Xan's romance won't start

Guest Carrot

If you were trying to use an old saved game, and have different mods installed than you for your saved game, your item descriptions are going to be off.

I will tell you why so that you do not think things are broken.

Your saved game does not store words, it stores "string references," which are unique identifiers that associate that particular string with a number. Those numbers are unique to your installation. The name for normal arrows is "arrow," but in the saved game, a number will be assigned, like 1234. In the saved game, item _arow01 is assigned string 1234 for it's name string reference. When you reinstalled your game, the string references are different, so now string 1234 says "Chainmail is armor made from interlocking rings that provide protection for the upper body. Such protection is most effective against slashing weapons" (or something like that). So, with your old saved game and your new installation, the item name for an arrow will not be "arrow," but will be "Chainmail is armor made from interlocking rings that provide protection for the upper body. Such protection is most effective against slashing weapons." Sometimes, it's humorous, but other times, it's annoying.

And that is why you will not be able to use an old saved game.

Also, the test to see if you are compatible with Xan happens as soon as Xan joins the party. If Xan has ever been in the party in an old saved game, the match has already been made, and changing your installation will not help that saved game.

Frustrating, but better to start fresh.

Her CRE does not have override script assigned and neither does Imoen? I think I know where the trouble lies. We have a component in the Core, that assigns the override scripts to 7 NPCs that do not have it in the vanilla.

Kelenthial, did the Core Component install without Errors? To check you can ask the mod to install component per component and see if it installs.

Oh no, you misunderstood. These problems I have *after* starting new game and it has nothing to do with exchanging description of item for description of another item. Read my post once again:). Another thing is that English is my second language and my thoughts may not appear as clearly as I'd like them to do. Frustrating, but I'm still learning. I apologize for my poor language skills, thought.

And I've already started playing anew, since it's the only thing left to do. I've a save from before first encounter with Xan, but my old game seems to be so spoiled it cannot be fixed.

Kelenthial, we probably were posting simultaneously - please, take a look at my post above.

I think that at least in the begining the problem was with a failed installation of the Core Component of BG1NPC. It is essential for the mod to work properly (ie you can't just installa romance or banter without the "core")

Now, the rest seems to be a progressively more and more screwed up dialogue.tlk. I know you did blank install, and I know you are getting pretty frustrated by now - I would be, for sure, but let's concentrate on getting the Conversion from BG1 to TUTU right, before applying Bg1NPC.

Can you try the conversion with Easy TUTU from scratch this time, not TUTU4? You see, TUTU4 had an annoying habit of being unstable if your disks were not absolutely perfect-pristine. EasyTUTU pretty much guarantees a stable install.

Sorry about the troubles, but sometimes it's just not going right with software.

Sorry about my misunderstanding of your post. That happens, too. :D

Sometimes, the problem isn't always with the conversion. Sometimes, you get a bad download. I've had that problem numerous times, unfortunately, and with lots of different mods, but the bigger ones seem to be more susceptible to it.

Whenever I'm starting over, I usually go for fresh downloads.

Um, Domi I wonder if I actually CAN play easy tutu... In etutu requirments it's said, that:

"You must already have performed a FULL installation of the English language version of Baldur's Gate 1". I have Polish language version, naturally. And of BG2 too. So I'm not sure if it is possible for me to do.

Her CRE does not have override script assigned and neither does Imoen? I think I know where the trouble lies. We have a component in the Core, that assigns the override scripts to 7 NPCs that do not have it in the vanilla.

Kelenthial, did the Core Component install without Errors? To check you can ask the mod to install component per component and see if it installs.

Good thing to check; just so we all know, the new betas all have a required flag file check which *should* stop the installation of *any* component without the core fixes being installed. That does not mean that an error will not occur - it just means that it shouldn't be able to occur (if there is an error, WeiDU uninstalls the component and flag file automatically, and then no other component will install!).

Domi, I know, that's what worries me :) I want to see how it managed to fail...

Kelethial, To make things easier on the check of install, there are directions on how to create your own cute little "checker" program (really, really simple - even I was successful :D) in this

http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php/to....html#msg248272

specific post.

Archived