Unearthed Arcana presents Faiths & Powers: Gods of the Realms

I'd like to offer a few suggestions:

1. Beast Lord

Abilities:

- May cast "Beast Claw" as an innate ability, at will.

- 20% of all Beast Claw attacks cause infection upon a failed save vs. Death, weakening the target and causing 10% chance of spell failure.

- At 6th level the Beast Lord's control over his lycantrophic condition improves and now, in place of Beast Claw, they may shapeshift into a hybrid Werewolf once per day. The Beast Lord gains an additional use every two levels, to a maximum of seven uses per day at level 20. The concentrated effort required to maintain the form makes the Beast Lord unable to cast any spells while under its effect.

- The Werewolf form increases in power to that of a Greater Werewolf at 12th level and a Werewolf Lord at 18th.

Restrictions:

- The Beast Lord cannot contain his bestial nature completely and is prone to losing control. At 6th level there is a 50% chance he will lose himself to bloodlust and become uncontrollable, this improves to a 25% chance at 12th level and finally 5% at 18th.

Comments:

- These changes would potentially promote stance shifting between a powerful melee form and a weak spellcaster, which could create interesting tactical options.

- The added Berserk-like malus would, on the other hand, offset the powerful effects the Werewolf form provides. It could be similar in effect to Minsc's Berserk. As an added bonus it fits the class lore very well.

- Perhaps they should be allowed to wear armour up to the Studded Leather, if only to add some spice to itemization?

2. Champion of Sune

Knights of the Order of the Ruby Rose: Paladins of Lady Firehair are seekers of beauty and ardent followers of the romantic ideals. This, however, should not be mistaken for weakness, as few can match their burning passion and tenacity in the defence of the things they cherish.

Abilities:

- Major access to the spheres of: All, Protection, Knowledge, Exploration, Light, Benediction and Thought.

- Minor access to the spheres of: Vigor, Fire, Life, Deception, Magic and War.

- Endless Devotion: Knights of the Order of the Ruby Rose are completely devoted to their Goddess and as such they are immune to any Charm effects.

- Can cast Sune's Kiss as a special ability once per day. The Knight of the Order of the Ruby Rose gains an additional use at levels 4, 8, 12, 16 and 20.

SUNE'S KISS: When used on hostile creatures outside of good moral alignment, they must make a Saving Throw against vs. Spell or be held for 1 turn or become blinded if they make the throw. If used on party members, this spell will instead instead remove fear effects, make the target immune to them for 1 turn as well as heals them for a small amount.

- Can cast Radiant Beauty as a special ability once per day, starting from 6th level. The Knight of the Order of the Ruby Rose gains an additional use at levels 10, 14, 16 and 20.

RADIANT BEAUTY: Once the spell is cast, the The Knight of the Order of the Ruby Rose becomes a living conduit of Sune's beauty. Hostile targets must make a Saving Throw against vs. Spell with a +3 bonus or fell under the effect similar to Domination, albeit with half its duration. With a successful roll the recipients will instead lie down in awe for 1 round. All fellow party members gain +2 morale, +1 to hit, +5 temporary hit points and 2 to all saving throws for 6 rounds.

Restrictions:

- Any Good.

- Knight of the Order of the Ruby Rose must maintain reputation of 8 or fall.

Comments:

- A kit pretty much made for Isra NPC, as the Zealot of Sune didn't seem to fit well :)

- Not sure the abilities can be constructed in the proposed way (affecting both allies and hostiles).  But I think that those dual effects work well with lore of the class - inspiration to the group and a terrible sight to everyone else.

- Both abilities could probably be improved, but I ran out of ideas :)

@Hypaspist those are good ideas.  I agree we need a proper paladin of Sune kit, for Isra.  I've been buried in spontaneous casting stuff, haven't had time for stuff like new kits.

And changes for the Beast Lord are already on my to-do list.  The Beast Claw ability will be removed - that is now one of the signature abilities of the new Cleric of Malar kit.  I'm pondering some other stuff for the Beast Lord - like, an innate no-save ability to Dominate wolves.  And maybe at high levels, the ability to transform allied wolves into werewolves :O ...And maybe the opposite as well: the ability to transform enemy werewolves into pure wolf form.

