How do i change the Icons

Imiona

Hello

I'm interested in changing the (awful) Item Icons in the Game but i have no Idea how to do it.

For example, if i want to make the Sword Icon in the Game look like this or a Potion look like this ,how do i do that ( with Near Infinity, thats the only Programm i can think of i could possible wreap my head around).

Is this even possible at all?

Thx

Go to Near Infinity, find the ability you want to replace the icon for, find the BAM file currently used, click on View/Edit, extract the contents as image files, open them in an image editor to see the dimensions - e.g. spell icons have to be 32 x 32 pixels. Make a picture of your own no larger than the corresponding icon, save it as a 256-color png (safest bet), make one color transparent, then open the BAM you dislike, delete all the frames inside, import your png into it, make a new cycle with 1 frame, save the BAM under the same filename in the override folder.

The procedure is straightforward, the problem is making icons that look good when they are so small. I had some gray hair from wrestling with icons.

For example, if i want to make the Sword Icon in the Game look ...

Which icon are you talking about ? Cause the individual sword icon the character uses in their hand is different than the one the game uses if you have multiple characters selected and want to group command them all to attack a target. termix talks about the former, while later is a bit harder as you have to find the icon files name from looking at the graphical user interface. Depending on what version of the game you are intending to edit, looking the name of the file can vary ... it can be in .chu or .UI file.

You have to have new BAM files for the item's inventory picture. In bg games they start with I. For example ILEAT01 is for leather armor, IIRC.

There is the improved bams mod that has all the bg2 item bam files. You can use them in bg1 or iwd1, for example. Bg2 item bams are a bit different than bg1 and iwd1. Simply dropping the isomething.bam files into override folder allows you to use the desired new icon picture for the corresponding item. Dltcep or nearinfinity lets you check each and every item and note its bam file name.

Iwd2 is hugely different, with a more photo-realistic approach to item bams. I took the Isomething.bam files from iwd2 and renamed them to bg2 format, a very time consuming process, because iwd2 uses different item bam names, and put it into my bg2 game. Even into bg2:ee and ipad, they work. It was cool for a day or two but then I deleted the bam files and reverted to original bg2 bams thanks to improved bams mod. Original bg2 bams have a charm to them in my eyes, reminds me of the good old times I fell in love with bg2.

Hello

I'm interested in changing the (awful) Item Icons in the Game but i have no Idea how to do it.

For example, a Potion look like this ,how do i do that ( with Near Infinity, thats the only Programm i can think of i could possible wreap my head around).

Is this even possible at all?

Thx

I have already ported those potion pictures as bam files for my mod. If you want them, no problem. ;)

Archived