SubtleMods: SubtleD's Item Tweaks

1 hour ago, subtledoctor said:

My first guess is CDTweaks Friendly Random Drops - that component does basically the same thing as mine, improving the variety and utility of random drops, and the control it gives you means that mine is unnecessary. So I will update my mod to leave the random loot table alone if that is installed. But still… if that mod reads the file and builds some dialogues or tokens etc. before my mod is installed, which would my mod changing the table have any effect?

Noted on the redundancy. Still, just to make sure I tried another quick test with only the Friendly Drops, Graion's Bag of Spilling and your IDW tweaks, only those three, and... nothing. Things work as expected.

Another test with a full reinstall except CDTweaks's friendly drops, and... the random treasures work as they should. I'm not seeing any problems with Bag of Spilling as you worry though, but I haven't tested that too much.

So whatever it is is happening, it's probably to be an interaction between your random table and CDTweaks' Friendly Drops (the merchant one, at least), but that's doesn't seem to be enough. I'm reasonably convinced it needs more mods present than these two for the problem to actually kick in and be noticed by a player. So updating the IWD tweaks to skip installing if Friendlier Drops is already there should be for the better (and probably updating Friendly Drops as well to do the same if IWD tweaks is already there, although I haven't tried switching the order to see if the outcome varies).

1 hour ago, subtledoctor said:

If you want you can edit SubtleD_Item_Tweaks/components/iwd_items.tpa and simply delete the COPY line at or near line 33. Then proceed with your install. 

Yup, already tried that, it's how I confirmed at least that wasn't playing nice with *something*. Mind, the mention in your other comment of tackling the loot distribution at the core sounds fairly more interesting than out of place token genies or MMO style gear merchants solving the problem after the fact to me, so I'll probably go with it. Just need the readme to not keep mum to know it's happening and maybe how. :_D The OP post here does mention it, but the implications didn't register to me when I read it back when you posted it.

Edited by Connelly
1 hour ago, Connelly said:

tackling the loot distribution at the core sounds fairly more interesting than out of place token genies or MMO style gear merchants solving the problem after the fact to me

Totally agree. I like the control built into the Tweaks components but it just seems hacky. I found it fairly simple to just rewrite the random table, removing the junky items and increasing the chances of good ones. I also tried to expand some of the categories that are left out of the vanilla tables - quarterstaff, maces - and be a bit more thoughtful about what groups of weapons are found where. (E.g. if you could get greatswords or longswords from two random drops, you might end up with a redundant greatsword and no long sword; I try to group them better. TBH this could probably still be improved.) Tweaks gives you choices but in several instances they are not well-thought-out choices.

I still occasionally bring up the console and type C:CreateItem(“diver”) or something. But honestly it’s easier to do that in the console than deal a weird merchant guy who seems utterly out of place. 

Forget what I said. I did a new, more meaty IWD install, and even without the CDTweaks Friendly Drops, I'm getting the untransformable Random Treasure again. *sigh*

The weird thing is that just to check I uninstalled the Bag od Spilling component, reinstalled the IWD tweaks... and now I'm finding an iconless "Invalid: 9999999" item, both in name and description dropping from Forgotten God priests and Yuan-Ti mages. Near Infinity cannot find it, so I can't know the file name for it. But they're being dropped by casters, which turns my attention on Graion's random scrolls for casters. If I uninstall those, then reinstall the Bag of Spilling... No apparent issues. Add the IWD tweaks and... no more "Invalid: 9999999".

If you install the IWD tweaks after the first random scroll component, then the random spell scrolls will turn out broken, because IWD tweaks deletes all additional random treasure from rndtres.2da on IWDEE (the mod assumes it touches rndtres first). If it is installed on a setup where IWD-in-EET is installed, it assumed a fixed coloumn count.

There's nothing I can do from here. The Random Spell Scrolls need to be installed after this mod.

@subtledoctor I am trying out the mod for the first time, but I am having a few issues. The item descriptions for weapons are not update, but the correct changes show up on the character inventory screen. For example, dagger item description still says 1D4, but on inventory screen when equipped says 1D5. Same for staff, spear, bow, crossbow, etc. However, the Throwing Dagger description still says 1D4 AND the inventory screen still shows 1D4 BUT there is no added strength bonus. So, removed the strength bonus as per the readme, but didn't change the damage.

The descriptions for the armor were updated and changes show up on character screen.

I am playing a Barbarian dualing later to a Druid specializing in daggers. I wasn't keen on giving up the strength bonus for throwing daggers, but was going to give it a go for sake of balance. I want to at least get the 1D5. Every little helps. And of course proper item descriptions.

I attached the weidu log so you can see other mods for possible conflicts. Thanks.

WeiDU.log

On 11/15/2023 at 3:43 PM, haze said:

dagger item description still says 1D4, but on inventory screen when equipped says 1D5

It is doing 1d5 damage, but the description update failed because of a typo in the code. Will fix that.

Throwing Dagger description still says 1D4 AND the inventory screen still shows 1D4

I honestly don't remember what was going through my head when I coded this, but it seems to be intentional because the mod specifically only adjusts melee damage.

BUT there is no added strength bonus

This was definitely intentional.

Hi @subtledoctor, appreciate all your work!

Quick q - I'm installing SCS currently, and will skip the +1 to fine as I've already installed yours from this mod - but I wasn't sure about the SCS 'Replace +1 arrows...' component. Does your Item Tweak mod take into account magical arrows too? I'm assuming so, but just want to double check before I sit through the hour+ that SCS is going to take to install.

13 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

I honestly don't remember what was going through my head when I coded this, but it seems to be intentional because the mod specifically only adjusts melee damage.

I was just going off what the readme says on GitHub: "Daggers do 1d5 base damage instead of 1d4. (This includes throwing daggers.)" I know it's a PITA to keep track of the ReadME, the item description, and the item properties itself. I haven't modded BG, but I have modded Civ III and there is the Civlopedia (like item description), the mod itself, and the readme. I always forget something in one spot.

This was definitely intentional.
I saw that it was intentional, but based on the readme I thought giving up the STR bonus would be offset a little by the bump to 1D5. Either way no worries, if it was a bug I was just letting you know.

The other weapons from the component didn't update either for some reason. All of the armor did from YARS though.

Anyhow, thanks again for all the hard work in the modding community. I haven't yet tried your big mods like Might and Guile, Faith and Powers, etc. that change the game a lot. One of these days ....

19 hours ago, harticus33 said:

Quick q - I'm installing SCS currently, and will skip the +1 to fine as I've already installed yours from this mod - but I wasn't sure about the SCS 'Replace +1 arrows...' component. Does your Item Tweak mod take into account magical arrows too? I'm assuming so, but just want to double check before I sit through the hour+ that SCS is going to take to install.

Yes, the tweaks here turn all arrows +2 and arrows +3 into either Mastercraft arrows or arrows +1.

A suggestion for future revisions. For YARAS it says no casting penalty for "caster" armors. I noticed that the Bardic casting leathers from Song & Silence that Raul sells at the Carnival get the casting penalty added when they are supposed to be "caster" armors. With YARAS installed it adds the penalty. I am not sure if those can be tweaked to be ignored.