the "Faiths and Powers" mod

subtledoctor

I have continued successfully with the mod installed now for a significant period and it seems to work as intended, no further bugs found.

Anyhow, I need to uninstall the sphere system right now due to its complete incompatibility with my own mod NPC - since she is a fighter cleric with a pseudo kit not supported by F&P I cannot continue testing her since her coming quests and crossmod contents is highly dependent on her having a set of priests spells as of now that are removed from the game (SPIN201, SPPR103, SPRA301, SPRA302, SPRA303, SPHEAL2, SPCL232, SPCL732 etc). Her contents requires her to be a healer of some ability, however now at priest level 3 she has not a single healing spell to support her content.

This has nothing to do with F&P itself - it is my own mods design (and a kind of single NPC sphere system created for her) that makes the two mods incompatible.

My PC is still a priestess of Leira

- just let me know if any further findings I may have are of relevance to you under this constellation (i.e all your mod components installed axcept the sphere system)

Awesome, thanks for the report!

Just a note: I'm pretty sure the sphere system does not touch or alter any SPIN, SPCL, or SPRA spells. And any issues with SPPR healing spells not showing up have been fixed in a new beta that I uploaded after you had installed it.

But more broadly, yes, for an NPC of kit mod that involves divine spellcasting, to have total and complete compatibility there will need to be some specific compatibility code baked in.

(Which is not difficult, and I'm happy to help any modder who wants to do that.)

EDIT:

my own mod[/u] NPC - since she is a fighter cleric with a pseudo kit not supported by F&P

I haven't looked at your mod so I'm not sure what you mean by "pseudo-kit" but the best thing to do there is probably to install a real kit with the mod and apply it to your NPC. (There is no technical problem giving a kit to a multiclass NPC - I have a mod that does this in a number of instances. Faiths & Powers will eventually have a bunch of multiclass cleric kits included in it.) Then you can simply target your unique kit for compatibility.

Awesome, thanks for the report!

Just a note: I'm pretty sure the sphere system does not touch or alter any SPIN, SPCL, or SPRA spells. And any issues with SPPR healing spells not showing up have been fixed in a new beta that I uploaded after you had installed it.

But more broadly, yes, for an NPC of kit mod that involves divine spellcasting, to have total and complete compatibility there will need to be some specific compatibility code baked in.

(Which is not difficult, and I'm happy to help any modder who wants to do that.)

EDIT:

my own mod[/u] NPC - since she is a fighter cleric with a pseudo kit not supported by F&P

I haven't looked at your mod so I'm not sure what you mean by "pseudo-kit" but the best thing to do there is probably to install a real kit with the mod and apply it to your NPC. (There is no technical problem giving a kit to a multiclass NPC - I have a mod that does this in a number of instances. Faiths & Powers will eventually have a bunch of multiclass cleric kits included in it.) Then you can simply target your unique kit for compatibility.

Not to be misunderstood - I have no issue with the current incompatibility, this can be expected between two beta-type mods.

The current issue is just that it makes not much sense to test those two things in one installation. Should both mods be successful in the future, I see no big problem to solve the issues but it is not something to invest work on at this moment.

Apart from this, I like the concept of the mod in general, especially when you select a PC cleric or druid and get something more interesting than current avarage cleric/druid.

I've updated this to beta 11, it's at the same download link. This beta:

- adds the Shadow Mystic

- changes the Light Mystic's on-hit melee effect to Faerie Fire (40% chance, no save, 2-point AC penalty for 3 rounds)

- fixes some bugs with Frosty Journey kits not getting proper sphere access in IWDEE

- hopefully, fixes the AoE spell effect-duplication bug.

Barring any major bugs, this will probably be the last beta. Grammarsalad is back around, the mod is in his hands. He'll be adding the in-game deity selection script - which is really the lynchpin of this whole mod - and 10 or 20 new and updated kits. And then it will be publicly released! It's gonna be so great.

We're up to beta 17, the deity-selection-by-dialogue is included, we're up over 30 kits, everything is looking pretty good at the moment. Left to do:

- Add some more priest kits. Specifically, a few more Acolyte kits and a few more Incarnate kits, plus the Ur-priest and Alienist.

