in the Chargen menus.

Guest The Wire
1 hour ago, subtledoctor said:

That's not great.  I have no idea why that would be... did you export the character, or the savegame?  Maybe there's a difference?  (Fingers crossed.)  I really have no idea how the game imports characters, or why it would remove some innate abilities.  But #1, try different methods of exporting/importing your character.

#2, you could try use the console to add them back to your character... something like "C:Eval" and then invoke the AddSpecialAbility action.  Honestly the console is really clunky to me and I cannot remember exactly how to do it.  Maybe something like

C:Eval('ActionOverride(Player1,AddSpecialAbility("d5prepb"))')
C:Eval('ActionOverride(Player1,AddSpecialAbility("d5bdxxx"))')

That syntax may not be exactly right... like I say, it's really hard for me to remember exactly how to use the console, where the quotes and parens have to be, etc.

Your character should remember which bard songs it knows and doesn't know, so giving yourself the "Cancel Song" ability 'd5bdxxx' should renew the ones you know.  Your character should have recorded how many casting slots it has at each spell level - it is recorded in various unused proficiencies, and I'm pretty sure proficiencies are preserved when importing characters - so giving yourself the "Prepare Spells" ability 'd5prepb' should enable you to memorize spells and then sleep and then cast them.

But honestly, no promises.  The fact that there is a problem in the first place means that something is going on that I don't understand.  Worst-case scenario, #3, you're going to have to recreate your character in the Chargen menus.

#1 didn't work but it looks like the #2 console option you provided works like a charm, and with either import! Inspirations and Memorizing icons are visible and working so far.

Thanks a bunch. 

Massive post with all the compiled issues from my other posts.

Spoiler

1. Quickstride:

2. The Gallant bard kit (standalone version) and likely some of the other bard kits mess with the base bard spell tables, and seem to cause issues with other kits/mods obtaining their spells when they are supposed to.

3. The corsair kit (standalone version)

• The kit description mentions grand mastery (*****) in light bladed weapons.  With Scales of Balance Weapon Style Overhaul installed classes can only put up to 4* in a weapon type.  I wouldn't normally comment on this, but since they are both your mods you should be able to make sure the Corsair kit description gets updated when Scales of Balance is installed for a bit of extra polish.
  • Likewise, the kit description mentions Single Weapon Style, but this has been renamed to "Fencing".
  • The Swashbuckling skill is missing an icon in the innate ability section.
  • Is able to dual class to a thief, despite the in-game kit description saying it can't.  I ran change-log on dualclas.2da and it looks like the Corsair kit is not correctly blocking dual classing to thief.  Note that the readme for the mod does not include this description.  I suspect that this is some text that was overlooked or dual classibility that was overlooked for the non-Feat version of the kit because in setup.tra some versions have the restriction and some don't.
  • The class does not get a +1 bonuses to Armor Class at any level beyond the first.  I would expect them at 6, 12, 18, etc based on the kit description.  If the kit gets a +1 bonus to Armor Class at level 1, then the description should probably be altered slightly to reflect that intent.
  • I am also getting Rat: Normal Stride: Rat in addition to Keldorn: Normal Stride: Keldorn when I reload a saved game (Quickload) with the rat familiar (from the Tome & blood innate familiars/choose familiars) in my character's backpack.  Somehow it appears it has gotten into the Global Script file and is printing out the text.

