Upcoming mod plans for SoD2BG2EE Item Upgrade

After a long hiatus, I am planning to come back and do some more work on this mod.  I don't necessarily plan to add or change a lot about it, but my fellow modders know that once you get elbows-deep into a mod and the creative juices get flowing..... things happen :)  

From the *many* comments I have gotten regarding this mod, one item I plan to address is making the new spells component optional.  Personally, I still think it's kinda silly,  but different strokes for different folks and all that.

I may or may not look into making use of Olvyn's spell tool for the spells component.  Haven't tried using it at all, so going in blind.  Will see how it goes, may try it on one of my kit mods first.

I have some ideas for a couple of new kits I plan to work on separately from this, but may offer them as optional components of this mod.  I'd kinda like to roll my mods up into one, allowing the player to select what they do and don't want to install, just to keep everything under one roof, so to speak.  I will probably get more flak about that, but seriously, the category this mod is under is "Items/Kits/Spells".  So... even if it contains all three, it still fits the category, imho.

Consider this thread a "Wish List" of sorts that you all would like to see in an update to this mod.  I already know one thing @Endarire will probably ask for, and am already considering how I can work it in, as my way of saying thanks for keeping up with me on this mod over the last couple of years. *cough* elven plate *cough*.

So, please post your thoughts on what you'd like to see in an update here and let's discuss.  Anything goes, and by that I mean the following:

1. Items and/or spells you'd like to see added
  2. Items and/or spells you'd like to see removed.
  3. Items and/or spells you would like to see buffed or nerfed.
  4. Descriptions and/or lore you would like to see changed or added.
  5. Artwork/Audiovisual effects you would like to see changed or added.

The only "hard rules" I have are that the mod must remain in a fashion that forces the player to make choices about using upgrade components, and item/spell balance kept in-line.  No adding extra components to allow a player to get everything in a single playthrough, and no "I win" buttons.  So.... if you find yourself thinking: "I really want item A and B, but can only get one of them." That's working as intended and not likely to change.  Conversely, if you are thinking: "I really shouldn't be able to get both item X and Y, both of them together are just too powerful"  That would be very helpful.

3 hours ago, Daeros_Trollkiller said:

I'd kinda like to roll my mods up into one, allowing the player to select what they do and don't want to install, just to keep everything under one roof, so to speak.  I will probably get more flak about that, but seriously, the category this mod is under is "Items/Kits/Spells".  So... even if it contains all three, it still fits the category, imho.

And you rightfully deserve that criticism. It's not you who deals with install orders and mod compatibility. Complex kits need to go after items to accomodate cases where the kit uses op319 over item useability flags and/or revamp them to free up item useability bits. Novices don't know how to split mods and it's already tough to explain the common splitters in a megamod installation (which is IWDification spells going early so that questmods which try importing duplicates can rely on them pretty much). This isn't about the site's own categorization, this is for the convenience of your audience.

But if you berate your audience via considering the most common request "silly", then I'm not sure who are you making the mod for.

On 8/25/2023 at 9:28 PM, Graion Dilach said:

And you rightfully deserve that criticism. It's not you who deals with install orders and mod compatibility. Complex kits need to go after items to accomodate cases where the kit uses op319 over item useability flags and/or revamp them to free up item useability bits. Novices don't know how to split mods and it's already tough to explain the common splitters in a megamod installation (which is IWDification spells going early so that questmods which try importing duplicates can rely on them pretty much). This isn't about the site's own categorization, this is for the convenience of your audience.

But if you berate your audience via considering the most common request "silly", then I'm not sure who are you making the mod for.

My comment was not intended to berate anyone.  I'm not a pro modder and never claimed to be.  To me, I just don't see the problem, but I am obviously looking at things through a very different lens than you are.

The whole reason I came back to update this mod and created this post was to address things that need to be "fixed" or done better to make it more compatible.  I can't fix something if I don't know it's broken, and/or don't know how to go about fixing it.  If that means leaving things well enough alone, then I'm ok with that as well.

I'm always a big fan of keeping things as modular as possible. Have spells be a separate component (espcecialy since so very many modders like to mess with spells, and keeping verything kosher is herculean).
As for rolling EVERYTHING into a single mod. I'm also of a mind to keep kits/items as separate mods. Mostly for the reason Graion says above. I'm a huge fan of what this mod does, but these are a couple problems that do (or would) keep from being an automatic recommendation.

On 8/26/2023 at 2:31 AM, Daeros_Trollkiller said:

After a long hiatus, I am planning to come back and do some more work on this mod.  I don't necessarily plan to add or change a lot about it, but my fellow modders know that once you get elbows-deep into a mod and the creative juices get flowing..... things happen :)  

From the *many* comments I have gotten regarding this mod, one item I plan to address is making the new spells component optional.  Personally, I still think it's kinda silly,  but different strokes for different folks and all that.

I may or may not look into making use of Olvyn's spell tool for the spells component.  Haven't tried using it at all, so going in blind.  Will see how it goes, may try it on one of my kit mods first.

I have some ideas for a couple of new kits I plan to work on separately from this, but may offer them as optional components of this mod.  I'd kinda like to roll my mods up into one, allowing the player to select what they do and don't want to install, just to keep everything under one roof, so to speak.  I will probably get more flak about that, but seriously, the category this mod is under is "Items/Kits/Spells".  So... even if it contains all three, it still fits the category, imho.

Consider this thread a "Wish List" of sorts that you all would like to see in an update to this mod.  I already know one thing @Endarire will probably ask for, and am already considering how I can work it in, as my way of saying thanks for keeping up with me on this mod over the last couple of years. *cough* elven plate *cough*.

