Unearthed Arcana presents Faiths & Powers: Gods of the Realms

Updated Beast Lord proposal:

1. Beast Lord

Abilities:

- Focus access to the sphere of: Animal.

- Major access to the spheres of: All, Exploration, Thought, Vigor, Affliction.

- Minor access to the spheres of: Life, Death, Dread, Water and Shadow.

- May summon his pack to aid him in battle:

• 1st level - 1 wolf,
  • 3rd level - 2 wolves,
  • 6th level - 2 worgs,
  • 8th level - 2-3 dire wolves,
  • 12th level - 1 wolfwere,
  • 18th level - 2 wolfweres.

- At 6th level the Beast Lord may shapeshift into a hybrid Werewolf twice per day. The Beast Lord gains an additional use every two levels, to a maximum of eight uses per day at level 20. The concentrated effort required to maintain the form makes the Beast Lord unable to cast any spells while under its effect.

- The Werewolf form increases in power to that of a Greater Werewolf at 12th level and a Werewolf Lord at 18th.

– Can cast Rabies special ability once per day at 9th level. Beast Lord gains additional uses at levels 14 and 18.

RABIES: With his touch, the Beast Lord spreads the effects of his lycantrophic condition to a single, living creature. Every two rounds the disease causes a permanent -2 penalty to all stats (up to 6 to all stats) and causes slow. If the target fails a saving throw against Poison at -2, it loses an ability to cast spells and will immediately attack the closest target, friend and foe alike.

Restrictions:

- The Beast Lord cannot contain his bestial nature completely and is prone to losing control while shapeshifted into a werewolf. At 6th level there is a 25% chance he will lose himself to bloodlust and become uncontrollable, this improves to a 10% chance at 12th level and finally 5% at 18th.

- May not wear any armour.

Edited by Hypaspist

A couple of bug reports on the shamans (v.0.79.3).

-Can't learn spells: in the spell knowledge UI i can click on spells, but the slot doesn't get filled; the memorize button is active but clicking it does nothing.  EDIT: sorry, didn't realize that at first level the shamans are not supposed to gan spells. The UI actually works when there's a spell to learn.

The shamanic dance is a bit.. weird. There doesn't seem to be a limit to the spirits summoned. I left my character for a few minutes, and then Candlekeep was overrun with more than 30 snakes, foxes, and wolves. Maybe this is intended, because is actually pretty cool 😆. The real problem is, I can't cancel the ability: once started, the special abilities button is grayed out, and no action can interrupt it. I can move around, talk to people, walk inside buildings, try to sneak, if i rest the spirits are unsummoned, but the ability remains active so I keep spawning them, and trying to attack someone has my character walk in place for a few seconds, before approaching whoever I'm attacking, stop there and do nothing.

The same happens for the detect illusion ability: can't cancel it whatsoever. This happens with all the shaman multiclasses.

It might be worth mentioning that I have the 'Klatu tweaks' component  2110:Treat all Innate Abilities as Non-Magical (Unaffected by Wild/Dead Magic and Silence)

Edited by Gwaihir
2 hours ago, Gwaihir said:

EDIT: sorry, didn't realize that at first level the shamans are not supposed to gan spells. The UI actually works when there's a spell to learn.

You are supposed to be able to learn a spell or two at 1st level. I’ll double-check the table. 

The shamanic dance is a bit.. weird. There doesn't seem to be a limit to the spirits summoned. I left my character for a few minutes, and then Candlekeep was overrun with more than 30 snakes, foxes, and wolves. Maybe this is intended, because is actually pretty cool 😆.

Is thus different from the normal Dance ability? I just copied the resources/settings from the vanilla .SPL. Maybe spirits are counted as normal summons, so the limit is 5? Did you remove the summoning cap with another mod?

Does anyone know whether and how the base Shaman limits its spirit summonses? 

The real problem is, I can't cancel the ability: once started, the special abilities button is grayed out, and no action can interrupt it.

The ability has to stop you using innate spells, to match vanilla limitations. So I put the ‘cancel’ ability under the item abilities/backpack button. It looks like the Shaman Dance button, but ringed with red (red for stop!). 

Same goes with Detect Illusions. Activate in innate abilities; stop it in item abilities. 

23 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

You are supposed to be able to learn a spell or two at 1st level

That's true, I have bless, cure light wounds and the spiritual shield thing. I thought i could choose more spells at lv 1 to add to the spellbook, but it's fine. The important thing is, it works.

