Time of Icewind Dale Content's Availability in the BG Campaign [SoD and IWD spoilers]

Yes, Island Quest from TotSC sounds best for me as well, and I imagine with EET you could even start it after Sarevok's death? I don't know, because only in February I have finished my first playthrough of the clean BGEE and now I'm only in the middle of SoD, so I don't know how would IWD fit at the end of it.

While IWD is itself removed enough from BG that IWD-in-EET could easily just change a few names and handwave that it's set contemporaneously as BG, IWD2's plot is too interwoven with the events of the first game set several decades later for the mod to do the same with both. My preference has always been to have the plot of IWD1 be a time travel scenario while IWD2 is set during the events of BG. It makes the most sense with the least amount of rewrites needed.

But, but... I am not so sure the END of IWD2 is even featured in the IWD-in-EET, as I would remember something to the effect of parts of IWD2, not the entire story.

Actually, I have not played enough of IWD2 to know ... but I have read that the end of IWD2 features the IWD1's tower structure.. yes, I know the name, but I can avoid spoilers like this. ..so it might not even be there, it might just a medium sized distraction within the dales.

Why I didn't play further than the Black Raven Monastery... the games ruleset got bad before it, and then worse. But none of it touched the IWD1's stuff, yes, I know the later parts will, but does that matter. No. And if done well, the distraction could be well hitch into the IWD1 stuff.

2 hours ago, AWizardDidIt said:

While IWD is itself removed enough from BG that IWD-in-EET could easily just change a few names and handwave that it's set contemporaneously as BG, IWD2's plot is too interwoven with the events of the first game set several decades later for the mod to do the same with both. My preference has always been to have the plot of IWD1 be a time travel scenario while IWD2 is set during the events of BG. It makes the most sense with the least amount of rewrites needed.

My preference would be to scuttle IWD2 and just have IWD1 concurrent with BG.  But alas, that seems like it won't be possible...

1 hour ago, subtledoctor said:

My preference would be to scuttle IWD2 and just have IWD1 concurrent with BG.  But alas, that seems like it won't be possible...

Also fair :p

Although in this case I think the way I wrote the transition for Kathos was a sort of spell to relive the events of IWD rather than literal time travel. I'm not sure if that's still the case since I've not been involved in this project for a while but I thought it was an elegant way to handle it that avoided most of the pitfalls of time travel in fiction.

Don't get me wrong, I fully approve of that.  It's a question of choosing between several very nice options.

I can't use this anyway, without some serious tinkering.  I'd love to have access to the code, so I could start that tinkering now, and be able to actually play it sometime within my lifetime... but that doesn't seem likely either.

9 hours ago, AWizardDidIt said:

Also fair :p

Although in this case I think the way I wrote the transition for Kathos was a sort of spell to relive the events of IWD rather than literal time travel. I'm not sure if that's still the case since I've not been involved in this project for a while but I thought it was an elegant way to handle it that avoided most of the pitfalls of time travel in fiction.

So long as I get to find XP and treasure in my possession due to that "reliving", that's good with me too. Magic can do funky things. 

I'm easy. I just don't want a bunch of hand wringing to unnecessarily delay the project.

10 hours ago, Lightbringer said:

So long as I get to find XP and treasure in my possession due to that "reliving", that's good with me too. Magic can do funky things. 

I'm easy. I just don't want a bunch of hand wringing to unnecessarily delay the project.

Yes, XP and treasure are definitely meant to be carried back from IWD :) 

17 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

Don't get me wrong, I fully approve of that.  It's a question of choosing between several very nice options.

I can't use this anyway, without some serious tinkering.  I'd love to have access to the code, so I could start that tinkering now, and be able to actually play it sometime within my lifetime... but that doesn't seem likely either.

I think we are all feeling that one :(