Cleric/mage NPCs start with no mage spells when using Improved NPC customisation

Following the readme,

mages and bards have their spellbooks selected from a fixed list (you don't get to choose yourself)

but it seems that cleric/mage multiclass NPCs start with 0 mage spells in the book when using the NPC customisation component. I have found this through Quayle, but it is the same case when changing other NPCs' class to a cleric/mage.

On the other hand, fighter/mages and mage/thiefs do start with the pre-selected 5-6 (not sure of the exact number, as Imoen has 6, but Xzar only 5?) spells.

Is this intended, or a bug?

Edited by tomasz86
3 hours ago, DavidW said:

It's not intended, and I'm a little unsure how it's happening. I'll take a look and see if I can reproduce it.

Thank you. Just for the record, I have tested only in BG:EE 2.5, and with no other mods installed. I checked both Imoen (forced illegal class) and Quayle, and none of them had any mage spells.

Edited by tomasz86
13 hours ago, suy said:

FWIW, I took Quayle, and I did not had any issues. I did not customize him, so he's still a Cleric/Illusionist. In case it's helpful, I did have the AI on, though I don't know if this has any influence in this case.

Did he have any spells in his mage spell book, or was it empty?

1 hour ago, suy said:

He had a standard selection, I think, but definitely not empty. That's what I meant by "no issues". :)

Hmm, that is strange. I have just tested again.

1. Create a new game.
2. CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("Quayle")
3. Add Quayle to the party.
4. Quayle's mage spell book is empty.

The same is true for Imoen as Cleric/Mage, after allowing illegal classes. Below is my WeiDU log, just in case.

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4100 // Improved NPC customisation and management: v33.4

Are you also using BG:EE v2.5?

Edited by tomasz86
59 minutes ago, tomasz86 said:

Hmm, that is strange. I have just tested again.

1. Create a new game.
2. CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("Quayle")
3. Add Quayle to the party.

Thing is, this(3) has the side effect that you are not actually activating the creature correctly, as you didn't likely talk to it, but just used the console command to add him into your party... meaning that the SCS script might not do a thing, as it's not programmed to be added via a cheat.

1 hour ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

Thing is, this(3) has the side effect that you are not actually activating the creature correctly, as you didn't likely talk to it, but just used the console command to add him into your party... meaning that the SCS script might not do a thing, as it's not programmed to be added via a cheat.

There is no difference whether he is added with the shortcut, or just through the normal dialogue option. Imoen also joins the party by herself, so there is no console or shortcut involved. It seems that the spell related script only runs when actually levelling the NPC up from level 0 anyway, as simple mages, like Xzar, also have no spells in the spell book initially, but then "gain" them after having been levelled up. On the other hand, Quayle and other cleric/mages do not.

Improved NPC customisation and management (BGEE,BG2EE,EET)

This component makes it much easier to customise NPCs and to make sure they keep up with your main character even if you swap them in and out of the group. When it is installed, NPCs (including mod-added NPCs) join your party at level zero. If you want, you can activate a special 'customise' power on their innate abilities to change their class and kit to whatever you like. After that, you can level the character to first level and choose their proficiencies, skills and the like. The character will continue levelling until they reach about the same level as your character. (The 'customise' power is unavailable once you increase above level zero.)

If you kick the NPC out of the party and subsequently re-recruit them, they will again start levelling until they reach about your character's level. (To be more precise: they are given that level which they would have if they had as much XP as you do; they get given exactly the right amount of XP to reach that level.)

Engine limitations lead to a few slight awkwardnesses with this component. Firstly, thieves don't gain quite the right number of skill points at level one. To fix this, thieves are given one-off innate abilities that allow you to increase your thief skills by the missing amount. Secondly, mages and bards have their spellbooks selected from a fixed list (you don't get to choose yourself). Thirdly, if you have the Party AI disabled, you may occasionally notice minor glitches in the amount of experience your characters receive (this will be most noticeable if you use the customise program to change a character's class). Turning AI back on (even if only briefly) will resolve this (though it is possible to get a slightly-too-high level character if you change from single-class to multiclass and then level without AI on.

This part of SCS is one that I like and dislike in equal measure my reasons for liking it is that it increase the XP for rejoining characters and allow you to pick better weapon proficiencies for warrior type characters (such as giving Khalid the crossbow instead of the longbow) however it comes with one big drawback especially for BGII:EE namely that mages only have spells as if they were lvl 1 characters

I still have this problem. I've just tested using BGEE v2.6.6.0 (from GOG), and the newest SCS v34.

Please have a look at this short video. This is a completely clean installation of the game, with only the single component installed from SCS.

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
// Recently Uninstalled: ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #100 // Install in batch mode (ask about all components before starting installation). DO NOT USE WITH PROJECT INFINITY.: 34
// Recently Uninstalled: ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4100 // Improved NPC customisation and management: 34
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4100 // Improved NPC customisation and management: 34
Edited by tomasz86

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/jnk8dxshj3aei2x/wmTgobQD2u.mp4

I have the same situation as @tomasz86 on 2.6 with v34 (and just the "Improved NPC customziation and management" component). Ignore the additional music, didn't notice it while recording (...also, no difference between Ctrl-Q-ing him and letting him join normally, of course).

Edited by Bartimaeus
5 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/jnk8dxshj3aei2x/wmTgobQD2u.mp4

I have the same situation as @tomasz86 on 2.6 with v34 (and just the "Improved NPC customziation and management" component). Ignore the additional music, didn't notice it while recording (...also, no difference between Ctrl-Q-ing him and letting him join normally, of course).

This is funny. I had no idea he gets created inside the door 😮. I though the command didn't work for some reason 😄.