- Add some kits for demihuman deities.

- Add some multiclass kits.

- Add paladin archetypes and/or kits.

- Fashion the sphere-based HLA system.

- Add a few more new spells to round out the spheres.

That's it, more or less! Mostly just adding more kits into the mix so that there is a decent kit selection for every combination of archetype/alignment/race. And then the HLAs. I can definitely see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Okay, big update with beta 18!

I rewrote a big chunk of the sphere system code. Way back when this mod was just a twinkle in our eyes, I promised I would make it easy for other kit modders to hook into our system, and I've come through. For modders like @FailGeek who are making cleric kits (or druid kits or paladin kits or ranger kits) there is no need to use the complicated .tpa files from before. Now, all you need is a very simple, clear associative array. It's a very simple text file with the following content:

// kit sphere access

// you can use the following terms in the right column to define access:

// - focus
// - major
// - minor
// - paladin
// - ranger

ACTION_DEFINE_ASSOCIATIVE_ARRAY EVAL ~d5_%fox%_spheres~ BEGIN

Life			=> x
Death			=> x
Benediction		=> x
Destruction		=> x
Protection		=> x
War			=> x
Knowledge		=> x
Deception		=> x
Thought			=> x
Dread			=> x
Vigor			=> x
Affliction		=> x
Animal			=> x
Plant			=> x
Earth			=> x
Water			=> x
Air			=> x
Fire			=> x
Light			=> x
Shadow			=> x
Magic			=> x

END

Using this is about as simple as it looks. For any spheres your kit should have major access to, just replace the "x" on the right side with the word "major"... use "minor" for minor-access spheres, etc. Paladin and ranger kits should use "paladin" and "ranger" respectively (duh :p ). Then save it with the following filename: the clab.2da name of your kit (without the ".2da" extension), followed by "_spheres.d5." For example, to give spheres to priests of Talos, we include a version of this file called "clabpr02_spheres.d5".

In your mod, in the section where you install each kit, just include a line like this:

ACTION_IF NOT FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~d5_spheres.d5~ BEGIN
   COPY ~mymod/path/mykit_spheres.d5~ ~override~
END
(That's not a typo, it is supposed to read "NOT FILE_EXISTS...")

That's it!

This file must be in the override directory before the sphere system is installed, so other mods like @FailGeek's should be installed before FnP. FnP beta 18 includes versions of this file for all of the kits in Divine Remix v8 and Frosty Journey, so they are covered. (But, if those modders want to define their sphere access themselves, they can include this file with their kits and FnP wil gracefully defer to their picks. :) )

Just a quick update: we now have the dynamic HLA system working. At install time, the mod will build a custom HLA table for each kit based on which spheres the kit has major access to. The HLA table will contain 1-2 HLAs for each major sphere, plus 6 general HLAs available to all priests. We have created a bunch of new HLAs, and we are also using the vanilla HLAs, and some 9th-level wizard spells (e.g. Chain Contingency is an HLA for the sphere of Knowledge), and a few of the Refinements HLAs.

It is super cool.

We just have a few more things to iron out - like, kitted multiclass clerics! - and then we'll probably be ready for a proper public release within 2 weeks. Then, with the structural parts of the mod working, we can focus on adding kits for as many deities as possible.

This is going to be great.

I am super excited.

Get pumped!

Thanks. Waiting for the new version is cool.

I'm not aware of it and I just checked the Beamdog site and didn't see anything. Might be better to send it over there because I can't seem to get authentication message to access the PM system here. I'm surprised it let me post at all.

Thanks.

...Aaand, I've added compatibility with Might & Guile, Spell Revisions v4, Divine Remix v8, and the Frosty Journey IWDEE kitpack.

This text was from some time ago, but just having received the beta and not seeing a README I was wondering if the Divine Remix compatibility is for just the kits or also includes the sphere system. I would think it wouldn't include the sphere system but what do I know?

Figured I'd ask before learning it the hard way. Thanks.

Archived