On the advantages of having absolute editorial control in mods

SimDing0

As a courtesy to Jason who did not play BG1NPC (and I doubt that ever will) and wanted a tribune to discuss editing in mods AND after your outright statement that you don't care a fig about BG1NPC.

Please, do continue with throwing mud, Sim. Or making mudpies. Or eating lemoncakes. Or whatever else it is that you do here.

Sim did bring up something in the main thread this post is a split from, a rather dubious Jaheira line. And then a discussion ensued as two BG1NPC project members struggled to remember who even wrote it in the first place. Which I think makes our point nicely, actually.

You however conveniently forgetting that

a) the person who is currently responcible for Jaheira's character was made available for commenting and discussing the critique. The suggestion that the editor liked will be implemented, the other that he deemed a matter of personal prefernce was rejected. That is much better implementation rate and feedback acknowledgement than plenty of mods which have one person editorial control. That very Sim suggested to Laufey to edit the ending with Elmisnter in Edwin's romance. It was neither discussed nor implemented.

b) The only way to make 100% sure that you know who wrote which particular line three years ago is by having a single author.

As a courtesy to Jason who did not play BG1NPC (and I doubt that ever will) and wanted a tribune to discuss editing in mods AND after your outright statement that you don't care a fig about BG1NPC.

Yes, so presumably we're all in agreement that we shouldn't be talking about BG1NPC, in which case I'm not sure what Theodur means.

Please, do continue with throwing mud, Sim. Or making mudpies. Or eating lemoncakes. Or whatever else it is that you do here.

Providing meaningful insight? Might I suggest that if you don't have any, you don't continue to be insulting? You've done a lot of that lately, and it's getting tiresome. I may be rude, but I don't believe I've mocked you personally (and if I have, I apologise).

That very Sim suggested to Laufey to edit the ending with Elmisnter in Edwin's romance. It was neither discussed nor implemented.

This marks the distinction between it being a simple matter to make changes based on criticism yet the author choosing to ignore it (as in Laufey/Dorotea's case), and it being difficult to get the changes through even if they are desirable.

You have mocked my mod, my leadership, my team and three years of my hard work and my friends' hard work. It does not get more personal than that. O, and thank you for the appology. It's going to be such a wonderful consolation while I cry over my destroyed cloud castle.

[unkind items removed]

Fine. Edit out the wording if you will. But I want it to be known that I have lost my joy and quit the community because of Sim. And I want it to be very clear that I bear nothing but ill feelings toward him. Savour your stupid victory. You ousted me. That's what you have always wanted.

But this isn't about BG1NPC anyway, right?

Of course it is, suggesting anything else is pure hypocrisy.

No, it's certainly been sufficiently explained that there is not the will, the desire, the means, or the consensus to go out to all of the writers, past and present, and obtain the signed-in-triplicate permission slips to change the structure of the project.

I believe you.

(and although Sim beat me to pointing it out... yes, indeed, I was telling Blucher that he was making a mistake roughly 10 seconds after he said "Hey, I've got a great idea! A BG1 Banter Pack! And here's how we'll do it!")

b) The only way to make 100% sure that you know who wrote which particular line three years ago is by having a single author.

My point was that to a strong editor, the question of authorship is entirely academic. "Frobisher wrote that? Or perhaps it was Aunt Jemima. Doesn't matter, it's changing." It appeared to me that you two had to work it out to decide whether and how it could be changed. Perhaps I was mistaken.

and is this point more important than life? than friendship? than anything else?

Oh yes, browbeating other people to accept their way of thinking can sometimes be more important than anything else to certain people. I've seen these tactics used by the very same people to target other 'undesirable' mods, with different degrees of success. But then again, you probably know which mods I am talking about - but believe me, I'm just as unpleasantly surprised to see your work now being a target, now that I certainly did not expect.

(and although Sim beat me to pointing it out... yes, indeed, I was telling Blucher that he was making a mistake roughly 10 seconds after he said "Hey, I've got a great idea! A BG1 Banter Pack! And here's how we'll do it!")

That was very considerate and thoughtful of you. But what do you mean by 'making a mistake', does that assume that the end result that has been produced after 3 years of work is somehow bad, flawed? That's again, only your opinion. Player feedback somehow suggests the otherwise. Occasionally they will point out things they did not like - but that is only to be expected. In a mod of such a scope, no one will like every part of the mod.

As far as I'm concerned, Blucher picked this structure for a good reason, and I see that he's been proven right - the mod has been for the most part completed (something that I would find more difficult to achieve with the structure you are suggesting) after three years of hard work, and overall, it's been very successful.

Now, what's your real point?

You really can stop trying to convince me that you think it's all turned out splendidly. As I said above, I believe you.

Regardless of your personal feelings on the matter, I will continue to advocate that nobody else choose a similar structure.

Archived