So, please post your thoughts on what you'd like to see in an update here and let's discuss.  Anything goes, and by that I mean the following:

1. Items and/or spells you'd like to see added
  2. Items and/or spells you'd like to see removed.
  3. Items and/or spells you would like to see buffed or nerfed.
  4. Descriptions and/or lore you would like to see changed or added.
  5. Artwork/Audiovisual effects you would like to see changed or added.

The only "hard rules" I have are that the mod must remain in a fashion that forces the player to make choices about using upgrade components, and item/spell balance kept in-line.  No adding extra components to allow a player to get everything in a single playthrough, and no "I win" buttons.  So.... if you find yourself thinking: "I really want item A and B, but can only get one of them." That's working as intended and not likely to change.  Conversely, if you are thinking: "I really shouldn't be able to get both item X and Y, both of them together are just too powerful"  That would be very helpful.

IMHO, just concentrate on upgrading items. don't make spells optional, simply remove it. 

In BG2, +2 weapons become useless rather quickly because many monsters require at least +3 weapons to hit, so my general request is make more +3 weapons/upgrades. 

and don't get me wrong but imo you just should make a mod you yourself would like to install and play and don't ask what peeps want unless it is about very specific item,

I might be in the Minority from what i read but in general i like that you included New Spells with different Spell Effects and Visuals. After playing that game for so long doing the whole same Spiel of Timestop into IA into Horrid Wilting gets boring and stale after a while for me, so i like the Diversity you bring with your Mod in terms of Spells. I think here and there a few Spells might be a bit overtuned but as long as you balance them to a similar Powerlevel to the Standard Spells you should be fine. 

It just also depends what Game Play Settings your Audience is playing at but it's impossible to please everyone. Some play Vanilla with Core Rules, others use SCS Core Rules. Some use SCS Insane with Double Damage etc. etc.

I agree with the notion that you should make the Spells an optional component though cause Modality is something most folks (almost all i would assume) like so they can create the Experience they want for themselves. 

In terms of Weapons i would like to see maybe a few cool Darts to give that underused Range Weapon Type a bit more Love. 

Personally i would appreciate an option to "transmogrify" the Defender of Easthaven into another Weapon Type. Same Enchantment Level, same Stats. 
Mainly because well i don't like how most flails look lol.

Cheers.

Edited by Nurn

I agree that items and spells should be separate components or separate mods.  However, if you intend to apply Olvyn's Spell Tool to your spells, you'll likely need to remake all your new spells from scratch or severely overhaul their implementation to allow for Olvyn's Spell Tool to work.  As you said, you seemingly added your new spells in the most complex way possible.

Remember what I wrote you in the direct message regarding spell descriptions:  Add proper spacing between paragraphs for legibility and fix the typos I mentioned.  I'm still a fan of putting flavor text at the end of the description like a Magic: The Gathering card.

New spell requests:

-Heroes' Feast: I like how it can make the party immune to poison for 12 hours as well as giving temporary HP.

-Magic jar.It's effectively a possess effect with the option to prematurely end the effect akin to a less powerful version of the level 7 Shadow Magic spell possess.  I know domination is also spell level 5, but it's a mind-affecting Enchantment.  Seemingly, mind blank doesn't block magic jar, making it not entirely redundant.

-Darklight's Lightning Web
Level: 6
School: Conjuration
Range: Long
Duration: 10 rounds
Casting Time: 5
Area of Effect: 20' radius
Saving Throw: Special

Darklight's Lightning Web acts as a normal web spell in most regards:  Any creature who enters or remains its area must save vs. breath at a -3 penalty or be caught in the web for 1 round, and must make a new save at the start of each round to break free.

However, any creature in the area takes takes 6d6 electricity damage per round it's in the area with a save vs. breath at a -3 penalty for half.  Any creature caught in Darklight's Lightning Web takes 6d8 electricity damage (no save) each round it's caught in the web.

Any creature immune to a web effect such as a spider is also immune to being caught in Darklight's Lightning Web, but still might take electricity damage each round it's in the area.

Many spells are ascribed to the mysterious man named Darklight with Darklight's Lightning Web being his most famous creation.  If the wizard Darklight ever existed, he was so obscure as hardly to be remembered among the planes compared to, say, Mordekainen or Melf.

COMMENTARY: I know vanilla death fog does 8 acid damage per round and auto-kills summons and the Spell Revisions version of acid fog is the same spell level and does 10 acid damage per round and slows creatures within by half with no save.  The listed damage is negotiable, but it needs to be meaningful.  Also note that we're at or near the point where freedom of movement AKA free action is getting pretty common on foes and maybe also on your side, at least with SCS, and the Spell Revisions version of chain lightning can already deal about double this (12d6) in a party-friendly manner.  (If you just want damage, Skull Trap goes a long way toward that goal, and chain lightning is somewhat weak for a level 6 spell regardless.)

On 8/29/2023 at 3:26 AM, InKal said:

IMHO, just concentrate on upgrading items. don't make spells optional, simply remove it. 

In BG2, +2 weapons become useless rather quickly because many monsters require at least +3 weapons to hit, so my general request is make more +3 weapons/upgrades. 

and don't get me wrong but imo you just should make a mod you yourself would like to install and play and don't ask what peeps want unless it is about very specific item,

Thank you for the feedback, the last bit especially.  I put a lot of time and effort into the spells, so I probably won't remove them altogether, BUT... if I were to end up making even more spells, then I think it being it's own separate mod would probably be the better route to go.