State of modding after Dragonspear

czacki

Basically, I've been waiting for SoD to replay BG, I know couple modders were waiting for this as well, and the question is: are the mods ready? :p

Specifically the BiG world setup that takes care of mods overlapping, and the following:

1. Enhanced Edition Trilogy (or should it be called Quadrology now? :p)

2. SCS (can't play this game without that!)

3. Tweakpacks, banterpacks, questpacks

4. Ascension. I wasn't following the BG scene for a while - was a proper EE ascenscion finally made?

cheers!

I'd like to take this moment to mention a couple of mods I've made that include SOD support and are not yet on BWS:

[MOD] Minor NPC Portraits for BGEE

NPC small portrait mod, extensive and includes SOD.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/55237/mod-minor-npc-portraits-for-bgee

[MOD] BGEENPC Tweaks for BGEE / SOD / BG2EE / EET

This mod tweaks NPCs. A problem in SOD is lack of an evil fighter in the begininng of SOD and this has a component that addresses

that and moves Dorn to a more convenient location

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/58941/mod-bgeenpc-tweaks-for-bgee-sod-bg2ee-eet

Well, for what its worth, here are the Mods that I've messed with post SoD in my Install Order which I pieced together using BWP's documents.

-Mod Merge

Although necessary I suspect that it causes problems with some of the older mods.

-BGEE Classic Movies

It creates an old style Baldur configuration file, that after running the game I simply added .bak to the end of.

-BG1 Mini Quests

-BG1 NPC Pack

-BG1 NPC Music Pack

-Coran Friendship

-Garrick Infatuation

-Chatty Imoen

There is a very minor hot fix that you can apply in order to prevent the mod from blanking Imoen's bio

-Recast Jaheira (SoD Content)

There is a very minor hot fix that you can apply in order to prevent the mod from blanking Jaheira's bio.

-BG1 Romantic Encounters

-BG1 Unfinished Biz

-Improved Shamanic Dance

Uses WeiDu 23901, but is easy to simply trade the setup file with a 239 version.

-Stratagems

Requires several hot fixes in order to install everything. subtledoctor's files plus a few that critto mentioned to me.

-Tweaks Anthology

-General Biffing

-Multikit Builder

-Thalantyr Item Upgrade

Seems to work, but has a minor glitch where the Bag of Holding, ect that is added to Thalantyr's store by this mod uses random dialog from SoD as both name and description.

-High Level Abilities

Currently on my "do not install list" because it interferes with Stratagems.

Now please note that I haven't had a chance to run full tests on everything, so there may be glitches that I haven't found yet.

-Mod Merge

Although necessary I suspect that it causes problems with some of the older mods.

modmerge is only required for the GOG and Steam versions of Siege of Dragonspear to make it ready for modding. It does not have issues with WeiDU mods. (The message popping up in BWS is somewhat misleading.)

-Improved Shamanic Dance

Uses WeiDu 23901, but is easy to simply trade the setup file with a 239 version.

I would advise against it. Mods including WeiDU 23901 usually require certain features that are not yet present in WeiDU 239 or older.

@OP

The most up to date list of SoD compatible mods can probably be found in this post of the Beamdog Forums. It's still being updated on a more or less regular basis.

Might & Guile, Scales of Balance, and NPC_EE are all working with SoD and the new versions of BGEE/BG2EE. Might & Guile just added two extremely cool (imho) features that *require* the opcodes in EE v2.0+.

Faiths & Powers is a big divine classes mod in the sand win as Divine Remix... it is not yet released, but probably only a few weeks away. It also uses some EE-only Midding features to good effect.

I think by the time EET is released the state not mods will be very strong. Ascension is the only big one I'm not sure about, but I think people already have it working pretty well...

EDIT. I would strongly advise against using any mod with Weidu 239.01, and advise modders not to distribute it. Other mods' version of Weidu might auto-update to the new version, and it will break lots of things.

Weidu 239.01 is a beta and I believe Wisp has specifically suggested NOT to distribute it until the official update is ready.

The reason I rolled-back to 239 is because the "don't use if you're an idiot warning" in 23901 made me nervous.

However, as far as I can tell, Improved Shamanic Dance does work just fine when installed @ 239. (I know from my experience that when I first installed WeiDu I downloaded 23901 without realizing that it wasn't the one I was supposed to so I just assumed that the author in question did the same.)

EDIT. I would strongly advise against using any mod with Weidu 239.01, and advise modders not to distribute it. Other mods' version of Weidu might auto-update to the new version, and it will break lots of things.

Weidu 239.01 is a beta and I believe Wisp has specifically suggested NOT to distribute it until the official update is ready.

I agree with you in principle, but there aren't many options left if mods require features not present in the latest stable version. I don't think asking users to download the latest WeiDU beta manually would be a better option.

I agree with you in principle, but there aren't many options left if mods require features not present in the latest stable version. I don't think asking users to download the latest WeiDU beta manually would be a better option.

That is sometimes true of some updates, but are there particular features of this particular update that offer features that can't wait until the official version is released? Because there are particular things about 239.01, like the way GAME_IS is handled, that will affirmatively break other mods if one mod ships with the beta. In this particular case I think it's very bad for a mod to ship the beta version.

(That assumes that Weidu's auto-update mechanism works with the beta. I.e. if you ship a mod and my mod installer finds and uses 239.01, it will break my mod. But if Weidu detects that it's an unsupported beta and only uses it for the mod it came with, while still allowing my mod to use the latest official release, then it would be fine.

I don't know how it works; so I figure, bestvtonstay on the safe side, since it's not just s matter of how your mod works but of possibly breaking other people's mods. Especially if, as noted above, the mod in question works perfectly well with the official release. In that case shipping the beta is just irresponsible.)

WeiDU betas are considered in the auto-update process? I never noticed that before. In that case you're right for this particular mod.

I don't know if they are or they are not. I don't know enough about how Weidu works. But given the drastic changes in how this particular beta deals with GAME_IS (changes which may be reverted in the official release) I just think it's best to play it safe at this particular juncture.

WeiDU betas are considered in the auto-update process? I never noticed that before. In that case you're right for this particular mod.

Yes, WeiDU auto-updated to 239.01 in my tests and that's why I'm withholding the new release for Finch (unfortunately I need 239.01 or later to fix the journal entries in BG:EE with the latest patch).

-BGEE Classic Movies

It creates an old style Baldur configuration file, that after running the game I simply added .bak to the end of.

Noted, thanks. I'll add it to my to-do list. I have yet to test BG:EE Classic Movies since v2, so if you notice anything else that needs to be updated or that can be improved, please let me know on the forum.

-Sam.

Archived