NPC Mod: Dusk Aldant, The Wizard Slayer

3 minutes ago, Pol_Rupes said:

With this, the major bugs should be fixed (at least I hope so). The next update will include the translation of the mod into Italian (thanks, Andrea) and possibly to version 1.0

I'm afraid that's not all. The mod, for example, overrides ribald.dlg, so if this mod is installed after other mods that add stuff to that dialogue, then this mod will erase changes done by other mods, possibly making some other mods unplayable. I had a player who wasn't able to properly start the main quest from Skie: The Cost of One Girl's Soul. That means player won't be able to finish the quest, join Skie and, in result, Eddard. That will also prevent Dvaradime's talks with Ribald, Southern Edge's mini quest and so on.

The problem was already reported here: https://www.weaselmods.net/showthread.php?tid=1018&pid=2724#pid2724

Sadly, there are also other talks in Dusk that do that. TRGENI01, OHNQUAID, BOY1...

7 minutes ago, Lava said:

I'm afraid that's not all. The mod, for example, overrides ribald.dlg, so if this mod is installed after other mods that add stuff to that dialogue, then this mod will erase changes done by other mods, possibly making some other mods unplayable. I had a player who wasn't able to properly start the main quest from Skie: The Cost of One Girl's Soul. That means player won't be able to finish the quest, join Skie and, in result, Eddard. That will also prevent Dvaradime's talks with Ribald, Southern Edge's mini quest and so on.

The problem was already reported here: https://www.weaselmods.net/showthread.php?tid=1018&pid=2724#pid2724

Sadly, there are also other talks in Dusk that do that. TRGENI01, OHNQUAID, BOY1...

Yes! You're right, I forgot to readjust those files, I removed the ones for vanilla NPCs but forgot about those. That will be the next thing I fix.

Thank you for letting me know.

On 6/24/2023 at 6:25 PM, Endarire said:

@Pol_Rupes
How fare your Dusk updates?

Thankee!

Hi! We’re still working on the updates. We’re currently working on the Italian translation and finishing some unfinished voice lines for Dusk. The bugs related to the original files are fixed, so we think we’ll be able to release version 1.0 soon.

Thanks!

Edited by Pol_Rupes

Have watched the video and read the introduction of this mod. This seems to be a well written and carefully designed mod that I’d love to give it a try. I have a few questions regarding the mod:

Firstly, this mod adds new plot and item so how will it be compatible with other mods that add item and story to game?

Secondly, I see some bastard sword use 2d5 as it’s basic damage, I’m not familiar with adnd but using dice size of 5 seems weird and what’s the reason for it?

Lastly, does this mod has content in ToB since I will wanna carry Dusk to tob?

Edited by dunehunter
9 hours ago, dunehunter said:

Have watched the video and read the introduction of this mod. This seems to be a well written and carefully designed mod that I’d love to give it a try. I have a few questions regarding the mod:

Firstly, this mod adds new plot and item so how will it be compatible with other mods that add item and story to game?

Secondly, I see some bastard sword use 2d5 as it’s basic damage, I’m not familiar with adnd but using dice size of 5 seems weird and what’s the reason for it?

Lastly, does this mod has content in ToB since I will wanna carry Dusk to tob?

Hello! Thanks for trying the mod. The mod should be compatible with other mods without any issues. If you use it with other NPC mods, please note that these NPCs won't have customized items (as a reward for completing the third quest) since they were designed for vanilla and EE NPCs.

Regarding the crimson sword (bastard sword that Dusk will obtain if his alignment changes to Evil during his quests), the goal was to make it better than a regular bastard sword, even in its base damage. Note: it was nerfed since its original release, as the damage was much higher.

In ToB, Dusk doesn't have any quests, but he does have dialogues and comments throughout the entire campaign. Additionally, there are 7 alternative endings for him, which will be affected by the decisions you've made since SoA.

1 hour ago, Chitown Willie said:

Any chance of Dusk making an appearance in BG1?

I see that as a bit complicated. In any case, the next major releases will follow this order (for now):
1- A romance version for Dusk in ToB
2- Compatibility for BG in its classic version
3- The inclusion of a quest for ToB

Once that's done, I might be able to include it in BG1, although it would involve reworking his story a bit.

Edited by Pol_Rupes
11 hours ago, Pol_Rupes said:

Hello! Thanks for trying the mod. The mod should be compatible with other mods without any issues. If you use it with other NPC mods, please note that these NPCs won't have customized items (as a reward for completing the third quest) since they were designed for vanilla and EE NPCs.

Regarding the crimson sword (bastard sword that Dusk will obtain if his alignment changes to Evil during his quests), the goal was to make it better than a regular bastard sword, even in its base damage. Note: it was nerfed since its original release, as the damage was much higher.

In ToB, Dusk doesn't have any quests, but he does have dialogues and comments throughout the entire campaign. Additionally, there are 7 alternative endings for him, which will be affected by the decisions you've made since SoA.

Thanks for the fast response. Cool since Dusk still has content in tob. Regarding bastardsword, I understand that you wish to make it special. I’m not familiar with 2e rules, so does an oversized weapon will have more dice or bigger dice size? Like 2d4 -> 2d5. I mention this because some greatsword has 1d12 instead of 1d10 in game.

Edited by dunehunter
4 hours ago, dunehunter said:

I’m not familiar with 2e rules, so does an oversized weapon will have more dice or bigger dice size? Like 2d4 -> 2d5. I mention this because some greatsword has 1d12 instead of 1d10 in game.

That's actually, by the book, what you were supposed to get for weapon grandmastery, rather than the (in game) +2 damage bonus relative to mastery. It was obviously felt easier to code in a flat damage bonus than fiddle with damage die ranges on a case per case basis (possible with the EE engine though).

Since there is no d5, the bastard sword would be a 2d6 in that scenario.

10 hours ago, dunehunter said:

Thanks for the fast response. Cool since Dusk still has content in tob. Regarding bastardsword, I understand that you wish to make it special. I’m not familiar with 2e rules, so does an oversized weapon will have more dice or bigger dice size? Like 2d4 -> 2d5. I mention this because some greatsword has 1d12 instead of 1d10 in game.

Yes, in fact, in its original release, it had a damage similar to what you mention (possibly higher), but it was too overpowered, so it was decided to nerf it. Now, the damage is only slightly higher than that of a regular bastard sword.

On 7/26/2023 at 8:04 PM, Pol_Rupes said:

3- The inclusion of a quest for ToB

Are you adding this due to requests, or because you felt it was needed? 

At the cost of sounding unpopular, having a BG2 exclusive Npc is not a bad thing to me. And changing a story you've already drafted seems strange to me.