4. Multiclass Kits: Spellfilcher

• The kit description says that the Spellfilcher gets "Silence 15' Radius" however the ability is called "Silence" in the tooltip and it works differently than the priest spell of the same name because it cannot be targeted at the ground and must target a character/npc (Living Actor).
  • At level 5 (~20,000 xp) the Spellfilcher has a chat box message appear on level up "Save vs Spells Bonus: CHARNAME".  This isn't mentioned anywhere in the kit description. This also happens at mage 9/thief 10, mage 12/thief 15.
  • Also at level 5, the variant spell turning innate does not mention the 12 hour duration in the in-game ability description that appears when you right click it.
  • For abilities obtained at certain level ups, I would recommend specifying if it is mage or thief levels in the kit description due to the class's multiclass experience system.  Otherwise players may be a bit confused about what to expect.
  • At Mage level 8/Thief level 9, the Spellfilcher gets the permanent nondetection passive.  The following displays in chat rather than "non-detection". It appears that this happens because the 220_multiclass_kits.tpa does not SAY NAME the spell and tries to reference an ability name in the base game, which can get garbled by installation of a lot of other mods https://content.invisioncic.com/u284679/monthly_2020_07/SpellfilcherNondetect.jpg.61d65ecf8cdf03f53b06ad498ffffd78.jpg

5. Multiclass Kits: Loremaster

• Kit description says that it doesn't get backstab multipliers, however at level 1 it has a x2 backstab multiplier.  Could be caused by another mod.  I checked backstab.2da and the one in the override and all the way through change-log always has a x1 multiplier.  I'm guessing based on very old memories that a x1 multiplier is actually a 1+1=x2 multiplier.  Shows up on the character record screen and in actual combat (tested).
  • Note that there is no benefit to thief skills in <5 point increments, so the 18 points per level means there are a bunch of points that provide no benefit at each level (you'll get the benefit every other level)

6. Multiclass Kits: Ranger/Mage

• Kit description in game doesn't match kit description in readme.  Readme needs to be updated.
  • Animal empathy gets additional charges at Mage2/Thief3.  Not mentioned in kit description, but should be.
  • Goodberries also gets additional uses at higher levels that isn't mentioned in the kit description.  Right now the kit description for both Animal Empathy and Goodberries is written very casually and doesn't follow the same style of kit descriptions used in most other mods or the base game.  Just needs to be tidied up a bit.
  • At Ranger/Mage first levelup (thief 2) a bunch of blank lines are spammed in chatRanger-MageLevel1.jpg.d0e25933b78a187e778db95789daef8f.jpg
  • At level Mage2/Thief3 more lines are spammed.Ranger-MageLevel2.jpg.9fdb44edaae9f1068578c8b4c098b49e.jpg
  • This happens at every level up, alternating between 2 or 3 lines getting spammed.
  • Note that there is no benefit to thief skills in <5 point increments, so the 12 points per level means there are a bunch of points that provide no benefit at each level (you'll get the benefit every 3 levels)
  • At Thief3/Mage2 the 2nd level ranger spells are added to the spellbook, but no spell slots are available yet.  Could be caused by a mod, but I'm not sure what file to check for the mage/thief kit spell table in order to see which mod has made alterations.  3rd level spells also become available 1 level before the slots are made available.
  • The druid spells get added pretty quick (all are available by level Mage5/Thief6).  Maybe this is normal for the ranger/cleric ability progression and the ranger spell progression (though I think rangers normally get their spells later).  Doesn't look unbalanced though.
  • More druid spells get added at spell level 4+ which are not mentioned in the kit description.

7. Marksman kit (standalone version)

• The description of when the kit gains the Called Shot ability is ambiguous, though not incorrect.  Consider updating this version to be a bit more precise like the other variations of the Marksman kit.
  • Wording as to when the Marksman gets the +1 hit and damage with missile weapons is ambiguous, as per above.

