Unearthed Arcana presents Might & Guile: tweaks and kits for warriors and rogues

On 12/6/2019 at 5:21 PM, Guest Gwaihir said:

There's a recurring issue in my installs that involves the mods 'Eilistraee's song' and 'Yvette'. Those mods add one kit each, and ...

#ERROR: cannot convert kitids_num or %kitids_num% to an integer
#ERROR: [kitlist.2da] -> [override] Patching Failed (COPY) (Not_found)

On 12/7/2019 at 1:55 PM, Guest Gwaihir said:

Actually no mod does that, I've always had to fill them manually whenever a component from Mng and FnP failed to install.

In fact both MnG and FnP started filling those missing entries, in the last update - that's what I was referring to in mentioning the "2DA_MISSING_COLS" function. 

I've just updated this to version 4.4.1 with an updated and improved version of that function, which should solve this issue.

Just letting you know that the missing KITIDs issue is still present in my EET install with all the latest versions. I get:

#ERROR: cannot convert kitids_num or %kitids_num% to an integer
#ERROR: [kitlist.2da] -> [override] Patching Failed (COPY) (Not_found)

while trying to install the feat system. Like the other times, just typing the correct IDs into kitlist.2da solves the issue.

Well, I’ve never seen the error myself, nobody has yet described for me exactly what the error is. I’ve tried several times to fix an error that I don’t actually understand, but I guess it’s not that surprising if it doesn’t work. As I say, I’ve installed this with no issue many times, with lots of other mods.

At this point the options are 1) figure out which mods are hosing the game files, and don’t use them; or 2) figure exactly what needs fixing, so I can fix it. In other words give me a way to actually reproduce the problem. A weidu.log with 100 mods on EET is not helpful. If someone identifies one mod that has this problem, so I can install one mod and then MnG, then it should be easy to fix. 

Also, needless to say, use the most recent version. The current one already fills in missing entries in column 10 of kitlist. The problem must be something other than that. 

EDIT - I’m curious to know whether anyone who sees errors such as this are using Roxanne’s  BWS-clone mod manager. It’s a longshot, but it’s worth knowing whether that’s something in common among the people experiencing this. 

Edited by subtledoctor
5 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

Well, I’ve never seen the error myself, nobody has yet described for me exactly what the error is.

Sufficiently might be a better word there, as you have not been able to reproduce it. Game version, setup-*modname*.debug etc information is needed.

Allright, so as I've said before the missing IDs belong to two kits, ESxKit and YsKit, introduced respectively by Eilistraee's song and Yvette. I'm using all the latest versions of your mods, installing everything with Project Infinity. If it helps I attached the weidu filechangelog for kitlist.2da.

Don't know if it's relevant, but everytime i fixed this issue, the KITID entry wasn't exactly empty, there was a '*' for both the kits. Maybe this is nothing, but anything can help I guess.

kitlist.2da-WeiDU-FileChangelog-2019-Dec-22.txt

Thank you @Gwaihir!

2 hours ago, Gwaihir said:

Allright, so as I've said before the missing IDs belong to two kits, ESxKit and YsKit, introduced respectively by Eilistraee's song and Yvette. I'm using all the latest versions of your mods, installing everything with Project Infinity. If it helps I attached the weidu filechangelog for kitlist.2da.

That's perfect.  Easy to reproduce - and I tried to... but couldn't.  Yvette does indeed leave the IDS column blank:

Spoiler

2147164973_ScreenShot2019-12-22at11_08_06AM.thumb.png.1b3bf745716c979c74f8139ec834aef1.png

But MnG Feats install just fine over it:

Spoiler

602330434_ScreenShot2019-12-22at11_09_43AM.thumb.png.39e95d5ff71e55b9fb266b83d63a8d52.png

Because MnG fills in the missing entry with the appropriate value:

Spoiler

901524793_ScreenShot2019-12-22at11_10_48AM.thumb.png.98b66beaaa3e09ad2bfce3db391604cc.png

BUT: your post was still very helpful:

Don't know if it's relevant, but everytime i fixed this issue, the KITID entry wasn't exactly empty, there was a '*' for both the kits. Maybe this is nothing, but anything can help I guess.

It looks like some other mod is coming in later and hosing the file by putting non-integer values in entries that expect integer values.  So a mod like MnG that tries to read that entry as an integer (like it's supposed to be) will fail.  But MnG doesn't think it needs fixing, because there are no 'missing' entries in the 2da table.

The good news is, now that I know what the actual problem is, I can fix it.  Just need to add an IS_AN_INT check to every instance of a KITIDS lookup... which is something that happens a lot... so give me a few hours/days.

Edited by subtledoctor

I'm helping! 😆

Ok, just wanted to add some info; if you look here:

Spoiler

tempsnip.png.84cf610eee609a66559f2895ff8558f8.png

Up until this point, with Aura installed, the entries are completely blank. The '*' appear immediately after. Looking at the weiduchangelog, the next mod that affects kitlist.2da is Tome and blood, so maybe that's what is

37 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

coming in later and hosing the file by putting non-integer values in entries that expect integer values. 

2 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

The good news is, now that I know what the actual problem is, I can fix it.  Just need to add an IS_AN_INT check to every instance of a KITIDS lookup... which is something that happens a lot... so give me a few hours/days.

OR, I can simply patch the band-aid function already in the mod(s), so a change in one place will fix it everywhere.  :thumbsup:

Thanks again @Gwaihir for helping me to pin this down.  Kitlist/kitids stuff should be all fixed fixed in v4.4.2.