I agree that a chance to lose control while in werewolf form is a great idea, if done well.  Something like Minsc's berserk ability, where you lose control, but if there are no enemies around you settle down.  With like a ~5% chance to lose control every round, with the berserk state lasting only 1-2 rounds.  (Basically, to translate into PnP, you would have to roll a d20 every round, and if you roll a 1 then you lose control for that round.)  Most of the time, even if you lose control, you will still probably attack your enemy; so this will be more for flavor than a huge gameplay change.  The only time it will matter much would be if the uncontrolled state happens on a round in which you want to disengage or move or something, then your ability to do so would be delayed by 6 seconds.  Not the end of the world, but it would add just a touch of extra tension to battles.  (Note to self, this would be an interesting condition for the Berserker kit.)

10 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

@Hypaspist those are good ideas.  I agree we need a proper paladin of Sune kit, for Isra.  I've been buried in spontaneous casting stuff, haven't had time for stuff like new kits.

Are those proposed dual abilities possible, by the way? Some effects seem to work that way (Holy Smite), but it seems to be alignment-related.

If you're interested, I could try helping you out with the kits, I'll have some free time starting next week :)

On that note - what if all the BG2 companions got their unique classes? Some of them are already done - like Watcher of Helm for Anomen, Beast Lord for Cernd, Haer'dalis could be an Agent etc.

For example, Aerie could receive her mage/priest multiclass called Wildwanderer (after her chosen Deity, Baervan Wildwanderer), focused on nature and illusion spells.

And changes for the Beast Lord are already on my to-do list.  The Beast Claw ability will be removed - that is now one of the signature abilities of the new Cleric of Malar kit.  I'm pondering some other stuff for the Beast Lord - like, an innate no-save ability to Dominate wolves.  And maybe at high levels, the ability to transform allied wolves into werewolves :O ...And maybe the opposite as well: the ability to transform enemy werewolves into pure wolf form.

How about giving them ability to summon:

- At 1st level - two regular wolves.

- At 4th level - a large pack of regular wolves.

- At 6th level - a pack of dread wolves.

- At 12th level - a pack of vampiric wolves.

- At 18th level - a few hybrid werewolves.

Or something to that effect.

I agree that a chance to lose control while in werewolf form is a great idea, if done well.  Something like Minsc's berserk ability, where you lose control, but if there are no enemies around you settle down.  With like a ~5% chance to lose control every round, with the berserk state lasting only 1-2 rounds.  (Basically, to translate into PnP, you would have to roll a d20 every round, and if you roll a 1 then you lose control for that round.)  Most of the time, even if you lose control, you will still probably attack your enemy; so this will be more for flavor than a huge gameplay change.  The only time it will matter much would be if the uncontrolled state happens on a round in which you want to disengage or move or something, then your ability to do so would be delayed by 6 seconds.  Not the end of the world, but it would add just a touch of extra tension to battles.  (Note to self, this would be an interesting condition for the Berserker kit.)

Yeah, exactly. It will not be terribly annoying to deal with that, but will add some spice to the fights. What do you think about making the chance to lose control decrease as they level up? Another idea is to have a HLA that will increase the daily uses of the werewolf form, at the cost of bigger chance to lose control etc.

1 hour ago, Hypaspist said:

Are those proposed dual abilities possible, by the way? Some effects seem to work that way (Holy Smite), but it seems to be alignment-related.

Yes, the spells can be cast on an area, and the targets side(hostile, ally) can be used as a trigger for effects. Save vs held will also, at failure, mean that they will also be blinded. So it's not one or another, it's Both or just one.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola
23 minutes ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

Yes, the spells can be cast on an area, and the targets side(hostile, ally) can be used as a trigger for effects. Save vs held will also, at failure, mean that they will also be blinded. So it's not one or another, it's Both or just one.

That uses two subspells with AoE projectiles, where the projectiles handle whether the spell affects allies or enemies.  I'm not sure how easy it would be to replicate that with a single-target spell.  Anyway, I'm not sure how necessary it is... the daylight between a single-target innate ability that affects allies and enemies differently, and having two separate innate abilities, is pretty thin.