8. Halfling Slinger kit (standalone version)

• The name is inconsistent.  The readme and kit component call it the Halfling Slinger, but during character creation it is listed as a "Slinger".
  • The Readme and installer says that this is a Fighter or Ranger kit, however it is actually a Fighter/Thief multiclass kit.
  • During character creation it shows as being able to put 3 pips into Dual-Wielding (though you can only put one pip at level 1 in Baldur's Gate character creation). I can put 3 pips into Dual-Wielding when leveling up in game. May be due to an engine bug.
  • During character creation, you can put 2 pips into all melee weapons, all non-dual wielding weapon styles, 4 pips into Slings, and 1 pip into Bows and Crossbows.  This is with Scales of Balance installed after Might & Guile.  There appears to be some unintended interaction between these two mods. 
  • The kit description has text about abilities gained at certain levels.  Because this is a multiclass kit, I would suggest modifying the wording to say which Fighter/Thief level it gets, or just specify which Fighter or Thief level the ability is gained at.  This applies to both the +1 missile THAC0 and damage and the called shot ability.
  • The kit description lists not getting Charm Animal as a drawback.  Fighter/Thief never got this ability.
  • The class has a lot of additional undocumented features that should be added to the kit description or alluded to in some way.  I'm happy to write an updated kit description for this.
  • The inability to use metal armor isn't that big of a deal compared to a normal fighter thief, since wearing armor heavier than Studded Leather means giving up being able to use their thief abilities, but if the kit is blocked from metal armor that is a drawback.
  • Note that the class cannot use the Ankheg Plate Mail, which is a non-metallic armor available to Figher/Druids.  It appears the Slinger just has the Fighter/Thief armor restrictions.
  • The class gets an undocumented Animal Empathy ability in their innate bar.  Animal Empathy does not have any right-click description.
  • It also gets 3 weapon proficiencies and 1 advanced weapon proficiency at level 1/1 in addition to the 5 points it can distribute at character creation (with Scales of Balance installed).  This might be a few too many or entirely intentional.  It is more proficiencies than the Marksman got, however.  Up to 3,000,000 xp the kit gains another 2 advanced weapon proficiency innates.
  • There is a similar issue with the wording of the +1 THAC0 and missile damage as well as Called Shot lines in the kit description (see comments on Marksmen above).  I suspect that a similar reason and the levels at which the bonuses are actually gained will apply.  I would double check.
  • The kit can put points into Set Traps, but does not get a Set Traps button in innates.
  • The kit does not get any HLAs (more troubleshooting)Issue identified (I think)
  • The kit only gets 4 Called Shots total, see previous comments about expecting to get another one at level 20 with the kit description text as written.

@3243  = ~The Slinger is the epitome of skill with the sling — the result of halflings' natural aptitude with bows as well as their single-minded dedication to training with the weapon.

Advantages:
    - +1 to hit and damage rolls with any missile weapon every 3 levels.
    - May achieve Grand Mastery (5 slots) in slings.
    - May use the Called Shot ability once per day. Gains one use at level 4 and an additional use every 4 levels thereafter.

CALLED SHOT: All successful ranged attacks within the next 10 seconds have the following cumulative effects besides normal damage, according to the level of the Archer:
     4th level: -1 penalty to target's THAC0.
     8th level: -1 penalty to target's Saving Throws vs. Spell.
     12th level: -1 penalty to the target's Strength score.
     16th level: +2 bonus to damage roll.

Disadvantages:
    - May not wear any metal armor.
    - May only become Proficient (one slot) with melee weapons.
    - May not use the Charm Animal ability.
    ~

• The called shot description references the "Archer".  This should be "Slinger" or "Halfling Slinger"
  • The right click Called Shot description makes reference to the level of the caster.  This should be the level of the Slinger/Halfling Slinger.

9. Mage Hunter kit (standalone version)

• Does not receive a -1 penalty to Strength or Constitution.
  • Slight wording adjustment recommendation to improve flow for Vocal Disruption description

@3509  = ~Vocal Disruption

Mage Hunters have learned to produce a coarse, groaning shout of a particular frequency that affects the inner ear of nearby spellcasters. The spellcasters must make a saving throw vs. Petrification or be partially deafened and suffer a 40% chance of spell failure for 5 rounds. The strain on the Mage Hunter's vocal cords limits them in the number of times per day that they may perform the shout.~

Note that the Deafness effect gives a 50% spell failure chance with an indefinite duration.  You can probably pretty safely just call this Deafness and make sure it applies the deafness portrait icon (if it doesn't already).  The kit description of the Vocal Disruption ability does not provide any information on when the Mage Hunter gains additional uses of the ability, which it should if following the general convention (additional uses gained at level 6, 12, 18

• Gained spell slot for ranger spells at level 7, but did not get Shocking Grasp or Deafness until level 8.  The cleanest way to handle this may be either detecting what level the ranger gets spell slots at install, or just specifying what character level the extra spells are added to the Mage Hunter's spellbook.  The Mage Hunter did get both new level 2 spell slots at level 10 and the additional spells.  The same was true for level 12 when obtaining level 3 spell slots and the additional spells.