57 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

I can simply patch the band-aid function already in the mod(s)

That was a good band aid you put there, I just installed MnG correctly, and I even manually put back the '*' into kitlist.2da before starting.

Thank you for the excellent and super fast support 🤟

P.S. There's a minor warning for Revised multiclassing and multiclass kit

#WARNING: Internal ability name too long [D5_NUMAT]. Skipping.

A few things: (v4.4.2)

Auras, emanations, and inspirations do not get added to the special abilities menu when you learn a new one. Instead, they appear after activating the base aura/inspiration/emanation, and then dectivating it with the 'quick weapon' harp button. (I guess this is because that button is giving back all the abilities that a bard should have). In previous versions they were immediately added, so maybe this is not intended?

The Maze Aura, on the other hand, works the opposite way: After choosing it at level up, it's in the special abilities menu (without an icon), and it works, though without the maze animation. After canceling it, it just disappears. Activating-canceling other abilities doesn't bring it back.

The Blur Aura effect doesn't match the description: instead of giving +3 to AC and +1 to saves, it gives +4 to saves. Also by the description, it should improve at mage lv 15, but after leveling up nothing changes.

There are two 'shout' spells in the bard spellbook, one lv 3, the other lv 6. The names and descriptions are identical, though the lv 6 version's icon is slightly bigger and does way more damage. I guess the 'great shout' spell needs a description update.

Finally, this is probably from Scales of Balance's Stat Bonus Overhaul (I'm using v.5.20): there is no 3d lv bonus spell for 19 charisma. I made two bards (mage/thief) with identical stats, save for one having 18 cha and the other 19, and at mage lv 10 they had identical memorization slots and casting slots; the readme says that 19 cha should give an extra 3d lv spell. The other charisma bonuses worked, at least at 19.

On 12/29/2019 at 6:34 AM, Gwaihir said:

A few things: (v4.4.2)

Auras, emanations, and inspirations do not get added to the special abilities menu when you learn a new one. Instead, they appear after activating the base aura/inspiration/emanation, and then dectivating it with the 'quick weapon' harp button. (I guess this is because that button is giving back all the abilities that a bard should have). In previous versions they were immediately added, so maybe this is not intended?

I think this is because it gets complicated trying to  control for what state the character is in when you learn the song - are you singing something else?  If so, what?  You would have a "stop singing" button as well as a "sing this song" button.  Would singing the new song stop the old song, or result in a compounded effect?  Would you end up with a doubled version of the "stop singing" button?  Would that stop both songs?

There's just a lot to control for.  Every time you press "stop singing" it gives you the buttons for all songs you know; so the simplest thing to do is simply add the new song to the list of such songs.  But I see how that can be confusing - there is no visual indication that you did in fact learn it, possibly until you sing a different song and then stop singing.  I'll look into making this a bit more transparent.  Maybe have every "learn song" event trigger the "stop singing" spell, so the full new list of available songs is generated right there and then.  (Though, that could be undesirable if you do it in combat, or if you are not singing at all at the time it happens, in which case it might create duplicate song buttons... you start to see a bit of the complexity involved here.)

I'll work on it when I can.

The Blur Aura effect doesn't match the description: instead of giving +3 to AC and +1 to saves, it gives +4 to saves. Also by the description, it should improve at mage lv 15, but after leveling up nothing changes.

I think this is a simple text error: the change from Blur to II actually happens at 13th level, not 15th.  (Reaching 15th level as a multiclass wizard takes a loooong time.  I designed these auras when "bards" were single-class rogues; hitting 15th level was far quicker back then.)  I'll update the description.

The +4 to saves, then, is because at 13th+ level you have improved invisibility active, which is hard-coded to give a +4 save bonus. 

Note to self, I should patch any anti-invisibility spells to disrupt this aura for their duration... (I tend to play with SR and/or TnB's "Revised Invisibility" which make Detect Invisible and True Seeing penetrate this aura; but I should do the same for the vanilla spells.)

The Maze Aura, on the other hand, works the opposite way: After choosing it at level up, it's in the special abilities menu (without an icon), and it works, though without the maze animation. After canceling it, it just disappears. Activating-canceling other abilities doesn't bring it back.

Sounds like a proper bug.  EDIT - yeah, found it.  I think you can fix this by finding your kit's HLA table (look at LUABBR.2da) and changing "GA_D5BD61A" to "AP_D5UB61" ... but that still requires you to load a save from before you chose that HLA.  Adding the song after-the-fact is more complicated.  If you want to forge on without loading an earlier save, you could also change the song's NUM_ALLOWED entry in your HLA table from 1 to 2, and then choose it again at the next level-up... but then, of course, you lose out on some other HLA.  Sorry.  I'll fix this in the mod itself as soon as I can.

There are two 'shout' spells in the bard spellbook, one lv 3, the other lv 6. The names and descriptions are identical, though the lv 6 version's icon is slightly bigger and does way more damage. I guess the 'great shout' spell needs a description update.

Yup, another simple text error in the .tra references.  Will fix.

Finally, this is probably from Scales of Balance's Stat Bonus Overhaul (I'm using v.5.20): there is no 3d lv bonus spell for 19 charisma. I made two bards (mage/thief) with identical stats, save for one having 18 cha and the other 19, and at mage lv 10 they had identical memorization slots and casting slots; the readme says that 19 cha should give an extra 3d lv spell. The other charisma bonuses worked, at least at 19.

I thought I had disabled that in SoB... in any event, you should use Tome & Blood if you want such bonus spells.  I'm no longer updating the SoB version.

Edited by subtledoctor