[Fixed] Spell casting in armor bug or oversight

underdog

1. Just had Cromwell upgrade my Ankheg plat mail to improved platemail, (useful Items)

and the new armor doesn't have an arcane miscast falure rate, did that right before stopping last night so didn't try to cast in the new armor yet so don't know if it fails or not.

2. why would plate armor have 40% and full plate have 35% ?

Full plate implies it's even bigger bulkier then plate.

Yeah, but then again, you've also got the issue that much of the gear will be damaged in the battle, the gear won't fit the player, etc. There are lots of little details which are not covered, and you have to assume that they are taken care of. Having armor properly fit to a person is just one such of those details.

Guest raithe
Then surely we can equally assume that all the regular plate mail we pick up "happens to fit"? (And let's not forget the game balance argument.)

(I know this is kind of an old thread but I think there is a little confusion here and I noticed no else mentioned this elsewhere. I also make armor so its a pet peeve)

Go check out one of the books on historical armor and you'll see why quickly.

Plate mail and full (or field) plate aren't even the same thing. Bioware did the graphics wrong, but plate MAIL is just that, a seires of interlocking plates just as chain mail is interlocking chain links. (look at diablo2 if you don't have access to a library their picture is a lot closer to the real thing) full plate is the excalibur style big shiny metal monster armor. Its jointed and solid so the weight is more evenly distributed and its easier to move in (though its still not easy believe me.) scale mail is nearly the same as plate mail but the plates overlap. (better armor IMO) I think this is just another one of those AD&D "we didn't really think this out and it's too late now" mishaps kinda like the leather armor / studded leather thing. Most leather armor was boiled and is hard as a rock. Its not easy to move in. Studded leather as far as I know never existed. The closet thing I've seen is brigandine (like plate mail but the plates are riveted to a soft leather or suede backing) sometimes it was made inside out per se with the rivets facing out and plates in. Its still easier to move and be more quiet than boiled leather by a long shot. (both boiled leather and brigandine appear as seperate armor types in later supplements like combat and tactics BTW odd) oh well its fantasy you make some allowances. /end rant

Then surely we can equally assume that all the regular plate mail we pick up "happens to fit"? (And let's not forget the game balance argument.)

While not true of mundane armours, magical armour I believed is meant to be able to resize itself slightly to fit the occupant.

Not sure how relevant that is, but still. :thumbsup:

Items from Wes' Item Upgrade received ttheir penalties, but their descriptions were not covered in the various description update components. I've added updated descriptions for Item Upgrade in G3 Tweaks v12.

For the plate/full plate discussion, my understanding of full plate was that, despite being heavier, it is actually a lot easier in which to get around for the reasons cited above--better weight distribution and fitting. Is it cheesy given the circumstances under which most armor in BG/BG2 is "acquired"? Yes. But it's not practical to try and assign different penalties to full plate depending on whether its purchased (and presumed tailored) or when it's looted or stolen.

Archived