Make party member hostile without initiating dialogue

jemapa

I don't care what I'm *supposed* to do, and haven't since kindergarten. Ah, those were sweet times. But now that I'm grown out of buttoned shorts, when I find a potentially very powerful tool, I use it.

Temnix, speaking as a player and dabbler in scripting, I appreciate you sharing an interesting and somewhat obscure detail about how the engine works and how it can be used to solve a problem that someone asked for help solving.

I do not appreciate that when other solutions were offered and criticisms were levied on your proposal, you responded dismissively and disrespectfully. Specifically, I think it was disrespectful when you wrote "you are pontificating out of your ass" - which seems to malign not just the content but also the intent.

I appreciate that others expanded on the information you offered and suggested reasons why an alternative solution might be preferred.

You made a general claim ("There is no need to restore any scripts for the Area tier either, because creatures have nothing there normally.") but did not acknowledge Fiann's counter-example and the cautionary point that other creatures might do the same. That is fine; you are not required to acknowledge it. But in your next post on this thread, the fact that you didn't acknowledge it combined with what you did say led me to the impression that you don't care if what you do has the potential to cause problems, as long as it accomplishes your goal. That seems to imply that you don't value cooperation with other modders. I doubt that's actually what you meant, so I'm just giving you this feedback on how it was received and I invite you to clarify what you meant if it was something different from my interpretation here.

As a member of this community, it is my fervent hope that we can all respect and encourage and support one another in our creative efforts to extend these games we all enjoy.

Note: I had a few drinks, please treat me kindly.

I don't care what I'm *supposed* to do, and haven't since kindergarten. Ah, those were sweet times. But now that I'm grown out of buttoned shorts, when I find a potentially very powerful tool, I use it.

By all means. My post was rather directed at those who may read this thread and take your word for it without additional consideration.

agb1, understand that I'm not here to please. I'm here to learn and to share information, if I have any to spare and I feel that it is relevant - and if I am dead sure I can back up my words. This board serves its purpose while it gets mods done and people's thinking on possibilities expands. So it is beside the point whether something seems to be outside of an etiquette that I never agreed to. Someone who claims to know without knowing is going to hear about it. In the case of the Area-tier scripts for creatures, I have by this point worked extensively with them, I know that system's limitations and a few of the possibilities it offers. One limitation is that in Siege of Dragonspear very many creatures, more than ought to in my opinion, have Override-level scripts, so Area scripts have fewer chances to come in. But it is not really a serious argument against the usefulness of this "hidden AI slot" that a couple of guards at Copper Coronet have scripts in that slot. And the fact that Area scripts cannot be edited from the CRE panel in Near Infinity is a very good thing - this keeps the slot free to use for this "extra" AI control.

Of course, the OP is free to use whichever option he/she likes. But I feel at liberty drawing attention to a solution that is more powerful rather than to those that are simpler.

And the fact that Area scripts cannot be edited from the CRE panel in Near Infinity is a very good thing - this keeps the slot free to use for this "extra" AI control.

It's also not mentioned in IESDP. So where exactly is the area script saved (which CRE offset)? Or maybe it's not permanent change (loast after re-load), so it's not saved in CRE file? If it's a part of the CRE structure than I think both NI and IESDP should present this slot exactly the same way as any other script slot.

afaik only the iwd2 cre format stores it itself. If you want to set it elsewhere, you need an embedded creature and that's also where you can set the script. IESDP has it in its ending unused pile, but at least DLTCEP exposes it.

Temnix is right about saying there is an area script slot. He is just incorrect about "discovering it first" but what"s worse being arrogant about it.

This script has always been there (between override and class) just like the DV set by an .are file

NI shows it correctly in the creatures stored with an .are.

It cannot be assigned in cre files.

And it is not useable for much but for scripting contents for THIS specific creature in THIS specific area. Not sure if there is a command to change/assign/remove it via script in game. Of course it does not work on summons etc...

PS the only way so far that I found any use for it was in mod created areas for mod created individuals to script some cutscene contents for that creature, e.g. have one specific ogre mage execute something outside the *normally* assigned ogre mage scripts.

Temnix is right about saying there is an area script slot. He is just incorrect about "discovering it first" but what"s worse being arrogant about it.

This script has always been there (between override and class) just like the DV set by an .are file

NI shows it correctly in the creatures stored with an .are.

It cannot be assigned in cre files.

And it is not useable for much but for scripting contents for THIS specific creature in THIS specific area. Not sure if there is a command to change/assign/remove it via script in game. Of course it does not work on summons etc...

PS the only way so far that I found any use for it was in mod created areas for mod created individuals to script some cutscene contents for that creature, e.g. have one specific ogre mage execute something outside the *normally* assigned ogre mage scripts.

Of course it is assignable, it even sticks to that creature till its end of life (or till it is changed to something else).

1. by scripts or dialogs: 60 ChangeAIScript(S:ScriptFile*,I:Level*Scrlev) - this is what was already discussed in this topic

2. by opcode 82, you can even create a standalone creature which has an area script set by an embedded effect. (So, technically, it is assignable in .cre files).

The creature will have the area script set in its area header, in the unlikely case it moves to a new area, it will carry the script over to the new area (header).

Archived