2 hours ago, Hypaspist said:

How about giving [the beast lord] the ability to summon:

- At 1st level - two regular wolves.

- At 4th level - a large pack of regular wolves.

- At 6th level - a pack of dread wolves.

- At 12th level - a pack of vampiric wolves.

- At 18th level - a few hybrid werewolves.

Yeah, it makes sense for them to have distinct summons compared to the normal spells in the Animal sphere.  Similar to how I just gave the Hivekeeper insect- and spider-related summons in place of the various dogs, wolves, cats and bears, I could give the Beast Lord special wolf-only summons.  Something like:

• summon 1 wolf
  • summon 2 wolves
  • summon 2 worgs
  • summon 2-3 dire wolves
  • summon 1 wolfwere
  • summon 2 wolfweres

...something like that

2 hours ago, Hypaspist said:

On that note - what if all the BG2 companions got their unique classes? Some of them are already done - like Watcher of Helm for Anomen, Beast Lord for Cernd, Haer'dalis could be an Agent etc.  For example, Aerie could receive her mage/priest multiclass called Wildwanderer (after her chosen Deity, Baervan Wildwanderer), focused on nature and illusion spells.

Missed this - it already exists.  FNP has a single-class kit for Baervan Wildwanderer, and if you install FnP_Multiclass it will add a C/M version of it.  Then you can install "Apply FnP Kits to NPCs" and Aerie will get the CM kit for Baervan.

17 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

That uses two subspells with AoE projectiles, where the projectiles handle whether the spell affects allies or enemies.  I'm not sure how easy it would be to replicate that with a single-target spell.

Very easy, you just make the area of effect a tiny point. And use very fast projectile speeds.

Summons ... these's a spell that causes all that, Animate dead. Well, almost.

18 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

That uses two subspells with AoE projectiles, where the projectiles handle whether the spell affects allies or enemies.  I'm not sure how easy it would be to replicate that with a single-target spell.  Anyway, I'm not sure how necessary it is... the daylight between a single-target innate ability that affects allies and enemies differently, and having two separate innate abilities, is pretty thin.

True enough, it'd be easier to just make two versions of the spell, one for party members, other for hostiles, though it's not as elegant. And you'd have way more uses then.

18 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

Yeah, it makes sense for them to have distinct summons compared to the normal spells in the Animal sphere.  Similar to how I just gave the Hivekeeper insect- and spider-related summons in place of the various dogs, wolves, cats and bears, I could give the Beast Lord special wolf-only summons.  Something like:

• summon 1 wolf
  • summon 2 wolves
  • summon 2 worgs
  • summon 2-3 dire wolves
  • summon 1 wolfwere
  • summon 2 wolfweres

...something like that

Yeah, I think that'd fit the class lore very well - and, well, Werewolf Lord has to have someone to lord over, right? :)

9 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

Missed this - it already exists.  FNP has a single-class kit for Baervan Wildwanderer, and if you install FnP_Multiclass it will add a C/M version of it.  Then you can install "Apply FnP Kits to NPCs" and Aerie will get the CM kit for Baervan.

You're right, I forgot that this class is open to gnomes only :) My offer to help out with the Champion of Sune/Beast Lord still stands though!

Mod version numbering is weird.

I've just issued an update of the mod; it doesn't add much in the way of new content, but it includes changes that touch a lot of files in the heart of the mod's systems.  So for not much reason, I'm going to bump the number and call it version 0.79.

CHANGES: well, the main change is that I have taken the work I put into multiclass shamans and sorcerers, and abstracted it into a function, which can be applied to any kit.  Add a single line of code:

LAF fnp_spontaneous STR_VAR kit_clab = ~d5clmys~ learn_res = ~d5cmysz~ END

...And any cleric, druid, paladin or ranger kit can thereafter learn and cast spells just like a sorcerer or shaman.  And in fact, I've added that code to every single blessed kit in the mod, tucked behind a conditional clause.  The conditional clause refers to the settings.ini file, which has a new section:

Spoiler

298287875_ScreenShot2019-12-12at12_33_19AM.png.c590dace4848000faa1c0de5124b8ce9.png

You can decide when you install the mod which kits, if any, should be spontaneous casters.  You could make all druids cast that way, to really differentiate them from clerics with more than just spell choice.  You could have all zealots cast spontaneously, or all kits connected to the dwarven gods.  It's up to you.  By default, I've set the following kits to be spontaneous casters:

• the six elemental 'mystic' kits
  • the cleric of Mystra
  • the zealot of Mystra
  • the cleric/thief of Brandobaris
  • the Barbarian Ranger

This is now fully plugged into the sphere system - and in fact, for now, it only works with the sphere system.  (That may change in the future - there are some technical issues to overcome.)  For spontaneous casters, instead of determining which spells they can cast, their sphere selection determines the group of spells that they can learn to cast.  The Universal/All sphere of spells (Bless/Chant/Prayer etc.) are learned automatically, and not counted against the limit of spells you can learn.  (That may change in the future, there are some technical issues to overcome.)  Additionally, these kits behave a bit differently with regard to Focus access to a sphere.  Instead of casting them a level lower, those spells are simply learned automatically and for free, at their normal level.  If you install the FnP_Multiclass mod, then any multiclass clerics it creates will learn and cast spells via the same mechanism as their single-class versions, according to the .ini settings.

Note: FnP uses its own spell table for paladins and rangers, giving them access to spells much earlier - at 3rd level - but slowing down their advancement to higher-level casting.  With normal spellcasting, you can change this as you see fit - use CDTweaks later to give them the IWD spell table, and they will work fine together.  However, if you set a paladin or ranger kit to be a spontaneous caster, then it can no longer use an easily-edited .2da file for its spell table.  So it cannot be changed - those kits MUST use the FnP spell table.  (EDIT - now that I think about it, this is true for clerics too: you cannot change their spell advancement or number of spell slots with some other mod.)

I've marked this as a 'pre-release' because, as I said, this required a bit of mucking about deep in the heart of the mod's systems, and there are a LOT of different configurations that needed testing.  It seemed to be working in my tests, but I can't test every single kit, single- and multi-class, with every variant sphere system, with usability changes and without, etc. etc.  So I guess, use at your own risk. If you don't really care about sorcerer-style casting then 0.78sd9.2 is pretty stable.  If you're more adventuresome, then take this version for a ride and let us know if you find anything astray.

Cheers

Edited by subtledoctor

Do any and which of those have individual kits have a special spell learning (amount) tables ? Similar like Sorcerer has the splsrckn.2da and Shamans has splshmkn.2da .

And what is each ones ? I for one appeciate a "sphere+" system, I would call this to be. You might want to remove a little more of the restrictions. Unless it's exactly opposite school.

3 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

Mod version numbering is weird.

... So for not much reason, I'm going to bump the number

Yeah, that usually help.

2 hours ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

Do any and which of those have individual kits have a special spell learning (amount) tables ? Similar like Sorcerer has the splsrckn.2da and Shamans has splshmkn.2da 

They use a slightly-modified version of splshmkn.2da. Basically  priests can know up to 4 spells per level (for paladins/rangers, 3/level), plus All/Universal spells and any Focus sphere spells. This is changeable before installing, but at install-time it is encoded into the spell-learning UI function, and it cannot be changed after that.  Functionally, this means you can know ~6-8 spells per level, 4 of which are choosable. (If and when I set up Universal spells to not be given automatically, they will be treated like any other spells and I’ll bump the known spells limit to 5.)

So, is the file in the game files and used from there ? Or ... as one can modify it even during gameplay(as long as you quit the game for a few minutes) and have it's effect implied during next level up. As long as it's additive. And one could remove a learned spell and get a replacement during level up as well, if it doesn't exceed the max amount.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

No. As I say, you can edit it before installation of the mod, not after. It gets baked into the modded UI mechanism used for spell learning. You can read more about it here. (Theoretically I guess you could change the limit by altering some value in one of the M_SQ____.LUA files... but you would have to ask Kjeron about that.)

