The Gorgon's Eye (Thieves Guild in Beregost Mod)

On 11/8/2022 at 1:31 PM, Endarire said:

How could/should the quest be modified to allow Gerard to die and still proceed?  Would someone be open to reviving him?  What about having someone else replace him?

For the sake of not getting roadblocked I could add the item to his inventory and there could be new dialog when you turn the quest in if you kill him saying it wasn’t an ideal outcome or something.

For his next quest, him being revived could actually fit in and make sense but honestly I see it as too much effort for one small instance. I’ll consider it though because the second part is important. 

It could also be a hard failure/one item drop+one new dialogue - just done explicitly - get the item, the guild is angry you killed him and now their extortion source of residual income is gone - they kick you out of the guild (although I guess adding the item to his droppables then allows it to be pickpocketed, which would be yet another way this quest dead-ends).

Edited by ahungry

That’s a good idea. If I add it to his inventory I could make 3 different outcomes with the quest giver. Killing gerard, pickpocketing, or doing it the way the guild asks through intimidation could all end the quest differently.

The only real problem is that second possible quest with Gerard is fairly major so if he dies there’s a lot of finagling I’d have to do for it to make sense and imo would lessen the story.

Quick question.  I installed this mod with no problems, and I've just finished doing practically everything in Beregost without seeing anything or anyone I would assume is part of this mod.

Where are you supposed to start?  Nevermind. :) Found the stairs.

I noticed over on the Beamdog forums somebody mentioned the only way to get the quests with a paladin is via an alignment changing item, correct?

Edited by Brogan
On 3/16/2023 at 11:47 PM, Brogan said:

I noticed over on the Beamdog forums somebody mentioned the only way to get the quests with a paladin is via an alignment changing item, correct?

Sorry the late response but yes that should work. The guild leaders initial dialog only checks for lawful good so once you get past that you can play the rest of the mod with any alignment. 

Man I forgot how fun and addicting modding can be. I’ve really been getting deep into this mod lately, cleaning things up and adding more content.

One major thing I’ve been working on is better choices for good-aligned players, instead of targeting innocents you’re going after fences, slavers and thieves. At least that’s how I wrote the lore for some existing characters. I also made an optional quest for the black lotus smuggling since I couldn’t justify a good character doing that for any realistic reason.

I’ve added a City Watch to Beregost who good players can align with to fight back  and eradicate the thieves guild.

Now, since thief rp is more my style, I’ve made up for the “good” route by adding some optional guild quests that get real street level. Back alley muggings, city watch murdering, rival thief battling, stealing, looting the whole nine. All on the side streets of Beregost after lights out.

I’m also working on a new mod with an npc attached, Circle of The Grey Ribbon, where you join a Church of Mask. This one will be a little more dark and evil, but won’t see much progress until I’ve finished up with the Gorgon updates.

11 hours ago, TotalMilk90 said:

I also made an optional quest for the black lotus smuggling

I'd like to add crossmod with BST's smugglers. They are located - wait, in Nashkel. So maybe crossmod could be some extra snarky lines when Holger (from BST) mentions Black Lotus smuggle. I'd be happy if we'd talk about it at some point. (Doesn't need to be right now.)

1 hour ago, jastey said:

I'd like to add crossmod with BST's smugglers.

I'm all for it.

Quest spoilers:

Spoiler

For reference, I made Borland a lotus dealer. (the guy in Beregost whose house you can rest in).Using his hospitality of inviting travelers into his home as a way to push out more product. The player can either shut his business down (good option) or persuade him to start providing a cut of his profits to the guild. Later on, the guild will cut Borland out entirely anyway by finding his spice source and working with them directly. Once that's established, the player will go down to the lotus tent in the Nashkel carnival to deliver the first batch. However, good players now have the option to refuse the quest and instead get sent to the lotus tent to retrieve a patron whose wife has paid for to get out. I have not played BST, I actually haven't even played the game at all besides testing, since I first started this mod. But I did a look and see that Holger is involved in the lotus tent as well.

46 minutes ago, TotalMilk90 said:

I did a look and see that Holger is involved in the lotus tent as well.

Well, Holger claims that he's delivering to the tent.

Spoiler

If Beregost is starting to intervene into his business ...

oioioi I need to think about how we get out of this without making it too complicated.

I'll come back to this, the BST smuggler plotline is not a high priority of mine currently.

20 hours ago, TotalMilk90 said:

I’ve added a City Watch to Beregost who good players can align with to fight back  and eradicate the thieves guild.

Beregost always gave me the vibe of more of a small, rural town. With an unreasonable amount of inns and taverns, for its (single map) size. Strange enough, the thought of it also housing a (small) thieves guild didn't bother me, but the thought of a "City Watch" somehow is just too much...