27 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

Is thus different from the normal Dance ability?

Well, IIRC the limit for the shaman's summoned spirits is 3.. I played SOD only once, but i had M'khiin in party the entire time, and I don't remember a single instance with more than 3 spirits (they were dying pretty fast, though). Also, I do have the cdtweaks component 'remove summoning cap', so it's probably that. I guess it can be exploited a bit (bodyblocking an iron golem for example) but imho it doesn't make shamans op. I certainly don't mind.

33 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

I put the ‘cancel’ ability under the item abilities/backpack button

Dang, now I feel stupid 🤣 the button is there and it works.

Thank you Doc! I wish a merry Christmas to you and your family!

@subtledoctor Because I didn't realize my post was the last one on the fourth page in my view, I updated it with more info.  Still not sure why multiclass Fighter/Cleric kits didn't install, like Cleric of Helm.

EDIT: After installing a different set of mods, the multiclass Fighter/deity-specific Cleric kits are in!  Unsure what happened before.  (A standard Fighter/Cleric still has only the universal spells.)

Edited by Endarire
20 hours ago, Endarire said:

EDIT: After installing a different set of mods, the multiclass Fighter/deity-specific Cleric kits are in!  Unsure what happened before.  (A standard Fighter/Cleric still has only the universal spells.)

You’re not really supposed to play a cleric (including multiclass) with no deity. The bug here is that the non-denominational F/C was even in the menus.

After reinstalling with a larger mod list, we found this notable bug with F&P:

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS Multiclass Cleric kits (install AFTER all other kit mods!!)

F:\BG2EE>
Install multiclass druids (Faith and Powers Multiclass Clerics (New)) was installed successfully.

Notice how Multiclass Clerics isn't installed last.  I paused the installation to tell you this:  We haven't played with this mod list yet.

EDIT: After making a Human Cleric of Tyr, we discovered there were no Sphere spells for him!  Is this casting system depending on Multiclass Clerics to work?

Edited by Endarire
On 12/24/2019 at 5:11 AM, Endarire said:

We made a Human Fighter/Cleric with the standard F&P spheres system and he was only able to, at level 1, cast cure light and bless.  Unlike our Sor/Dru, he didn't know any other spells of any level.  (At higher levels, he know only universal sphere spells.)  There was no option to choose multiclass Fighter/Clerics of a specific deity, but single classed Clerics could be.

To expand on this a bit: there is a tension here.  The deity-less cleric can get access to a default set of spheres; if we do that by adding the spheres to CLABPR01.2da then the deity-less multiclass clerics will get them as well.  But, then ALL multiclass clerics will get them, since every multiclass kit inherits effects from the trueclass CLAb tables.  So in the most recent versions, I have applied the default spheres in a different way. 

That fixes a pretty glaring problem, but it creates a new one in that the non-denominational multiclass clerics now lack the default spheres that non-denominational single-class clerics get access to.  This is not such a big deal, beacuse, as I said, you're not supposed to be playing a non-denominational cleric.  But what if the player doesn't install the multiclass clerics?  Then there are no multiclass options, and the non-denominational multiclasses won't be hidden, and they won't get spells.  Not ideal.

I think the answer is to add a few multiclass kits in the single-class part of the mod - maybe just the ones for Lathander, Helm, and Talos.  Then add the full suite of multiclass kits with the separate multiclass add-on mod.  This sill slightly mess up the potential kit limit - it would mean possibly adding a few multiclass kits earlier than some single-class kits, which is not optimal.  But all things said and done, it's probably an acceptable compromise.

12 hours ago, Endarire said:

After reinstalling with a larger mod list, we found this notable bug with F&P:

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS Multiclass Cleric kits (install AFTER all other kit mods!!)

Well, evidently something in your larger mod list is interfering with it.  Either another mod, or the order in which you installed the mods.  I can't say without knowing more about your particular mod list.

12 hours ago, Endarire said:

EDIT: After making a Human Cleric of Tyr, we discovered there were no Sphere spells for him!  Is this casting system depending on Multiclass Clerics to work?

Nope, as stated in the first post, everything is generally modular.  You can use the sphere system with or without multiclasses, and you can use multiclasses with or without the sphere system.  As evidenced by the earlier part of your post, you have other issues going on.  (Also you mentioned "pausing" the installation... depending on when you paused it, the internal "apply sphere system to kits" component might not have run yet.)