• The saving throw bonus wording isn't quite right.  You probably want to specify the exact levels they get the bonus (1, 5, 10, 15) or just say gains at level 1, level 5, and every 5 levels thereafter.

• The Mage Hunter does not receive HLAs.

I will continue to update this post as I continue my testing.

Edited by Caedwyr

I've updated the mod version 4.9 with some improvements and some fixes.  A rough account of the changes:

• Revised Bards' hybrid spellcasting system is now largely portable, matching the code in the Arcanist mod.  It supports the newer methods for ability score-based bonus spell slots as well as items like the Ring of Wizardry.  Kit descriptions will now be patched to reflect whether they support Sequencers and Contingencies (which requires TnB's Revised Metamagic option #5), and whether they can cast Identify (which requires TnB's Revised Identify and/or Level 1 Cantrips)
  • All kits added by the mod will check for whether their IDS value will overlap with the Abjurer, Conjurer, or Diviner values, and avoid the overlapping slot.
  • The presence of the Quickstride component should no longer spam combat log messages when you enter new areas or load savegames etc.
  • The Halfling Slinger's description is more accurate as to its innate abilities and restrictions.
  • The Spellfilcher's kit abilities are fixed/improved.
  • The OG Gallant no longer changes the bards' spell table, which means it no longer has a spell slot penalty.  This interacts better with other mods, but also means the kit it more powerful.  Go nuts.
  • The Corsair's bonuses are fixed, and the description is more accurate, including that you can dual-class from that kit to the thief class.  Go nuts.
  • The Mage Hunter no longer has ability score penalties (go nuts - see a theme here?), has its innate abilities fixed, has access to a proper HLA table, and gives you access to the bonus spells when you need them, regardless of  which spell table you use for rangers.
  • The Ranger/mage... has some passive kit abilities cleaned up and no longer spams the combat log when you level up.  I want to do more here - create a tiny version of the Arcanist's casting system to use for its druid spells, instead of adding them to your wizard spellbook.  Totally doable, but it won't be quick, and I don't have tons of time for it, and even with that fairly major improvement I would still pretty much hate this kit.  So... don't hold your breath.

I think that's it, for now.  Cheers.

I'm currently toying around with a new install and I've decided to test some of the features you have in your mods. I did a quick test and I found some possible issues.

EET install, added weidu.log in case you need it. This is a rough first pass to testing some mods so it's possible I installed something wrong. I've only tested assassin so far.

- The new description for assassin doesn't mention the changes to thief skill per level, or at all for that matter.

- The description for assassin is not correctly updated to your new one when checking in-game instead of the character creation screen.

- Looking at the feats, the Dodge and Combat Training Feat show up twice in the same list. At first I though it was intentional since both of those can be taken twice but I've noticed other feats that can be taken more than once only show up once in the same list.

- The feats seems to be inconsistently tracked in the Priest Spell Book. Feats like Stealth, Thieving, Detection Skills, Lore Bonus, Poison Weapon (toxin) and many others do not show up at all in the spell book.

- Feats like Combat Training will not update your damage numbers when you check your inventory. I assume this is because of engine limitations since some items even in vanilla have this kind of behavior but I will never not hate this and will point it out just in case.

I'll try to keep testing some more in the next couple days. I might trim down my install to just gameplay mods so I can test and change things faster.

weidu.log

Guest The Wire

On 8/22/2020 at 11:17 PM, NdranC said:

- Feats like Combat Training will not update your damage numbers when you check your inventory. I assume this is because of engine limitations since some items even in vanilla have this kind of behavior but I will never not hate this and will point it out just in case.

I wonder if this means that the feat doesn't work or the bonus is actually included in the damage but is just hidden?