Is the Fixpack compatible with no-CD patches?

Guest Jerry Whorebach

Guest Jerry Whorebach

Avast, I am a scurvy software pirate with a block of wood for a CD-ROM drive and a wheeled cart for legs and two old tennis balls that a dog chewed for testicles. Is your mod accessible to the disabled AS IS REQUIRED BY STATE LAW?

Say, you're a pirate....

Is it true that pirates are really true neutral in alignment? I realize it's very forward of me to ask perfect strangers about their alignments, but it's a matter of national security of interest to a few people.

jesus christ almighty... :)

mad props to CamDawg, Andyr and Sim for not only remaining civil in that thread, but for actually trying to engage in rational dialogue: yr more patient than i would be!

Guest Jerry Whorebach
Say, you're a pirate....

Is it true that pirates are really true neutral in alignment? I realize it's very forward of me to ask perfect strangers about their alignments, but it's a matter of national security of interest to a few people.

Here's your problem, someone's tried to pour a mix of moral relativism and situational ethics into a device that only accepts absolutes, and he's gummed up the works with indecision. Yep, same thing happened to Noam Chomsky's garbage disposal, I had to charge him an arm and a leg. I can't rightly unpack my Trompenaars without starting the clock, but I like you, so here's some free advice:

There's this genie, Aataqah, and he's always going on about his idea for a machine that determines alignment. Track him down and he'll hook you up.

The NO-CD hack only bypasses a copy protection check in the EXE; it has no bearing on the game itself or any mods you may install, unless for some reason they require output from that copy protection function. Of course, this assumes you have a valid NO-CD hack and also a full install of the game (otherwise you'd still need CDs to load areas and movies).

Another possibly related point is that you can run the game without any registration in Windows. I found this out after copying my BG installs straight over from an old computer using drag and drop in Windows Explorer. To run the game in this fashion, you need to edit BALDUR.INI and make sure the path information is accurate, then run BGMAIN.EXE for BG2 or BGMAIN2.EXE for BG1. This bypasses the loader menu (separate program, usually BALDUR.EXE) that checks registry keys to determine if you've installed the game or not. The game will run fine this way so long as all required data files are present; I'm currently up to the final challenge in ToB and haven't encountered any install-related issues.

I can't believe I am about to say this, but...

Oh, okay, this isn't going to offend me as much as I thought. Drake127's Mini Infinity CD Image is a better no CD method. Once set up has a virtual CD drive you never have to worry about cracking executables or finding CDs again. I can't find a link for it though, I'm sure it must be around somewhere.

Another possibly related point is that you can run the game without any registration in Windows.

None of the games require registration in Windows, I was considering writing an NSIS script to deliberately deregister IE games but found that every language seemed to have a different entry so I didin't bother. IWD1, IWD2 and PS:T do require one entry, however, the one added to stop the "Please register with Black Isle" screen or whatever it is popping up. If someone knows of a hack to stop that being needed, please share.

Guest ABD (anonymous by design)
jesus christ almighty... :)

mad props to CamDawg, Andyr and Sim for not only remaining civil in that thread, but for actually trying to engage in rational dialogue: yr more patient than i would be!

Off-topic: That discussion reminds me of a recent car trip in which several younger relatives of mine got into a fight over something or other, which the parents got them to agree to settle by a coin toss. They (the kids) then proceeded to get into an even bigger fight over who would get to call heads/tails. :)

Disclaimer notice: the above should not be contrued to state or imply a position on either side of the referred discussion (c.f. thread, link: "few people," Nythrun); nor should it be construed to imply that the author believes or argues that any of the participants in the referred discussion are minors, have the brain capacity of minors, or typically behave as though they are such entities; nor that they are, or have ever demonstrated qualities or personalities similar to, anyone ever related to me by blood, marriage, adoption, etc. please don't hurt me.

Archived