That list is a bit weird... there are a lot of kits being installed quite late... why are so many kits being installed after MnG?  Why are kits being installed after CDTweaks?  I mean, maybe there's a reason, but I've personally never seen anyone suggest such a thing.

In any event, the logs themselves don't really tell me anything.  I mean they show a lot of mods, some of which I have not specifically tested with FnP, so it could be any of those... but I don't really have any way of knowing which.

On 12/24/2019 at 12:37 PM, Gwaihir said:

That's true, I have bless, cure light wounds and the spiritual shield thing. I thought i could choose more spells at lv 1 to add to the spellbook, but it's fine. The important thing is, it works.

No - I just confirmed, a bug I had earlier fixed made it back into the mod. It’s not game-breaking, but it delays the normal spell-learning rate for shamans and spontaneous-casting priests by two levels. Will fix soon.

The install order for our mods was assigned by EET.  Having done yet another mod installation, I noticed that the game isn't fully recognizing the new kits with my mod list.  A Cleric of Lathander, Helm, or Tempus has all the spells he should with the F&P spheres system, but other new kits didn't have their spell lists recognized.  (These Cleric kits is in the base game of BG2, which made me suspect such.)

However, Ur-Priest also installed with the relevant sphere spells.  I suspect other kits worked as well.

After EET finished on this install, I manually reinstalled the F&P Cleric kits and the installer automatically continued past just this mod and seemingly installed all mods that were chained to it afterward.

Finally, I'm confused as to why these things happened.  I expected that all Cleric kits would fail or work, but maybe only the EE-introduced kits (like Priest of Tyr) failed to be modded on this selective reinstall.  (I've not yet reinstalled Multiclass Clerics this way.  After backing up the current game files, that's next to test.  Currently, the stock Fighter/Cleric has only the basic spells and no deity-specific kits.)

Edited by Endarire
50 minutes ago, Endarire said:

The install order for our mods was assigned by EET

EET is a mod, just like this one.  It does not determine install order.  I think you are talking about Roxanne's "EET Install Tool" or whatever she calls it.  But other people might be confused by your terminology.  Best to be more specific, and be clear that you are talking about a mod manager, not a mod.

You might consider whether the install order chosen by Roxanne's Install Tool is optimal.  Install order is very important with BG mods, and I have seen Roxanne make some inadvisable choices in the past.

Frankly, you might consider not using tat mod manager at all.  I have seen you posting around here a lot... not that we don't appreciate the attention, but for your own sake, consider that if you came up with a good install order and did this all 100% manually, you might be playing right now instead of still seeking a successful install.

Having done yet another mod installation, I noticed that the game isn't fully recognizing the new kits with my mod list.  A Cleric of Lathander, Helm, or Tempus has all the spells he should with the F&P spheres system, but other new kits didn't have their spell lists recognized.  (These Cleric kits is in the base game of BG2, which made me suspect such.) However, Ur-Priest also installed with the relevant sphere spells.  I suspect other kits worked as well.

I don't know what you mean by "the new kits." (EDIT - or by "isn't fully recognizing.")  If you installed cleric kits after FnP, and those kits do not have compatibility code to work with the sphere system, then they will not be tied into the sphere system.

After EET finished on this install, I manually reinstalled the F&P Cleric kits and the installer automatically continued past just this mod and seemingly installed all mods that were chained to it afterward.

That is what is supposed to happen if you reinstall a mod from the middle of the install order; it is how Weidu is designed to work.  But, it's not a great idea, and I'm not terribly surprised that this resulted in glitches.  Why did you do this?

(In case you're not familiar: "Weidu" is a program that modifies the game files.  Most mods are more or less scripts that tell Weidu what to change and how to change it.  They almost all use Weidu.  In fact mod managers like BWS/"Install Tool"/Project Infinity do nothing more than chain together lots of instances of Weidu.  They automate the process of manually invoking Weidu for every mod, but underneath the hood, their automated systems are still invoking Weidu for every mod.)

Edited by subtledoctor

In all honesty, I don’t really trust anyone’s installers over my manual install. They tend to not keep up to date imo, not to mention I can pick and choose things.

If you would like I can show my excel sheet Endarire (I would post a weidu.log but i haven’t been able to make a new install lately). It doesn’t have everything you installed, but you can get an idea from it.