Forgotten Armament

Thanks for the rapid reply. The SCS readme states:

Carsomyr (the holy paladin sword) dispels all magical protections instantly on hitting its target, which drastically changes the flavour of many battles (notably those with mages and priests, and to a lesser extent with dragons). This component (which was borrowed directly from Demivrgvs' and Mike1072's Item Revisions) grants a saving throw against this effect, which makes it useful but less transformative.

Opening up Near Infinity and I see Carsomyr description reads:

The Holy Avenger: Carsomyr

Carsomyr is a weapon of legend, perhaps one of the most powerful blades ever forged on Faerun, though its origin and history is thought purposefully forgotten, such that the sword itself never overshadow the importance of the struggles that must be fought today.  It is infused with the very essence of virtue, and requires as much from any paladin that would hope to wield it.  The evils of the Realms must truly stand aside when this weapon is brought to bear, their magic dispelled with a word, steadfastly resisted with ease.  Carsomyr also harbors a special distaste for the forces of evil and chaos, and such creatures must fear additional damage from its touch in battle.

STATISTICS

Equipped Abilities:
    50% Magic Resistance
    Dispel magic 3 times per day
Combat Abilities:
    +5 damage to chaotic evil opponents in addition to other bonuses.
    Dispels magic whenever the sword strikes an opponent (save vs spell to avoid)
THAC0: +5 bonus
Damage:  1D12 +5
Damage type:  slashing
Weight:  7
Speed Factor: 5
Proficiency Type: Two handed sword
Type:  2-handed
Requires: 14 Strength

which is obviously not the version from FA.

Could the fix be as simple as swapping out SW2H10.itm and SW2H19.itm from your mod into Near Infiinity? For future playthroughs, I plan to move the item portion from SCS to come just before FA to avoid this. I don't think I can do the same with the Trials of the Luremaster as the base mod needs to be provided prior to the item modifications, and the base mod needs to come fairly late in the install order apparently. Trials of the Luremaster items are basically IWD items that are slightly nerfed.

1 minute ago, herien_0 said:

Thanks for the rapid reply. The SCS readme states:

Opening up Near Infinity and I see Carsomyr description reads:

which is obviously not the version from FA.

Could the fix be as simple as swapping out SW2H10.itm and SW2H19.itm from your mod into Near Infiinity? For future playthroughs, I plan to move the item portion from SCS to come just before FA to avoid this. I don't think I can do the same with the Trials of the Luremaster as the base mod needs to be provided prior to the item modifications, and the base mod needs to come fairly late in the install order apparently. Trials of the Luremaster items are basically IWD items that are slightly nerfed.

I don't have those files in my mod as all changes are edited into the existing item within the game. My recommendation would be to just use the scs version.

Sorry, but I'm not familiar enough with the modding process to understand with how FA would modify Carsomyr without editing the corresponding SW2H10.itm/SW2H19.itm files?

At any rate, I think I'll just do a reinstall all together to avoid any difficulties, I see there's an option in the SCS ini file to avoid their changes to Carsomyr.

To update an existing item, most mods would copy their version of an item, place it into the game, then add their description to the item. Forgotten Armament doesn't do this and instead finds the item within the game and edits it directly. Here is an example for how Carsomyr gets edited. As such, there is no item from Forgotten Armament you can drop into your override file.

Spoiler
ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~SW2H10.ITM~ BEGIN
OUTER_SPRINT oldtwohand1 @31500
OUTER_SPRINT newtwohand1 @31501
OUTER_SPRINT oldtwohand9 @31517
OUTER_SPRINT newtwohand9 @31518
COPY ~forgotten-armament/spl/update_item/mowsl01.SPL~ ~override~ // Adds dispel magic on hit spell
COPY ~forgotten-armament/eff/update_item/mowsl01.eff~ ~override~ // Adds 10% chance of dispel magic on hit effect

COPY_EXISTING ~SW2H10.ITM~ ~override~ 
      LPF ALTER_ITEM_EFFECT INT_VAR check_globals = 1 match_opcode = 166 parameter1 = 10 parameter2 = 0 END
      LPF ADD_ITEM_EQEFFECT INT_VAR opcode = 248 target = 2 parameter2 = 0 timing = 2 resist_dispel = 2 probability1 = 100 special = 1 STR_VAR resource = "mowsl01" END
      LPF DELETE_EFFECT INT_VAR header_type = 1 match_opcode = 240 END
      LPF DELETE_EFFECT INT_VAR header_type = 1 match_opcode = 81 END
      LPF DELETE_EFFECT INT_VAR header_type = 1 match_opcode = 177 match_parameter2 = 7 END
      LPF DELETE_EFFECT INT_VAR header_type = 1 match_opcode = 58 END
      LPF DELETE_EFFECT INT_VAR header_type = 1 match_opcode = 215 END
      LPF DELETE_EFFECT INT_VAR header_type = 1 match_opcode = 77 END
      LPF DELETE_EFFECT INT_VAR header_type = 1 match_opcode = 139 END