Spell slots are even more locked-down at install time. They are actually recorded in opcode 233 effects increasing proficiency in the upper bytes of stats 108 and 134. You would have to apply one if those spells in order to increase casting slots.

Edited by subtledoctor
11 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

They use a slightly-modified version of splshmkn.2da... which is then made into a install time function that can't be altered after it's install.

Is what you should have said. I understand the difficulty, at least a bit, don't worry...

2 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

Spell slots are even more locked-down at install time. They are actually recorded in opcode 233 effects increasing proficiency in the upper bytes of stats 108 and 134. You would have to apply one if those spells in order to increase casting slots.

Hmm, and why wouldn't opcode 42, 64's effects work ? In a clabxxx.2da -file ... sorry about the derail. I'll stop.

11 hours ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

Hmm, and why wouldn't opcode 42, 64's effects work ? In a clabxxx.2da -file ... sorry about the derail. I'll stop.

Opcode 42 and 62 affect spell memorization slots... but this doesn't use memorization slots.  In fact the kit has all of its memorization slots permanently stripped away.  Instead, the number of slots is recorded in the value of a proficiency.  You can read this to see how the idea came into being.  All your spells are actually innate abilities, which happen to live under the "spells" button.  Whenever you cast one of them,

• It applies a 172 effect for every castable "spell," to remove them from you. 
  • Then it reduces the proficiency by one unit, and then checks the remaining proficiency value. 
  • Then it applies a subspell with opcode 171 giving you every castable spell, in an amount equal to the new proficiency value. 
  • But, you have been affected earlier by spells with opcode 206, each of which block one of those opcode 171 subspells.
  • When you "learn" a spell, you don't actually learn the spell; it just applies opcode 321 to cancel the opcode 206 spell corresponding to the learned spell.

So, every time you cast a spell, it removes all your spells, then immediately gives you back every spell that you have learned, in amount equal to your remaining "spell slots," i.e. the proficiency value.  The proficiency reduction that happens each time you cast, is accomplished via a subspell; and every time you wake up after a full night's sleep, those reduction subspells are canceled by opcode 321.  So you regain all your "spell slots."  The result is, it looks and acts and feels exactly the same as casting spells with a sorcerer.

As far as actually getting "spell slots" in the first place, it must be done by applying opcode 233 in the CLAB table:

SPLSLOTS    AP_D5SRC1A  AP_D5SRC1D  AP_D5SRC1E  AP_D5SRC1F  AP_D5SRC2D  AP_D5SRC2E  AP_D5SRC2F  AP_D5SRC3E  AP_D5SRC3F  AP_D5SRC4E  AP_D5SRC4F  AP_D5SRC5E  AP_D5SRC5F  AP_D5SRC6E  AP_D5SRC6F  AP_D5SRC7E  AP_D5SRC7F  ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        **** 
SPLSLOTS    AP_D5SRC1B  ****        ****        AP_D5SRC2A  ****        AP_D5SRC3A  AP_D5SRC3D  AP_D5SRC4A  AP_D5SRC4D  AP_D5SRC5A  AP_D5SRC5D  AP_D5SRC6A  AP_D5SRC6D  AP_D5SRC7A  AP_D5SRC7D  ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        **** 
SPLSLOTS    AP_D5SRC1C  ****        ****        AP_D5SRC2B  ****        AP_D5SRC3B  ****        AP_D5SRC4B  ****        AP_D5SRC5B  ****        AP_D5SRC6B  ****        AP_D5SRC7B  ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        **** 
SPLSLOTS    ****        ****        ****        AP_D5SRC2C  ****        AP_D5SRC3C  ****        AP_D5SRC4C  ****        AP_D5SRC5C  ****        AP_D5SRC6C  ****        AP_D5SRC7C  ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        **** 

The number is the spell level, and the letter corresponds to the number of "spell slots" you have at that level.  In this case each level goes up to 'F' so you will get 6 spell slots per level.  If you want to change this, you can't do it by any .2da table.  You have to apply d5src1g, d5src1h, d5src1i, etc.

+Spell slot items like the Ring of Holiness are simply patched to apply an opcode 233 effect increasing the relevant proficiencies, with 'while equipped' timing.

Edited by subtledoctor