Viconia: Nightcloak of Shar

cirerrek

Just a wanting to have my cake and eat it to observation, but limiting Viconia to only Level 3 Healing Spells is a pretty darn big hindrance. I'm not sure yet whether the additional kit abilities make up for that or not. Actually at the moment, I'm inclined to say not.

I know. I know. Its an optional component, but when I first noticed it after a level up, I said to myself, Wow! That is a big hit in terms of overall usefulness.

End observation.

Clerics without major access to Healing definitely play differently now, yeah. I suppose it depends on your style! Authlim of Xvim are probably the most different of the kits in this respect, since they can only heal themselves. I think the kits are all fairly well-balanced, although players who previously used Clerics as mobile first-aid kits might want to be selective in their choices of deity, or try using a Druid instead.

Clerics without major access to Healing definitely play differently now, yeah. I suppose it depends on your style! Authlim of Xvim are probably the most different of the kits in this respect, since they can only heal themselves. I think the kits are all fairly well-balanced, although players who previously used Clerics as mobile first-aid kits might want to be selective in their choices of deity, or try using a Druid instead.

I don't wish to sound like I'm agreeing with Cirerrek (after all, I'm unable to actually install the mod), but it seems that Viccy would be no good if you want a healing cleric in your party. You can be selective in your choice of deity, but if you want Viccy she's either kitless or the Nightcloak of Shar, right?

Isn't it essential that a party has someone who can cast healing spells? If so, and you want Viccy along, would that mean that you have to take either an additional cleric (one who can heal) or a druid? Does this make Viccy undesirable? And if she is the only cleric in the party, is it only really viable to have her as a kitless?

Remix, everyone, Remix. The basic idea is to change the class to give an entire new perspective of divine spellcasters. I'll preface my remarks with this: I rarely play with Viconia, with or withour Divine Remix but that's mainly because I'm not a big fan of her personality.

From a spell POV all clerics are less useful now to some degree because (in general) everyone has a narrower selection than before. Viconia and other clerics that lack major (or even minor) access to healing become more difficult to play because we all became reliant on loading up clerics with healing spells. However, that's kinda the point--before, Viconia's worship of Shar was an 'OK, thanks for sharing' point of the game, whereas now Viconia's choice of worship actually reflects on her abilities. I'm happy with a trade-off between a tactically more difficult game for a better roleplaying experience.

I meant that it is actually good for gameplay to have Viconia more inline with her supposed faith. It is good for my RPing and I have enough healing potions throughout the game to never really need a cleric anyway. In fact Chaotic Commands is the only spell I severly miss without a cleric

I tend to take two or three characters with Priestly abilities, so healing doesn't tend to be much of a problem. I guess the situation with Viconia could be comparable to people who take only Edwin as an arcane caster (and consequently cannot cast Identify).

And technically, in the end, you can get by without using a healer. A couple o' potions and some well-equipped (no pun intended) tanks should do the trick. The main role of the cleric is being a buffer, anyhow. And occasionally, Viccy makes a good flamethrower :)

I ususally use clerics for their buffing spells myself, and rely on potions for battle, since heals are hard to pull off when someone's trying to clobber your cleric. That said, a good Heal spell comes in very handy after a combat Raise Dead. As long as she's got a sufficient spell selection to make up for losing the others, Viconia will still be useful... It just means you have to safeguard your primary healer better. :)

Archived