READ_LONG 0x54 desc_strref
          PATCH_IF (desc_strref >= 0 && desc_strref < 2147483646) BEGIN
            READ_STRREF 0x54 desc
            INNER_PATCH_SAVE desc ~%desc%~ BEGIN
              REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~%oldtwohand1%~ ~%newtwohand1%~
              REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~%oldtwohand9%~ ~%newtwohand9%~
            END
            SAY_EVALUATED 0x54 ~%desc%~
          END
END

With two different components that edit the sword in place, they may interact in unexpected ways. Here's the code of the SCS component:

Spoiler

DEFINE_ACTION_FUNCTION carsomyr BEGIN
    ACTION_DEFINE_ASSOCIATIVE_ARRAY patch_10 BEGIN
       say_description=>4100
       patch_effect_inline=>~match=>"ability_type=1" save_vs_spell=>1~
    END
    ACTION_DEFINE_ASSOCIATIVE_ARRAY patch_19 BEGIN
       say_description=>4101
       patch_effect_inline=>~match=>"ability_type=1"
                           save_vs_spell=>1
                           save_bonus=>"-2"~
    END
    LAF edit_item STR_VAR item=sw2h10 edits=patch_10 END
    LAF edit_item STR_VAR item=sw2h19 edits=patch_19 END

END

Basically, apply a spell save to all of the on-hit effects, without altering anything else about the item. Then "4100" and "4101" are tra references which overwrite the entire item description.

Wait. That spell save, if I'm reading things correctly, would also apply to the extra damage versus chaotic evil. Unless opcode 177 inherently ignores the saving throw field? I don't know.

Forgotten Armament externalizes the on-hit dispel to a subspell cast through opcode 248. Which might also inherently ignore the saving throw field? And then it does its own overwrite on the description.

I suspect that what you have here is effectively the Forgotten Armament version of the sword with the SCS version of the description.

In any case, the two components are conceptually incompatible and should not be used together. Due to the quirks of how they're set up, it looks like installing both will get you the FA version of the item, with the description of whichever component was installed later.

I'm witnessing an odd error when I have all five components of the Balduran set equipped. Normally, my strength is 19 which gives a 500 lb carrying capacity. When I have four pieces of the Balduran set, and equip the Shield of Balduran (which has a -1 STR penalty), my strength goes down to 18 as expected, however, my carrying capacity drops down to 200 lb, which is not at all what the 18 STR carrying capacity should yield.

2 minutes ago, herien_0 said:

I'm witnessing an odd error when I have all five components of the Balduran set equipped. Normally, my strength is 19 which gives a 500 lb carrying capacity. When I have four pieces of the Balduran set, and equip the Shield of Balduran (which has a -1 STR penalty), my strength goes down to 18 as expected, however, my carrying capacity drops down to 200 lb, which is not at all what the 18 STR carrying capacity should yield.

Base 18 strength, non-exceptional, has 200lbs carry capacity. No bug.

11 minutes ago, basical said:

Hey @morpheus562, may I ask you to consider adding the Doomguard set bonus to the Item Upgrade Mod version of these swords? It feels like the logical upgrade path for them, since this mod doesn't make them overpowered, rather bumps them to be viable for endgame.

Item codes are C2HD1 and C2HD2.

https://imgur.com/1S0331B

Cheers,

You are welcome to ask, but the answer is no. It is gonna be a big back end scripting and coding change that I am not interested in implementing.

// Delver's Plate +2                                                     
// Saving Throws: +2     

LPF ALTER_ITEM_EFFECT INT_VAR check_globals = 1 match_opcode = 37 parameter1 = 1 END

[parameter1 = 1] is a mistake

[parameter1=2] is correct, imo

And thank you for making this mod!

48 minutes ago, Guest st 11 said:

// Delver's Plate +2                                                     
// Saving Throws: +2     

LPF ALTER_ITEM_EFFECT INT_VAR check_globals = 1 match_opcode = 37 parameter1 = 1 END

[parameter1 = 1] is a mistake

[parameter1=2] is correct, imo

And thank you for making this mod!

Good catch, and the line itself should actually be removed! Originally the item has a Save vs. Spell of +2 and I was going to change it to +1 for all saves. I later edited to make it +2 for all saves. As such, I don't need to alter op 37 as it is already correct.

I've an idea for Carsomyr, and perhaps Paladin items in general. Staying with Carsomyr contextually for now; instead of limiting who can use the item, which can be cheated by high level rogues, would it be possible to check if the item is currently worn by a Paladin class, and only then provide the more powerful features? Preferable without the need for EEex, if possible.

That would also be more in line with PnP behaviour. Let Paladins enjoy their special equipment unnerfed, but nerf it for the UAI abusers. 🙂

Edited by Lurker