keeping Yoshimo

Lemernis

One last thought about this--a mod component that allows you to keep him. I lack the skills to do it myself, but I'll offer it as a suggestion if it is feasible and anyone has an interest:

Make Yoshi resurrectable. Do this by taking his heart to a new priest of Ilmater who has been added to Brynlaw (so that you can take Yoshi along into the Underdark). Instead of literally resurrecting Yoshimo, his character file is replaced with a new one with a different file name. All the info copies to the brand new substitute file.

Make Yoshi resurrectable. Do this by taking his heart to a new priest of Ilmater who has been added to Brynlaw (so that you can take Yoshi along into the Underdark). Instead of literally resurrecting Yoshimo, his character file is replaced with a new one with a different file name. All the info copies to the brand new substitute file.
I don't doubt that this is doable, but wouldn't such a Yoshimo totally break immersion - no further interactions with him, other characters talking about him as if he were dead when he's actually in the party etc.
No, actually, this is impossible, because as noted above, Yoshimo will be destoyed in the SoA/ToB transition.

Surely he wouldn't be destroyed if he was "moved" to a cre file with a different name? I can't imagine that such checks would look for creature name rather than name of creature file.

Right, what I'm asking is, is there a way to

1) create a new .cre file with data identical to Yoshi's prior to the moment of death

2) give that newly created .cre file a new file name--call the file "Omihsoy" or whatever, but give the NPC the character name "Yoshimo"

3) spawn in this new NPC when he is "resurrected" by the priest of Ilmater (ie.., not truly resurrected but rather run a script to spawn in the new NPC)

4) if it is a new file named something else, won't the game treat it differently?

Would it then be possible to

1) save just prior to the big battle with Irenucus in Spellhold (is there an autosave there?)

2) using an editor, copy Yoshi's .cre file but with a new file name, and of course change the death variable

3) import this new .cre file back into the party after the battle (i.e, after Yoshi is killed) using the editor?

I guess that would work. You wouldn't need to import the new character into the party using an editor though. Just use CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("filename") to create the new Yoshi and then use Ctrl+Q to put him in your party.

You may also need to have a look at his scripts. I think it's the override script but I'm not sure. There may be something in that script that causes Yoshi to die if a variable is set. If that's the case you can just cut out the check and recompile the script for the new Yoshi.

NearInfinity will do all of the above by the way.

Thanks. I will make backup saves at critical junctures such as leaving Atktala for Brynlaw, before the big battle in Spellhold, and before etnering Suldanesselar.

I think to begin with I will simply experiment with dropping Yoshi from the party at the Vulgar Monkey in Brynlaw, and via BG2 Tweaks "Improved Kick-out Dialogues" telling him to stay put there. Then I will try readding him to the party after Spellhold and see what happens. Maybe in that event he won't perma-die when I get to Suldanesselar. Does hardcoding typically apply to ingame events such as this?

I have zero experience in coding, so when I copy the .cre file I will probably be asking for guidance, eg, specifically how to reset the death variable, etc.

I feel I can't say it too many times: Thanks for everyone's help!

"Improved Kick-out Dialogues" telling him to stay put there. Then I will try readding him to the party after Spellhold and see what happens.

He will die from geas the moment you see him. You will have to be very quick to Ctrl+Q him in the party before that.

Maybe in that event he won't perma-die when I get to Suldanesselar. Does hardcoding typically apply to ingame events such as this?

He always will. The main.exe kills him during the transfer between the games, it looks for his death variable/script name. You will have to change it to prevent it. No, it is one of the exceptional hardcoding events. BioWARE initially wanted Yoshimo to be added in ToB as some sort of a ghost or a wraith. One of the cut plans. :)

On a similar theme, a mini-mod adding a better explanation of his death if you didn't take him with you would be nice - I played through the 1st time with just two characters, not including him, and when I wandered into the Copper Coronet he randomly died, and I was somewhat confused. Having played through again with him in the party, I realised it must have been the geas, but it would have been nice if some random character would pop up and say as much...

This also would probably be quite easy to do...

There were a number of expression of interest of working on Yoshimo over the years. I am kind of surprised that the TS to date remains the only realized attemot, seeing how Bio's work on him is both obviously confusing and unfinished.

Just a little follow up here:

Turns out the buttplug variable does indeed work throughout SoA after all. However the game removes Yoshi at the very start of ToB. But there's a way around it. A workaround to keep Yoshi for the entire saga (except for Spellhold) is outlined in this thread.

Miloch had mentioned in the above-cited thread that some code can probably be written to accomplish the same thing. If that is the case, I would encourage its development as a minimod.

I've found it kind of fun to have Yoshi around for the the entire game, through ToB. He's the first person you meet on your journey, and in a lot of ways he typifies Amn. There's something ironic about the fact that, played this way, you never even knew your stalwart, trusted comrade at arms was in fact placed there to spy on you and betray you--but evidently changed his mind.

Again, if it truly is a matter of writing just a few lines of code then I think this might be a fairly popular minimod.

Alternatively, it could be developed a little more with some dialogue:

In Brynlaw, upon entering the Vulgar Monkey, Yoshi could be scripted to ask to leave the party for a time to take care of some personal business. He's vague about the reasons but very insistent. The real reason is of course that he feels he cannot go through with Irenicus' orders and is desperately seeking some way to undo Irenicus' geas. Or he is simply taking time to pray to Ilmater in preparation for his impending death, in light of his decision not to betray the PC.

Perhaps he gives a false reason for leaving the party at that point, such as he recognizes some faces on the island that could seriously interfere with the plan to rescue Imoen. He refuses to give specifics but advises it's best for the party's sake that he hole up in a room and lay low for the Imoen rescue.

At that point the PC can insist that Yoshi stay or cut him lose. Naturally, some NPCs would accuse him of cowardice. The PC as well could have that dialogue option.

If PC demands that Yoshi remain in the party, then the game plays out as normal with Irenicus. Yoshi's betrayal is revealed. He dies.

But if the PC allows him to temporarily drop from the party, Yoshi requests that he be allowed to rejoin the party after their mission to rescue Imoen in Spellhold.

If the party already has six members at that time, it would be nifty if one of the pirates in the tavern overhears the party's dilemma and pipes up that he can accomodate one (and one only) passenger back to Athkatla (for a handsome sum that is deducted from cash). Then just use the improved kick-out dialogue as usual to have the booted NPC hang out at the Copper Coronet.

At some point later in the game Yoshi fesses up. Then PC can either boot him, keep him, attack him, what have you.

If one wanted to get even more elaborate, I would play up the fact that Yoshi is the first Amnian the PC meets on his journey. In that regard, for SoA he's sort of the 'Scarecrow' to your 'Dorothy', if you will. He might be given a few interjections commenting about Athkatla, and its culture and denizens. Etc. I.e., he becomes a kind of trusted advisor about the city.

Miloch, if you have any interest in developing a minimod for this, let me know, and if needed I'd be happy to write dialogues for it. Even just the simplest realization of this idea would be worthwhile, I think.

Other than the code to keep Yoshi from dying it could have the following dialogues:

* Yoshi requests to temporarily drop from party in Brynlaw and hole up in the Vulgar Monkey for mysterious reasons

* After the party returns from Spellhold Yoshi happy and relieved to rejoin (he succeeded in getting Irenicus' geas dispelled)

* Pirate Bill offers passage home for any *one* NPC that the party needs to boot by virtue of Yoshi rejoining

* a confession by Yoshi some time later in the game, PC's options to react

I'm not a coder, or I'd otherwise take it on myself.

Archived